by CJones Investigator
Investigator

Going abroad

I am going to Belgium on Thursday, what must I do to ensure I don’t get any extra charges to use my phone to call home, text, use my data etc, is that even possible?

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Going abroad

It is part of EU. You may use your allowances there with up to 15 GB data per month if you have more.

If you are on contract, remember to text ROAMING to 150 before you leave to check roaming is enabled on your account.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Profile closed
Not applicable

@XRaySpeX wrote:

It is part of EU. You may use your allowances there with up to 15 GB data per month if you have more.

If you are on contract, remember to text ROAMING to 150 before you leave to check roaming is enabled on your account.

This gives me an opportunity to give some information AND ask a question. @CJones, during your journey make sure that you don't connect to a satellite phone service. That would be very costly. Some ships have them. I don't know about Cross Channel Shipping, the Channel Tunnel or aeroplanes. And once you get to your destination you should restart your phone. https://shop.ee.co.uk/international/travelling-abroad @XRaySpeX, I tested my mobile today by texting Roaming to 150 and I got a reply saying that it's set up to Roam. But, I notice on my Android phone that in Settings, More, Mobile Networks, Data Roaming. Well, at present it is Off. Must I toggle that to On if I go abroad? And if so then when must I toggle that to On? I'm not going abroad soon but I've been wondering about this after seeing people having Roaming issues on here.
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Profile closed: Enabling roaming on your EE account is for roaming in general, calls+text+data. The data roaming option on your phone is to allow it to be used for data while abroad. Only switch it ON while you need data.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Profile closed
Not applicable

@XRaySpeX wrote:

@Profile closed: Enabling roaming on your EE account is for roaming in general, calls+text+data. The data roaming option on your phone is to allow it to be used for data while abroad. Only switch it ON while you need data.

Hmmm, in that case am I right in saying that effectively you have to triple unlock to use data abroad? First, there's to make sure that you are Roaming Enabled by EE, second is to toggle Data Roaming to On on your actual phone, and third is to have Data toggled to On? So, basically you have two safety settings on your actual phone if you want to not use data abroad which you can use, right? But, also if you do want to use data abroad you have to have all 3 On, right?
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Profile closed: Right! However I'd expect many will have Mobile Data ON most of the time. I do!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.