by mpark17 Contributor
Contributor

Go Further Roaming Add-On in Canada/USA for more than 60 days

I'll be travelling to Canada over the next year for up to 3 months at a time and am looking at the Go Futher Roaming Add-On. I understand that roaming in the EU using your inclusive allowance is limited to 60 days out of every 120 but I'm wondering if there's the same limit when purchasing the Go Further add-on for Canada/USA. A customer services rep on online chat said the limit does apply while another on the phone said it doesn't.

Can anyone clarify this for me? The add-on has a minimum contract of 6 months, so it would seem odd if the limit does apply, as I'd effectively be paying for 3 months of a service I can't use. Thanks for your help.

26 REPLIES
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Go Further Roaming Add-On in Canada/USA for more than 60 days

Hi @mpark17

Welcome to the community.

The 'stable links' policy in our pay monthly price guide only references the EU/EEA:-

We will consider you have a stable link to the UK if you spend at least half of your time during any 4 month period within the UK.

If your usage abroad in the EU/EEA/Switzerland exceeds this, you will be alerted by text, and after a 2-week period we may charge you for services you use. Where your usage no longer indicates a risk of abusive or anomalous use we will stop charging you the surcharge.

Examples of this are where you stop permanent use and resume periodic use when roaming in the EU.

Where we have evidence of organised reselling of our UK SIM cards to persons not residing in or having stable links to the UK we may block the SIM card and roaming services.

The go further add-on allows you to use your allowance in USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia and New Zealand and is not part of this.

Hope this clears that up for you.

Chris Smiley Happy

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Christopher_G  Just so I understand this.   So this means you can use this add on for the whole of the 6 month period if your out of the UK for this time. 

by mpark17 Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Christopher_G. Thanks for responding.

I've now spoken to four different EE team members (yourself included) and been told yes by two and no by two.

Can you double-confirm (sorry for being a pain) that if I purchase the Go Further Roaming add-on (minimum 6 month contract, at £10/month), I will be able to stay in Canada and use my EE allowance for as long as the add-on is active?

Thanks!

by

Hi @mpark17 and @Chris_B

This is my understanding, based on the price plan guide terms and conditions.

Just for added clarity, I have asked a detailed question to one of our pay monthly roaming subject experts.

As soon as I have an answer, I'll let you know.

Chris

by mpark17 Contributor
Contributor

Hey Chris, just wondering if you had an update on this for us? Thanks!

by

Hi @mpark17

@Christopher_G is back in tomorrow and I will see if he's had any further update for you.

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers

Richard

Smiley Happy

by matt55 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

What I don't understand is that if you're worried about people reselling your SIM cards overseas, then instead of locking people into a 6 month sentence with this add-on (when in reality most people will need it for a few weeks, so getting a single month would make sense), why not make it so that it's expires after a single month but you can only purchase it a certain amount of times over a certain period?

If I'm headed to the US/NZ etc on a short break, I'm more likely to get a 3 PAYG and top up with £10 minimum and be able to roam with that, admittedly it won't have my EE number, but I'm saving £50 so that's a no brainer.

by mpark17 Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Christopher_G - any update on this?

Can I also ask about the terms policy documents. The ones I can find online only state that the "stable link" policy applies to EU roaming. There's nothing about non-EU roaming. 

by

Hi @mpark17

Thanks for coming back.

I shall speak with @Christopher_G and see if there is any update.

Thank you

Richard

Smiley Happy

by

Hi @mpark17

I don't have an update quite yet.

I'm working on it and will let you know as soon as I have a reply.

Chris

by mpark17 Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Christopher_G - Any update on this? I'm looking to change network and EE will get my custom if you can confirm this! Thanks,

by

I've chased this up @mpark17

Hopefully, I'll have a definitive answer soon and I'll post it here.

Chris

by Ste111
Visitor

Hi,

I'm in a similar boat on a max plan and just wondering if there's an update on this?

I'm due an upgrade and wouldn't want to sign up for another 24 months if I can't use it for longer than 60 days in the States. Thanks.

by

Hi @Ste111,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Sorry, we're still looking into this one.

@Christopher_G will post an update as soon as he has more information.

Thanks

James

by Grump Investigator
Investigator

This add-on has now 'disappeared' (without my intervention) from the selected add-on list on my phone after ~90 days, and was used for x2 one week duration visits to Canada from the UK in that ~90 day time period.  Exactly the same has happened with my partner's EE phone.  Suspect that EE is already secretly enforcing some 'unpublished' conditions regards this add-on...... does anyone else have the same problem?

by

Hi @Grump,

Thanks for visiting the EE Community.

Have you reported this to customer services?

James

by Grump Investigator
Investigator

Yes,

I contacted customer services in the first instance, before making my post.

Unfortunately EE customer services didn’t live up to their title.  They were not very helpful at all, only ‘confirming’ the Add-On had been billed in my previous bill …..”so should still be ok.”  Really.

Somewhat unhelpfully, the EE customer services, eschews e-mail contact.

This isn’t very 2018……. & also makes for inconsistent & generally patchy customer service responses.  For example, just scroll up & see how long this post has being dragging on, with EE taking an age to clarify via this post just what exactly is being offered by the Go Further Roaming add-on.  BTW, don't just reply with a link to the Go Further Roaming FAQ's/T&C's......  

by

Thanks for coming back to us @Grump

I have sent you a private message on here to get some details.

Speak soon, Leanne.

by Grump Investigator
Investigator

Hi EE support team.

Spoke to Peter a couple of weeks ago who confirmed:

1. There is an issue with the EE app being disconnected to the EE back office servers & the Go Further Roaming add-on is not showing as an active add-on via the app.  However the add-on should still work, but is only 'visible' retrospectively via the monthly billing fee for the add-on.

Question - Any update from EE on the status for a 'fix' for the EE app?

2. Also seems EE may be considering trying to retrospectively apply the 'stable links' policy to the Go Further Roaming add-on.  However, would question not only the morale position, but also the legality of such a move by EE to try & enforce a return to UK after 2 months for someone 'Go Further Roaming' in America, Canada, Mexico, Australia or New Zealand for extended periods.

Question - This has been asked several times within this thread, but not yet answered;  When are EE going to properly clarify the situation on this add-on?

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.