by Mon24 Investigator
Investigator

Ecuador network

Hi, I’m currently on PAYG travelling in South America. Currently in Ecuador trying to connect to any available network here. However, still no service. Automatically it won’t find any service at all.

To keep my number I need to be active at least once every 3 months. It’s getting close and I’m afraid I’m going to loose my number as I cannot make calls or send a text message.

Any advice on how to connect to available networks? Or how to make sim works in Ecuador?!? 

13 REPLIES 13
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Ecuador network

@Mon24: FYI: You only need to make a chargeable call or text, buy a pack or add-on, use data or top-up at least once in 179 days to keep your SIM active.

Do you have credit to make roaming calls or texts? Have you bought a roaming data add-on? You can't use your UK packs & allowances there.

For costs there see https://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-costs/countries/ecuado... .

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Mon24 Investigator
Investigator

I have credit but I cannot connect to any network here. Even when I find the network it won’t connect and shows ‘no service’ 😞

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Mon24, Have you checked in your account to see that roaming is set to allow? Otherwise you will have to use another phone to ring EE to get them to look into this, as there is no way for us here in the forum to access your account and take a look.

Just wondering have you ever made calls whilst roaming, have you also checked your phone’s settings to make sure that it is set for roaming and not switched off?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello @Mon24

Thanks for coming to the community.

Have you had service in Ecuador previously?

What phone are you using?

Speak soon, Leanne.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Schockwave: Roaming should be enabled on PAYG anyway. There are no roaming controls on PAYG MyEE.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Mon24 Investigator
Investigator

No, I'm travelling and I haven’t been able to connect to any network since I arrived to Ecuador. 

Using iPhone 6

by Mon24 Investigator
Investigator

No, I'm travelling and I haven’t been able to connect to any network since I arrived to Ecuador. 

Using iPhone 6

by Mon24 Investigator
Investigator

I was texting whilst I was in Hawaii and also in Mexico. Without any problem. This is not about roaming as I cannot get any service.

I don’t need to make a calls or use data, I just want to be able to send a message so I can keep my number. 

Also, I won’t be able to call as that will be very expensive to do so! 

Can anyone confirm how often do I have to make chargeable activity in order to keep the number, please?

by
EE Employee

Hi @Mon24 

I want to help you get service in order to keep your number alive.

Please can I get you to turn off the 4G connectivity to see if this helps at all.

Please may I get you to perform a manual network search and choose a network other than what you are on.

iPhone: Go to Settings > Carrier and turn off Automatic. Wait until available networks appear, which might take two minutes. Tap the carrier that you want.

Android: Open the Settings menu >Tap More > Mobile Networks > Carrier and turn off Automatic. Wait until available networks appear, which might take two minutes. Tap the carrier that you want.

Let us know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Mon24 wrote:

Can anyone confirm how often do I have to make chargeable activity in order to keep the number, please?

At least once every 179 days - see What is pay as you go hibernation and how can I stop it?

by Mon24 Investigator
Investigator

I tried that! Offers me 3 networks but whichever I choose it won’t connect to it. 4G is off. 

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @Mon24

In this case, we will need to get this looked into for you.

If you can give us a call from an alternative phone on +44 (0) 7953 966 250 our pay as you go team will be able to help.

Thanks, Leanne.

by tucunita Investigator
Investigator

.. yes, indeed, someone should look into this, but yet here we are, years later, and nothing has changed. Great stuff. Been reading thread after thread about this issue, including people being stranded without money in South America, because they cannot reeceive an SMS from their bank to confirm money transfer.

If EE was just half decent they would state this in bold letters on the website:

DO NOT GO TO SOUTH AMERICA RELYING ON OUR SERVICE!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.