by Soco01 Investigator
Investigator

Ee in Italy

Hello,

Can someone help with advice on what I have to do to get my data pack to work outside of UK and France?  I prepaid for the 2GB data, but didnt activate, or do anything else. it worked seamlessly in France, but now we've been through Spain and, currently, Italy, I can't get any signal for data or be able to connect to make calls. It shows zero signal strength.

Do I need to change APN settings or something? Should I have activated something before leaving the UK?

I'm using SIM slot 1 on a Motorola G3 handset.

Thanks for any advice.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Soco01 Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Re: Ee in Italy

Hello and thanks again for your help.

I managed to get onto EE tech support tonight and we've solved the issue! It turned out, that despite my phone being set to auto select networks, it hasn't been doing it for EE. So, the solution is, whenever it may drop out, is to just search available networks and just keep manualy picking them, until you find the one that works.

This may be reqjired within the same country as EE say they dont know which particular carriers tower I'll hit at any given time. Obviously, Orange (france) must be very dominant in France, but the various networks in other countries arent auto connecting to my phone.

Anyway, its working for now and I'm happy and appreciative of all your responses.

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Soco01   Have you restarted the device?  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Soco01 

When did you last us your device in the UK?

The stable link might be your issue here. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Northerner   The stable link policy is just about using your allowance it should not turn off your Sim card or deactivate the signal it will just mean you will pay full roaming fees for your calls texts and data usage.  If EE think your over spending then they might cut you off.  But this is a PAYG not a contract so that shouldn’t happen. 

by Soco01 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for your replies.  Yes, I have restarted my phone several times, in different parts of the countries.

The card was last connected to ee in UK on 14 February 2019. Then the prepaid didn't renew, but now I'm off travelling again, I've recharged it and added a data pack.

I even resorted to deleting my original ee APN at one point then had to restore it to default ee which loaded from the SIM (it was the same as was was working in France).

With many weeks left in Europe, it would be nice if ee could help me with this.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Soco01  You can only use allowances for 2 months abroad at any one time.  You need a stable link with the UK and then means 60 days out of any 120 days.  As you’ve been a long time out of the UK I recommend you call customer services as it sounds like you’ve been disconnected because you’ve gone way way over the stable link policy. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Soco01.

Do you have any other UK mobile numbers that are working?

Does it show any signal at all?

Jon

by Soco01 Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Hello and thanks again for your help.

I managed to get onto EE tech support tonight and we've solved the issue! It turned out, that despite my phone being set to auto select networks, it hasn't been doing it for EE. So, the solution is, whenever it may drop out, is to just search available networks and just keep manualy picking them, until you find the one that works.

This may be reqjired within the same country as EE say they dont know which particular carriers tower I'll hit at any given time. Obviously, Orange (france) must be very dominant in France, but the various networks in other countries arent auto connecting to my phone.

Anyway, its working for now and I'm happy and appreciative of all your responses.

by
EE Community Support Team

Ah that's great, @Soco1

I'm glad you're all sorted. 😄

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.