by ForeverYoung Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

EE v Truphone

I live in the U.K. and I use EE PAYG at 30ppm for calls and 12p per text whilst in the U.K. When on holiday in the USA I use Truphone at 6ppm, 6p per text and 6p per mb of data. Just wondering why I don't use Truphone when I'm in the U.K. also? Is there something I'm missing here?

9 REPLIES 9
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: EE v Truphone

Doesn't Truphone use the Vodafone network in the UK and they also don't offer 4G in the UK either do they?

Valued Contributor

That's correct, they do piggy-back on the Vodafone network in te U.K. (T.Mobile in USA I think). You area probably right about the 3G. So, so far that's the only difference, unless anybody else knows differently? So I'm thinking, why pay EE 30p per minute for calls when I can get them for 6p per minute with Truphone (and texts for 6p instead of 12p) ?

Valued Contributor

Not yet resolved! Could someone please explain the benefits of EE PAYG at 30p per minute for calls and 12p per text as opposed to paying Truphone 6p per minute for calls and 6p per text. (Truphone wherever you happen to be) But EE actually far worse when in USA £1 per minute and £1 per text.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @ForeverYoung EE have access to 4G speeds and a larger network base unlike Truphone. 

EE PAYG call charges are higher because EE PAYG works on bundled packs to make calls/texts cheaper, unlike truphone who do not offer bundled packs just cheaper call rates. 🙂

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @ForeverYoung,

Welcome back to the EE Community.

You can find more information about the packs @Profile closed mentioned on our help pages.

They start from as little as £1 and are great value.

Thanks Smiley Happy

James

Valued Contributor

According to the link below 4G is available on Truphone, so I can't see any reason to pay EE PAYG prices when I can use Truphone for 6 pence per minute and 6 pence per text.

https://support.truphone.com/s/article/kaED0000000PB55MAG/4G-Handset-Settings?language=en_US

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @ForeverYoung as mentioned before Truphone work on standard cheaper call rates while EE work on bundled pack allowances instead. 🙂

Valued Contributor

Yes, but for me, PAYG is even cheaper than any bundle, because I don't use the phone that much. I might make and receive say 3 or 4 calls per month. I suppose I've just answered the question as to why Truphone will be the ideal operator for me. At the moment I don't use data and if I do want to use data I'd wait until I'm in a Wi-Fi area. Otherwise wait until I get home. I think for people of my generation (age 69)and/or lifestyle who just use the phone for the odd call the Truphone sim is the way to go. I don't spend much so wouldn't save much in the U.K., but when on holiday would use it more often and at the cheaper rate would make a big difference in cost.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Thank you for the information @ForeverYoung come back to the community anytime if there is anything else you would like to know about EE. 🙂 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.