by Melmcg78 Investigator
Investigator

How do I switch off voicemail now I'm abroad? Will I be charged £5 to do it?

I am in the US and I forgot to switch off my voicemail. I know I can text 150 vm and get it switched off but wil I get charged for a whole day's usage of £4-5 if I text one message?

also, I have messages that came when I was at Heathrow and didn't listen to them. Can I listen for free on wifi calling?  I feel like I'm going to get charged a lot to pick up 3 messages from England and send a text and want to avoid this!

Help! 

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: How do I switch off voicemail now I'm abroad? Will I be charged £5 to do it?

Text VM OFF to 150. You should only be charged 1 text msg.

WiFi Calling from EE is not available abroad.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Re: How do I switch off voicemail now I'm abroad? Will I be charged £5 to do it?

Hi @Melmcg78 and welcome to the community.

Has sending the text message resolved your issue?

Many thanks,

Lee

by Melmcg78 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Lee.

thanks for the welcome.

I think I need to listen to those messages but unsure of the charges.

also any text I send will start my bundle for the day won't it? And that is £5 for texts and calls in the US.  That's what I want to avoid, but cannot email EE directly. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Melmcg78

When you're abroad within the EU you can be left voicemail messages without being charged. However if you travel outside the EU, you will incur call charges when people leave you voicemails.

Turning voicemail diverts off

If you don't want to be charged for voicemails while you're abroad you can switch your voicemail diverts off by texting VM OFF to 150. This will mean that anyone who calls you won't be able to leave a voicemail message.

You can either call us to get in touch with us.  

Or, if your a pay monthly personal EE customer,  please log in to your MYEE and await a live chat with an advisor.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

by Melmcg78 Investigator
Investigator

Hi.

i have no mobile signal so I cannot text to switch off voicemail.  So annoying. 

I also cannot live chat.  I am sure I will get charged £5 for one text and as I cannot call or get enough signal for live chat I can't do anything.  I'm not impressed that EE cannot be emailed for clarity. It's a big lack of service for customers.

If I get some signal I'll text 150 but when I get home I'm not paying £5 for one text, they can wipe that charge as it's ridiculous for one text.  And I added a bundle for the US and no one mentioned the voicemail issue at the time.

ah well. Here's hoping no one else calls me and costs me money leaving a message!

doea anyone know how much the charge is for voicemails left?  What if I don't pick them up till I return, do I still get charged?

by Melmcg78 Investigator
Investigator

And thank you to those replying to me! I appreciate it. Aloha to you all from Hawaii 😀

by Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

If some one leaves u a voicemail you are charged for the incoming call @ what ever the country you are in Hawaii I take it.. PLUS your phone going to voicemail. If this is your first time being charged for voicemail whilst roaming EE will tend to waive the charges. In future text VM OFF to 150 to deactivate.  And yes you guessed it VM ON to turn it back on. 😊 text HELP to 150 for all other things..☺

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Not if you are in EU.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.