by DRH50 Contributor
Contributor

Hi I can’t connect my iPhone to the local phone networks in Guinea-Bissau?

Roaming is enabled. I’ve restarted the phone. I’ve switched 4G off. I can see two local networks - MTM and Orange - but the phone won’t connect to either. Any suggestions please?

15 REPLIES 15
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Hi I can’t connect my iPhone to the local phone networks in Guinea-Bissau?

Roaming is enabled on what? On your phone or on your a/c? You need it enabled on both.

Did you activate roaming on your MyEE a/c before you left? Presumably not. Having a roaming allowance does not auto enable it. You may still be able to in your online a/c under Manage Devices. If not, you will need to call EE. Use the landline nos. in my sig.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @DRH50

Thanks for coming to the community.

You can check your roaming status by logging into your My EE account online and go to Menu > Manage Device > Roaming Abroad > This will show as ticked if roaming is activated.

If this is not shown as ticked, can you activate this?

Leanne 🙂

by DRH50 Contributor
Contributor

Hi Leanne. Thanks for the advice. Roaming is on on my phone and also on my account. When I was travelling here I came via Morocco and was able to make calls there. It’s only since I have been in Guinea Bissau that I have no service

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@DRH50  Have you restarted the device since you got there ?

by DRH50 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks XRaySpeX. Yes I did enable roaming on the account before leaving the uk and I also asked the EE agent to double check when I bought and extra minutes/text page so I know roaming is on the account. 

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Roaming is enabled on what? On your phone or on your a/c? You need it enabled on both.

Did you activate roaming on your MyEE a/c before you left? Presumably not. Having a roaming allowance does not auto enable it. You may still be able to in your online a/c under Manage Devices. If not, you will need to call EE. Use the landline nos. in my sig.

by DRH50 Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chris_B. Yes I have restarted it and have just done so again but no luck. I wonder if anyone has managed to use their EE phone in Guinea-Bissau?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@DRH50  You should be able to use your device as THESE are the costs there.  Have you  tried switching off 4G and just selecting 3G 

by DRH50 Contributor
Contributor

Hi again. Yes the EE agent sent me this email rates so I expected I would be able to connect. I have switched off 4g and have just double checked. Still No Service. 

by

Hi @DRH50.

Is there anyone else with you using an EE phone?

Or even another UK mobile?

Jon

by DRH50 Contributor
Contributor

Hi, no one else with a uk phone. The people I’m with have local phones either with Orange or MTN. 

by

Thanks @DRH50.

Could you try a manual network search again?

It may take a while for any networks to appear when your phone is searching.

Jon

by DRH50 Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jon. I can see both networks. MTN and Orange on the manual select screen. If I select orange the tick by the network just appears for a couple of seconds. On MTN the tick stays longer but still no service. I am going to be out of range of Wi-fi for a couple of days now so will need to try again next week. Thanks to people on the forum for trying to help. David 

by

Thanks again @DRH50.

Let us know if you manage to get this sorted next time you have WiFi.

Enjoy your trip!

Jon

by DRH50 Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. Just to let you know I didn’t manage to get my phone working in Guinea-Bissau. I had No Service all the week I was there. I am now back at Casablanca airport in Morocco on my way back to the uk and the phone is working fine here. I’ll speak to EE when I’m home. It may be that Guinea-Bissau is so rarely visited that no one has reported the problem before. Thanks for forum members for trying to help. David

by

Hi @DRH50.

Thanks for taking the time to come back to us.

I hope you had a great time in Guinea-Bissau, and I'm sorry to hear you didn't have service while you were there.

It definitely features on our roaming page, but maybe you're right about it being rarely visited by community members.

I'm glad your phone is working now, safe travels back to the UK 🙂

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.