by
EE Community Support Team

EE roaming - Getting ready to use your phone abroad

In this post we'll give you all the information you need to make sure your EE phone is all ready to use abroad.

If you're a pay monthly customer on any plan, you will need to check roaming is set up before you travel.

If you are a pay as you go customer, roaming is already active and ready to use.

How do I set up roaming?

There are a few ways to check if you have roaming set up, and some steps to help you if you don't.

• Text ROAMING to 150 – you'll receive a text with details about your roaming status and information and how to activate if needed.

• Call Customer Services and choose options 1, 2 and 4 - the automated system will let you know if roaming is active and help you set it up if it's not.

• In your My EE account online go to Menu > Manage Device > Roaming Abroad > This will show as ticked if roaming is activated.

It can take up to 24 hours to become active on your account, so it's really important to set it up before you travel.

Roaming is subject to your credit status and a deposit may be required.

Can I use my allowances when abroad?

You can use your price plan allowance in 48 EU countries which includes minutes, texts and up to 15GB of your data allowance.

If you have a 4GEE Max Plan started after the 10 May 2017,  you can use your minutes, texts and up to 15GB of your data in 53 destinations including Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and USA.

Any price plan taken before the 10 May 2017 will not have USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia and New Zealand included within the allowance.

If you would like to benefit from these additional 5 countries please get in touch with our customer service team to discuss your options for adding these countries.

Full Roaming information is available on our EE Roaming Costs Help page>

Using your EE Voicemail abroad

You may be charged for someone leaving you a message, depending on where you are travelling.

Destination Will I be charged for receiving a voicemail?
Within the EU No
Outside of the EU

Yes - You will be charged the normal

per minute rate for the country you're

in.

For information on a specific destination,

please see our handy roaming tool.

If you wish to access your voicemail messages whilst your away here's some great tips:

• You must make sure you set up a voicemail PIN before you travel.

• If you would prefer not to receive voicemails whilst you're relaxing in the sun you can text VM OFF to 150 before you travel.

• Once you're back in the UK simply text VM ON to 150 to get it back up and running.

If you're an iPhone user and have Visual Voicemail, you'll need an active roaming data bundle to receive and listen to your voicemails.

If you have any other questions just tap "Reply" below and we'll do our best to help.

4 REPLIES
by wessexmario Investigator
Investigator

Re: EE roaming - Getting ready to use your phone abroad

I am trying to check if my phone is switched on for roaming as the last time I went abroad it didn't work. I have checked the settings in my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) and international data is set on.

I have tried the following suggestions from this post:

- text "ROAMING" to 150
I get no response from sending the text.
Other sms options (like 'BAL', and 'RO Italy') work ok.
When I check the online help, "ROAMING" is not listed as a valid option, but on many pages it is; When I try it I get no response. So Is it, or isn't it?
https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/billing-usage-and-top-up/call-text-and-data-charges/how-can-i-get-hel...

- call Customer services choosing options 1, 2 and 4.
Option 1 is for top ups.
I've searched the other options, there is nothing to check or set roaming on.

- in EE account online, go to Menu > Manage Device > Roaming Abroad >
This option doesn't exist. 
on going to Menu > Manage Device > EU Roaming, there's nothing to say what my roaming status is, or any option to turn it on.

HELP!

by

Hi @wessexmario.

Where are you heading off to? Smiley Happy

The options that you've mentioned are the options for pay monthly customers to use.

Are you able to contact our customer service team and follow the options to speak with an advisor?

Jon

by wessexmario Investigator
Investigator

"The options that you've mentioned are the options for pay monthly customers to use."

It would be really helpful if ANY of the main website pages said that managing roaming was different for PAYG and Pay Monthly customers... but none of them do.

I've just passed by an EE shop and the guy in there was able to sort it for me, but it would have been better if the online help was able to help.

thanks.

by

Thanks for letting us know @wessexmario.

I'm glad you managed to get it sorted in the store.

Jon

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.