by roamingEU Investigator
Investigator

EU Roaming for 2 months with Pay as you Go Sim

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions and would appreciate any advice.

I bought a Pay as you go international sim card in May 2017 and want to use it when I go to the EU (Germany and Austria) in January and Feburary.

1) If I buy a Data pack online (ranging from £1.00 to 15), can I use this in these countries - I may buy £1.00 first to test the signal and then buy more?

2) Is there a limit to how many days I can roam without it cutting me off? (I see a data limit of 15gb, but I won't go over that)

3) Since the SIM hasn't been used in the UK since May, will this be an issue if I am travelling to Germany and Austria in Jan and Feb?

4) Does anyone know what network it will roam on in Austria and how the speeds will be in urban areas?

5) Also, I see that people say you need to have 'roaming enabled' by contacting customer service - does this apply to Pay as you go interational sim cards?

Any advice? I may switch to a local sim, but since roaming is free in the EU, it doesn't make sense and I'd rather get off the plane and be set.

Thanks everyone 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: EU Roaming for 2 months with Pay as you Go Sim

Hi @roamingEU,

Welcome to the EE Community.

You can use your UK allowances throughout the EU. All EE plans are for people who are UK customers and travel to other countries on a short-term basis, not for people spending extended amounts of time abroad. What this means is that if you’re spending 60 out of 120 days in the UK then an EE plan, and it’s inclusive roaming benefits, will be great for you. If you’re out of the country for longer than 60 days then this may not be the best option.

Speeds will vary depending on the local network you are using at the time.

You can find more information about keeping your SIM card active in our pay as you go hibernation guide.

Roaming is automatically activated for all pay as you go customers.

Thanks

James

Investigator

Thank you for the response

I read that there is a maximum of 15gb allowed to be used when roaming - is that per month or in total until you've 'signed in' with a EE in the UK again?

Thanks!

by

Hi @roamingEU

It is per month (bill date to bill date). 🙂

Find out more on our pay monthly price guide >

If I don't speak to you before hand, have a brilliant time.

I went to Dusseldorf last month and it was fantastic.

My main highlights were Alt Bier and currywurst.

Chris 😄

Investigator

Hi

i was successfully able to use it in Austria and Germany with good 3G speeds. 

Also, if I want to use it for Turks and Caicos, can I simply buy a Data pack or must I buy the International Pack (£15 for 3g + calling)? 

by

Hi @roamingEU

Thanks for coming to see us again 🙂

I am unable to access the correct support page to grab the information for you.

Here is the information for Turks and Caicos Islands and I'm sure the information (hopefully you can view it at your side) will show that you need to buy an additional data add-on.

If you can't see the page, then  please give our customer services team a quick call and they will be able to help further.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You're on the wrong track with International packs/SIMs. They are not intended for use abroad outside EU but for visitors to UK to be able to call home. Outside the UK they are of no more use than any other ordinary PAYG pack & probably less as you've paid for International calling from UK.

PAYG packs are not valid outside the EU. For the Turks and Caicos you will need to buy a roaming data add-on. Turks and Caicos is in the Caribbean & counts as Zone B the same as Barbados .

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.