by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

EU Roaming - cost to call EU numbers?

On a 4GEE Max plan when roaming in the EU, does it cost anything to call other EU numbers?

So for example, if I am in Greece, will it cost me money to call Greek numbers or will it be included in my unlimited minutes?

I'm asking as it's not 100% clear from the EE website and other providers (e.g. Three) do charge for calling EU numbers as opposed to UK numbers when roaming.

10 REPLIES 10
by
EE Employee

Re: EU Roaming - cost to call EU numbers?

Afternoon @DonDino

I've pulled this from the Pay Monthly Plan T&C's.

Inclusive roaming benefits are available to UK based customers only. Your phone must be used in the UK at least once every 30 days to make calls and use mobile internet.

Inclusive roaming benefits include making and receiving calls and texts to and from mobiles and landlines whilst you’re in a country included in our Europe Zone.

Our Europe Zone presently includes:

Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Canary Islands, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guyana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Reunion Islands, Romania, San Marino, Saint Martin, Saint Barthelemy, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Vatican City (Italy).

For example:

• calls and text within France are included;
  • calls and texts from France to the UK are included; and
  • calls and texts from France to Germany because both are included countries.

Hope this helps!

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, you can call any standard landline or mobile no. in the EU whilst in the EU, outside UK, when you have an inclusive roaming calls allowance. Or texts.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Thanks for your replies. It's great to know I can now travel in the EU and make local calls without having to use local SIM cards!

I was asking because the wording on EE's relevant page uses phrases like "call just like you do in the UK" and "no extra charge" - if you say "just like you do in the UK", well in the UK we get charged to call other EU countries, so it would imply we'd be charged to call a non-UK EU country from outside the UK. Perhaps a revision or clarification of that text would be a suggestion.

As for your T&Cs quote @Karen_C, does that mean that if I take a holiday lasting more than one month my phone will start charging me? That's a pretty low time limit and something that is not mentioned anywhere in the text the customer sees during the purchase of a contract online. Surely there is a way in which a customer could request an extension for a longer holiday?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

"call just like you do in the UK" is meaning calling only within the UK itself & is drawing an analogy with when in EU you can call only within the (whole of) EU itself.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @DonDino

I am going to take this one away and get you the right answer.

@Karen_C is back in on Tuesday and if I get an answer in the meantime, I will pass it over to you.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Thank you @Richard_C! As I'm a teacher I can take holidays longer than 30 days during the summer, so I want to know that I can use my phone in the EU for longer than 30 days at a time.

@XRaySpeX Yes, I understand what you're saying, but when in the UK, we don't consider being in the EU as a whole (especially now Smiley Very Happy ), as we cannot call other EU countries for free, so I still think it's not entirely clear to say you can call 'just like you do in the UK', especially if customers are going to compare this with Three's equivalent service which is inferior.

by

No problem @DonDino

I shall find out for sure for you.

Have you by any chance had a live chat with customer services to discuss your options?

Cheers

Richard

🙂

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @DonDino

While @Richard_C is finding out more information for you about using your SIM abroad for more than 30 days.

I just wanted to add that as of the 15th June 2017, the new EU Regulations state that as long as you don't use your SIM in the EU more than you do in your home country there are no restrictions.

"3. How long can I roam like at home when I am abroad?

The general rule is that as long as you spend more time at home than abroad, or you use your mobile phone more at home than abroad, you can roam at domestic prices when travelling wherever in the EU. This is considered a fair use of roaming services.

If this is not the case, your mobile operator may contact you. Operators can detect possible abuses based on the balance of roaming and domestic activity over a four month period: if you spend a majority of your time abroad and consume more abroad than at home over the four months, the operator can ask you to clarify the situation within 14 days. If you continue roaming more than you are at home, your operator may start applying a small charge to your roaming consumption."

More information on the new EU Regulations can be found here and FAQ's can be found here.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Richard_C after my first (and last) encounter with chat customer service, I don't think I will be trusting them any more (see my previous posts re: call forwarding) - if anything, I would contact EE by phone only.

@Inyourbox thank you, that's great to know, very reassuring! I do wonder though what will UK networks do once we're out of the EU... keep the EU perks or go back to the old ways of hefty charges...

by

I respect and understand your decision @DonDino

Whichever channel you feel more comfortable to interact with is fine.

Cheers

Richard

🙂 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.