by absalomg
Visitor

How do I block calls, texts and data usage when I'm overseas

how do I block calls, texts and data usage to my phone whilst overseas? I'm trying to avoid roaming charges

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: How do I block calls, texts and data usage when I'm overseas

Hi @absalomg,

Welcome to the EE Community.

On EE plans you can only use data overseas if you have roaming data included in your plan or if you purchase a data add on.

With calls, as long as you don't answer or make a call you won't be charged.

Texts are free to receive, so you'll only be charged for sending a text.

Hope this helps.

James

12 REPLIES 12
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

to totally block all three then you should either: 

• Turn your phone off; 
  • Or remove the sim;

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by
Solution

Hi @absalomg,

Welcome to the EE Community.

On EE plans you can only use data overseas if you have roaming data included in your plan or if you purchase a data add on.

With calls, as long as you don't answer or make a call you won't be charged.

Texts are free to receive, so you'll only be charged for sending a text.

Hope this helps.

James

by Mutley Contributor
Contributor

I have an iPhone XS with the dual-SIM feature. One of the specific purposes of this feature is to allow you to use a local PAYG SIM in another country to avoid roaming charges.

I want to use the e-SIM for my EE number whilst in the UK or EU, and the physical SIM for travel to non-EU countries. Whilst away, I wanted calls to my EE number forwarded to another UK number for someone else to handle.

I called in to customer services to double-check how this would work if I got them to disable international roaming on my account before travelling to a non-EU destination or understand what to do on the phone before travelling to sort it out myself.

I was told that if I did this, when calls were forwarded I would still be charged for two calls to the non-EU country (once for the call out to the handset and once for the call back to the UK-based voicemail system).

When I challenged this, I was told it was because call forwarding is linked to the voicemail system. I asked what would happen if I didn’t have a forward set and someone called to leave a voicemail. I was told that I would still get the double charge for a call to the non-EU country.

This seems perverse to me. How does EE know the phone is in the other country and charge for routing to and from it if the e-SIM never connects to a mobile network at the destination?

I planned to ensure this never happened by going to Settings > Mobile Data > and under DATA PLANS selecting the EE e-SIM data plan and switching off Turn On This Line. I suppose I could have also disabled automatic network selection to achieve the same effect.

I could understand that I would face these charges if I did connect to an overseas network with roaming enabled.

Is what I’m told correct?

by

Good Morning @Mutley

Yes that's correct,

If you are abroad and look to divert your calls back to the UK you will be charged the standard Roaming Charges for the country you're in. 

Katie 🙂

by Mutley Contributor
Contributor

Good morning @Katie_B,

Thanks so much for your reply.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t really answer my question. Surely turning off the eSIM as I described is like leaving a physical SIM at home. How can your network know I’m in another country?

What if I swapped my EE account back to a physical SIM, removed it and left it in the UK whilst travelling?

by

Hi @Mutley

The eSIM needs to be active to divert the calls, your 2nd option could be a possibility which would also prevent charges for being outside the UK/Europe.

Katie 🙂

by Mutley Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Katie_B

Thanks again for responding. Smiley Happy

I can’t be making myself clear.

By ‘active’, do you mean registered on the EE network for your account so that it is associated with your number, or do you mean the phone must be on and connected to the cellular network?

If I turn on call forwarding and toggle Turn On This Line to off on the eSIM, then call forwarding still works, just like when you have the phone switched off. That’s what I would expect. I tried it and it works. 

I think the key to my understanding here is when roaming is detected.

I think that if the SIM never registers with a foreign network, then charges remain the same as if the phone remained in the UK. Is that right?

by

Hi @Mutley

The call forwarding element will still work. As long you turn the eSIM line off before travelling, it won't then pick up a roaming network. That way you won’t be charged roaming rates for the length of the diverted calls.

Think of turning the eSIM line off like taking a SIM card out of a phone or having it turned off. It would still be active, just not available.

Hope this helps.

Chris

by Mutley Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @Christopher_G, that's very helpful. I'm glad it works as I expected.

One final thing. If, before travelling, I disabled roaming by calling you or sending the right text message (if that is possible).

1. Would that be an alternative way of avoiding these charges? 

2. Would a call forward still work?

by

Hi @Mutley

The call forwarding function should still work if you're abroad and roaming is not enabled.

You would only get charged if your phone connected to an international network, which it wouldn't be able to do with roaming switched off.

Chris 🙂

by Mutley Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @Christopher_G. I thought as much. 

By way of a bit of constructive feedback:

• I was prompted to start this conversation by a phone call with a customer service agent. Whist she was very freindly and wanted to help, she was plainly misinformed and gave me completely the wrong advice.

• I feel that the help pages on this could do with updating. Specifically, the page on "How do I avoid international roaming charges?" has a section entitled "How do I enable or disable roaming?" that provides no information on disabling it (except data roaming). In fact, can you do this without calling customer services?

• I realise that the dual-SIM iPhones are relatively new, but since one use case is precisely about this, I reckon this help page should provide information about it.

• Finally, I think EE shoud catch up with Vodafone and O2 by offering some sort of flat fee to accommodate a certain number of calls and texts per day when roaming outside the EU. 

Anyway, thanks very much again for your help.

Smiley Happy

by

Thanks for the feedback, @Mutley

Sorry to hear that the information that you were given on the phone call wasn't quite correct. I'm glad you've found your answer here in the community.

I've passed on your suggestions about the help pages, hopefully this'll help other users with a similar query find the information that they need.

Have a safe trip when you travel abroad. 🙂

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.