iPhone X
    Order now
x
by EE Community Manager
EE Community Manager

Free EU roaming: Who’s covered and what’s included

Update 15th June: We’ve updated this article with new info about roaming on EE, and removed parts that are no longer relevant.

We’ve got some great news: all EE customers can now take their minutes, texts and data with them to 48 destinations across Europe.

Can’t wait to jump on a plane and celebrate? Find out more about roaming with EE>

Whether you’re visiting family overseas, travelling for work, or you just like a good holiday, we know these plans will be popular. But what exactly is included, and who benefits?

Who’s covered

This change applies to all new, existing and upgrading customers, plus those switching plan mid-contract. Basically, everyone is covered.

So whether you’re on pay monthly or pay as you go, a mobile broadband plan or you have a business contract with us, you can take your UK allowances with you to the EU.

Read more about our roaming changes and where you can take your allowances>

What’s included

The change means you’ll be able to use your minutes, texts and data in 48 destinations across Europe, including the likes of Switzerland, Norway and Iceland.

Read the full list of countries included >

If you’re a bit of globetrotter and want to use your allowances even further afield, our new 4GEE Max plans give you even more destinations, adding the USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia and New Zealand.

This is a big change and we hope you’ll enjoy this great new benefit abroad this summer! You’re bound to have a few questions, so feel free to ask us anything in the comments below.

eu_roaming_community_980x980.jpg

210 REPLIES
by tee_cee Investigator
Investigator

Re: Free EU roaming: Who’s covered and what’s included

Hi,

is there any change at all, for current 4GEE Max plans?

t

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hello @tee_cee

There will be no change for the current Max Plans as you can already use your minutes, texts and data while roaming in the EU.

I would recommend you contacting customer service on 150 from your EE phone on the 10th May 2017 and enquiring about the new Max Plan as you will benefit from roaming in Australia, Canada, Mexico, New Zealand and the United States.

If you decided you would like to be moved to the new Max Plan, customer service can change your current Max Plan to the new Max Plan and you will benefit from the new roaming immediately.

by tee_cee Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the reply. My understanding is that currently, on the 4geeMax plan, the maximum period that you can roam, using your data allowance, in the EU, is 30 days. Will this change after 10th May/ 15th June?

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @tee_cee and welcome to the Community.

I'm having this one looked into for you, soon as I know I will pop back.

Many thanks,

Lee

by LegendaryAced Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hello,

I am on a SIM Only Max Plan currently. Will I be able to use free roaming in the additional non-European destinations from 15 June 2017 or do I have to move to a new Max Plan?

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hello @LegendaryAced

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community. Smiley Happy

Unfortunately your current SIMO Max Plan does not and will not include Australia, Canada, Mexico, New Zealand and the United States after the 15th June 2017.

Once the new SIMO Max Plans are launched (there is currently no date set at the moment, the date will be confirmed sometime in May), you will need to contact customer service on 150 from your EE phone and they will change your current Max Plan to one of the new Max Plans.

by bradleyrefrig Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

So I signed a new business contract in October for 2 years, some of my phones contracts include Europe (not a Bolt on) 

So as things are changing dramatically from June will I be able to change these contracts as we are will be paying considerably more for no benefit ? 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I've just been reading the BT Mobile T&Cs for their roam like home, and it's interesting that they exclude EU mobile calls when roaming (and also charge to pick up voicemail)

Calls & Texts within the same Roam Like Home country (to a UK mobile or standard fixed-line number)

Vodafone explicity allow mobiles in their T&Cs. EE don't seem to mention it either way.

Calls to standard mobiles and landlines between Roam-free destinations are also included.

So will EE charge for calling an EU mobile when roaming in the EU? It's very hard to know if a number is a landline or mobile?

by
EE Employee

Hello @bradleyrefrig

Welcome back to the Community! Smiley Happy

You can certainly speak to business customer services once the new plans are released on the 10th of May, to see if there's a better plan for you.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by
EE Employee

Morning @christery

All calls within the included countries are inclusive - it doesn't matter if it's a mobile or a landline number.

Here's the information from the Pay Monthly T&C's:

For example:

• calls and text within France are included;
  • calls and texts from France to the UK are included; and
  • calls and texts from France to Germany because both are included countries.

The maximum call duration per call made using inclusive roaming allowances is 120 minutes after which time, you must redial to continue the call.

Allowances do not include calls to:

• calls or texts to any international mobile, landline or premium rate numbers whilst in the UK. Any such calls will be charged at your normal plan rate;
  • making/receiving calls and/or texts or using data whilst roaming on a satellite network (access to such networks from your normal phone are offered on some aeroplanes and ships whilst in flight or away from land); and
  • making/receiving calls and/or texts whilst in an included country to a non-included country (see t&c's for a full list of included countries). For example calls and texts to and from France to Afghanistan are not included within your allowance.

Hope this helps clear things up!

by bradleyrefrig Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you, but I can't see them letting someone with 18 months left change mid contract ... 

I wonder what EE policy is when brexit happens, I think EE will go back to the bad old days of high costs unless one of the carriers break ranks.  

by
EE Employee

Hi @bradleyrefrig

You can move price plan as long as it's within the same price bracket or higher.

It'll definitely be worth having a word with them.

by Ad13 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Established Contributor

It seems that you have not read the whole article. Especially where it says:

Under the small print of the EU rules, mobile firms are in fact able to apply a fair use limit to any mobile deal with unlimited or "very cheap" data, and if you go over that cap they can then charge up to roughly £7.80/GB

And if you actually read the whole regulation from EU there is a formula that providers can use to calculate the FUP. The FUP formula is this: ammount you pay per month x 2 / 8.70 = GBs of EU roaming data FUP.

It is very easy to understand why 15GB is generous for most plans.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

In this instance I agree that 15GB is a very reasonable FUP, especiually when you see what Three IE are trying to implement to get around the spirit of the law.

Give users a large amount of data and a few will abuse it. There are people that run constant speed tests with their unlimited three data "because they can". 

EE have to pay for data, and I'd rather have a decent FUP in place than see large price increases.

It's meant for people to use when on holiday or when on business trips. What are people doing that genuinely requires that much data?

Established Contributor

Please keep in mind that the formula I posted is to get a rough number. There are other variations like the ammount someone pays has to be calculated in Euros excluding VAT, etc. Euro-GBP exchange for MNOs is calculated once per year.

Which brings up an issue when customers are on handset contracts of (roughly) over £60 (incl VAT) a month. In those contracts 15GB might not comply with EU regulation. Let's wait and see the new terms and conditions first though.

by modev
Explorer

So I've just got off the phone from CS and they tell me that my existing Max plan will now work in the USA - no need to change plans. Result Smiley Happy

Only thing they were not too sure on was how my Shared Phone would behave.  They tell me that the data would be fine, but calls/text may or may not be included.  I know that from a recent trip to France that calls/texts were not included but the sharer could use data just fine.  I presume this would be the case for USA?  Does anyone know for sure?

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@guesty1234 was just told that existing users have to wait till the 15th June for existing users. I would be wary of believing existing users can roam in the US for free from today, especially as they are adding the travel data pass for current max plan users from 15th June.

by guesty1234 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Ffs it always happens with EE, whenever something new gets released everyone gets conflicting information, weather that is from CS or this forum

My current understanding is that nothing has changed for exisiting Max plan customers, and that if they want the new including roaming in the USA etc. they have to phone CS on the 15th of June as it involves a small price increase.

Can anyone else confirm/deny?

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.