by TheMPC Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Existing Max Plan Customer

As an exiting Max Plan customer, I am excited to see there are New Max plan tariffs I can use in America.  Based on the marketing, I understood I need to move over to one of the new tariffs, which is far easier than having a Three PAYG SIM for US visits!

Today, I spoke to "James" at Darlington to ask about moving to a new tariff, but he said USA roaming usage was already included in my plan! I checked, and he went off and confirmed with his team leader.  He would put a note on my records to detail the call. No tariff change is needed!

Not to doubt this, I then spoke to "Anil" via online chat, who said come the 15th June I would automatically get USA roaming usage, and no tariff change is needed!  Luckily, I saved the transcript showing this.

So, the question is, do I believe what these two agents have said, despite the marketing material saying it is for new and upgrading customers only?!  Or do I just revert back to my PAYG sim for USA usage ?! 😄

46 REPLIES 46
by
EE Employee

Re: Existing Max Plan Customer

Hi @TheMPC and welcome to the Community.

The information you have been provided with is incorrect, in order to take advantage of the added countries (USA, Canada etc)  you would need to move over to one of the new max plans.

So I can get your experience looked into and get you the help you need, I have sent you a private message.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I have called in three time now over the last 4 days and each time I have been told exactly the same when asking to move across to the new Max Plan. There is no need these plan are for new customers -extising Max Plan customers will receives all the benfits from June 15. 

This needs to be addressed very quickly by EE.

Im still on the old Max Plan becuase the agents will not move me across to the New Max plan, becuase they insisit I will get all teh benfits from June 15.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @leeuk,

I'm very sorry to hear you have been given the wrong information on more than one occasion.

The information posted above by @Lee_H is correct.

Please get in touch with customer services and ask them to change you over to the new Max plan.

Thanks

James

by ltrm83
Visitor

Hello, 

i have also been told the same information.  Currently new and upgrading customers will have the added benefit of using the new 5 added countries before current Max Plan customers.

15th June 2017 the system is being updated so that all Max Plan customers get the same offering.

i to have notes on the account, screen shots of the chat, email of the chat and an email from the tech team dealing with the upgraded system.

The wording of the Tech guys are as follows :

So, we have the new MAX plans that include 5 extra countries including the EU already to use roaming this includes usa, Canada, mexico, new Zealand and Australia. If you're a new customer you will get this new plan straight away. But if you're already on a MAX plan and are an existing customer, your MAX plan will upgrade to the 5 extra countries after the 15th of June

So... all in all there are NOT two types of MAX plans. its just that new MAX plan customers and current MAX plan customers will be able to use the new roaming features at different times

Valued Contributor

I had a call back from EE last night (I think triggered by the comments on I raised on twitter), saying I do need to change tariff. I will keep all my loyalty add-ons, so basically I will remain on the same tariff, but with USA usage my tariff will increase £2 / month - which is what I was expecting!  I've got the agents email and so I will email him next week to make the change (will be easier than swapping to a Three PAYG each time, plus EE include Canada which Three don't).

The advertising is clear that non-EU usage is for new and upgrading customers, but maybe not that clear to internal agents - there could be some "unxpected" roaming costs being experienced over the next few months - which may cause a battle to get refunded!!

This is my transcript from an online agent clearly giving the wrong info!

Anil: 

You can use your current plan in USA from 15th of June with out any extra charges.

Anil: 

If you want use before  15 th then you will need to go for a plan with higher price.

Me: But from the 15th of June it is automatically included?
Me: So no change is needed?
Anil: 

Yes, you are correct.

Me: Great, then I leave my plan as it is
Anil: 

Sure.

Anil: 

Is that all sorted for you today? Are you happy with the service from EE overall?

Me: Thank you for confirming

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @TheMPC,

I'm sorry that you didn't get the right information when you contacted our online chat team.

Glad it's now being sorted out for you. Smiley Happy

Thanks

James

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@TheMPC wrote:

but with USA usage my tariff will increase £2 / month - which is what I was expecting!  

What? So far everything I've read on EE website and forum suggests that all existing MAX plan customers can switch to the new MAX plans to get inclusive USA etc., at no additional cost.

What's this extra £2/month about?

by davidthornton Established Contributor
Established Contributor

If EE are really going to have two different tariff versi...

If EE are really going to have two different tariff versions called Max then whoever decided this naming convention is crazy. I spoke with EE CSR today (Plymouth) and was informed that new Max tariffs will be available as of 15th June and will be £2 more than the existing Max tariffs. In my opinion EE should either move customers on the existing Max tariffs to the new Max tariffs and keep the prices as it is, or they should call the new Max tariffs something else instead if they want to charge £2 more per month.

Some of those that stay on existing Max tariffs after 15th June (let's call them old Max) are possibly going to be rather confused. What happens to the 15Gb EU data when roaming limit on existing Max tariffs after 15th June for those with more than 15Gb UK data? Does it simply become invalid due to the rule change?

Incidentally I am on EE Extra 20Gb and am of the assumption that I could use my entire 20Gb allowance in the EU given I haven't been told I can't, after 15th June.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Re: If EE are really going to have two different tariff versi...

@TiffJ (EE forum admin) wrote this on a pinned post regarding EU Roaming:

Can’t wait until 15 June?

If you’re off on an early summer holiday soon (lucky you!) or you’ve got a May bank holiday jaunt planned, you can move to one of our new plans now. You’ll get all the roaming benefits without having to sign a new 24 month contract. Just call us on 150 from 10 May. 

--------------------------------------------------------

This makes it crystal clear that everyone currently on a Max plan can get on the 'new' Max plan free of charge and without having to enter a new contract period either.

I'm taking a screenshot of this just in case it disappears. I would expect EE to fully honour this publication, even if it turns out to be a mistake.

Valued Contributor

Re: If EE are really going to have two different tariff versi...

@DonDino

You can change price plan without starting a new contract as it's a price plan change - so what that is saying is correct.

If you're Max already and want just EU I don't see any point moving, as the price plans are higher cost and so there is no point in doing so.  The confusion occurs when you want the additional non-EU countries, as these were not in the original Max Plans.

Valued Contributor

@DonDino

These 2 articles show the new Max tariffs are for new / upgrading customers (ie not existing customers!)

Example 1

Example 2

Existing customers are able to switch to the new tariffs, but the new tariffs are more expensive than the "old" tariffs.    Before any loyalty discounts, I am currently on the 12GB package = £30.99.   The new max equivalent is now £32.99.   So if was to move to the new tarriff, then I my plan would increase £2 / month for the same allowance but I will then be entitled to the new countries.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Ok. Following this logic however, my own plan has reduced by £3 (I'm on the S7 Edge Good-As-New 15GB plan, it was 45.99, now 42.99.

Will EE let me switch to it and save £3/month?

Clearly not as according to plan moving rules I can only move to same or higher cost plan, right?

This is not just confusing any more, it is quite unfair, especially since initial advice suggests a free move to new Max Plan without extra cost.

Obviously I would like to move not for EU roaming, but for USA etc. roaming.

by
EE Employee

Hi @DonDino,

The information @TiffJ has provided in the roaming post is correct, you are able to move over to one of the new tariffs without any new contact length change.

The new tariff for yourself would see a small increase to £47.99 but this would give you access to all the new countries (USA, Mexico ETC)

Hope this helps,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@DonDino   You can not change tariffs to a lower cost just because EE has changed tariff costs for the same allowance within that tariff.  You took that tariff at that price and so agreed to pay that price.

whats not fair, you agreed to that contract when you took out that contract.   Price points change and that inevitable but EE are allowing you to change your tariff to one of these max plans without increasing your contract term, but you have to have the same or more costly tariff. Why should EE allow you to lower your contract, you want a cheaper tariff but you also agreed to pay the contract that you originally took out at the price.   

Even before all this you couldn't lower your tariff so why should EE allow that now, nothing has changed on this point. 

Valued Contributor

Indeed @DonDino - it is confusing, especially as EE agents seem to be equally misinformed!

I'm SimOnly, so not sure about the tariff your on, but it does appear yours adds an extra level of confusion.  For the SimOnly the tariffs appear to be equal, but cost more.

I'm actually on 12GB + 3GB free loyalty, and I did enquire if I did choose to move price plan, could I go a level down (given I would still keep the 3GB). As expected, this was a no as I can only move to the same or higher as it based on contract value.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I didn't say "it's not fair" so as to mean "it's against the contract I've agreed to". I know what I've agreed to and I am not contesting that.

Fairness can also be felt in the case where less than 1 month after I signed up with EE, they reduce the very same plan to which I signed up, increase the roaming countries available and say no you can't move into the new cheaper plan, but only higher.

Yes the rule existed from time immemorial, but the act of decreasing the price of my plan and not allowing me to move to it could be mitigated, for example, by allowing customers who have signed up within less than (say) 1-2 months to change into the new plans - that would be a good policy that would make it quite fair.

On the other hand, we've seen how advice given in this forum and over the chat CS has suggested Max Plan customers will either get the new roaming countries automatically, or will be able to move to the new plan without extra cost. This has now also been proven incorrect. It can be argued that it is unfair to get people's hopes up only to say "sorry, all these CS agents made the same mistake".

Of course I signed up to a contract at a certain price and with certain conditions and benefits in place, there's nothing to argue there.

One alternative action EE could take would be to add the extra roaming countries to existing Max Plans (without reducing the monthly cost). This would be ideal, as I (and I assume many others) do not want to go up to a higher data plan (don't need the data, nor of course the extra cost) just to have the roaming countries. As you say @Chris_B, EE allow plan changes to the same or higher cost. Well, is it fair that a tariff at the same cost does not exist any more? 

So as you can see there's lots of ways to increase fairness on the side of a network, or discuss what's fair and what's not in general, without making any mention of contracts and agreements.

I'm not saying I'm correct - indeed, there is no 'correct' and 'incorrect' thing to do here, it is a discussion and arguments about concepts on which different people will have different opinions.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Lee_H wrote:

The new tariff for yourself would see a small increase to £47.99 but this would give you access to all the new countries (USA, Mexico ETC)

Thank you @Lee_H. I assume I would be able to keep my 20% UniDAYS discount when moving to the more expensive new plan, correct?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@DonDino   I took a sim only max plan on the 30 April and I knew that EE was going to change its tariffs in line with the new rules on roaming. This has never been a secret that tariff allowances/prices will change.   

Wnat tariff do you have now ?  

by
EE Employee

@DonDino you 100% can keep your discount.

All you are changing is your tariff.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.