Something big is coming… Register to hear the latest from Google
by
EE Employee

EE roaming - Getting ready to use your phone abroad

[ Edited ]

In this post we'll give you all the information you need to make sure your EE phone is all ready to use when you travel abroad, whether it be for business or pleasure.

If you're on a pay monthly or Business EE Plan that includes roaming calls and texts, you will need to check roaming is active before you travel.

If you are a pay as you go customer, roaming is already active and ready to use; you just need to top-up.

Before you travel

There are three possible ways to check if roaming is active on your account and activate the service if it's not:

• Text ROAMING to 150 – you'll receive a text with details about your roaming status and information on how to set-up if needed.

• Call Customer Services and choose options 1, 2 and 4 - the automated system will let you know if roaming is active and help you set it up if it's not.

• In your My EE account, if you have a shared account go to Menu > Manage Device > Usage Controls > Roaming abroad & Call abroad and Premium rate - both options need 'Allow' selected.

Please note: Roaming is subject to your credit status and a deposit may be required.

It can take anything up to 24 hours to become active on your account, so it's really important to set it up before you travel.

So that's the important bit done now…..it's all set up!

Roaming costs

Using your EE Voicemail abroad

If you need to access your voicemail messages whilst your away here's some pointers:

• You must make sure you set up a voicemail PIN before you travel.

• You won't be charged if anyone leaves you a message whilst abroad; you'll only incur costs if you retrieve your messages - for costs see the roaming costs and charges page.

• If you would prefer not to receive voicemails whilst you're relaxing in the sun you can text VM OFF to 150 before you travel.

• Once you're back in the UK simply text VM ON to 150 to get it back up and running.

If you're an iPhone user and have Visual Voicemail, you'll need an active roaming data bundle to receive and listen to your voicemails.

Using data abroad

• To use data abroad you'll need to purchase a data roaming add-on – for available add-ons visit the roaming costs and charges page and select the country you're travelling to.

I hope that covers everything for you but if you have any questions, let us know by commenting below.

travel_tips_980x980_grey.jpg

Happy travelling!

Thanks – Karen. Smiley Happy

35 REPLIES
by
Established Contributor

Re: EE Roaming - Getting ready to use your phone abroad

Hi @Karen_C 

I'm going on holiday on Saturday and I have like 600MB of data left, and it doesnt renew until the 15th. Is there any add ons that I can purchase that will work abroad just for a few days until it renews?

Thank you 

Kelsey

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Kelsf88

Thank you for coming to see us in community Smiley Happy

Before you travel you will need to make sure roaming is activated.  Please see our EE Roaming - Getting ready to use your phone abroad post.

Data would need to be purchased in your holiday destination.

Or

Does you monthly price plan include data abroad?

Please see our 4GEE Max Plans & new EU Regulations: Your questions answered post as there are some changes coming on the 15th of June, which may be of interest to you.

Thanks

Richard

Smiley Happy

by
Established Contributor

Hi @Richard_C 

I'm sure it is set up for roaming. I'm not sure about anything else 😂. When I text roaming it says its set up. And when I text AL it says my balance and it says for texts and minutes in UK and EU. Im not sure if that includes my data too? 

by

Hi @Kelsf88

I'd maybe have a quick word with our customer services team, firstly just to make sure it's set up and they can tell you all about your price plan.

You can speak via an onlne chat if your a pay monthly EE personal customer, so you don't even have to call.

Thanks

Richard

Smiley Happy

by
Established Contributor

@Richard_C

Awesome thank you. Will give that a shot. In the text it says its set up to use abroad all I have to do is restart my phone.

Thank you

Kelsey

by

Ah cool @Kelsf88

Then you are all good to go it would seem.

Good luck with the chat.

Richard

Smiley Happy

by
Established Contributor

Thank you @Richard_C

I've tried but can't get through, will just have to try again. What time do they close? 

Thank you 

Kelsey

by

Hi @Kelsf88,

The customer service team are available until 8pm.

Thanks

James

by
Valued Contributor

Good Evening 

I need help to know if I use my EE on monthly 4G 20GB Iphone 7plus in Spain to call UK mobile number will it be the as my monthly plan me to call & text unlimited or will it charge thats going on the internet such twitter and Instagram. Do I need to get a roaming for call and data ?

by
Brilliant Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good evening @KurtONice 

You can Use your plan anywhere in the EU you will have unlimted minutes and texts and you can use up to 15gb of data each month while roaming in the EU 

Just make sure your set up for roaming by Texting Roaming to 150 before you go of you can 

Enjoy 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
by

Hi @KurtONice and welcome to the community.

Due to the change in EU legislation you are now able to use your plan in the EU.

Please do follow the advice given by @Damienw1

Many thanks,

Lee

by
Investigator

Re: EE roaming - Getting ready to use your phone abroad

Hi Karen I managed to miss the whole roaming activation thing and am now in Spain and can't text or call EE to sort it out. Do you have any suggestions please?

by
Investigator

Hi Karen I managed to miss the whole roaming activation thing and am now in Spain and can't text or call EE to sort it out. Do you have any suggestions please?

by

Hi @llmattll and welcome to the community.

So I can try and help, please may I get you to perform a manual network search and choose a network other than what you are on.

Please also can I get you to try and dial a friend or family member using format of 00447*********, did this work?

Also, please let me know If you are using an EE personal or business account as I may be able to assist with our live chat service?

Many thanks,

Lee

by
Investigator

Hi Lee thanks for that. I have tried changing to Orange but still get a restricted message when I try 00447 type calls. I'm on a personal account. Thing is I never requested for roaming to be activated I  the first place - is that not the problem?Thanks Matt

by

Hi @llmattll 

I do like to rule out a few different things.

As the suggestions have not worked, please pop to the live chat link.

This can be found in your Private Messages.

Our customer service team will be able to assist with your issue.

The link will be active from now till 8pm (UK TIME).

Let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by
Explorer

Hello. I can't use my device in Turkey. I've already EE contract since 8 months and I've a another accounts from Turkish operators. I'd like to use my Turkish SIM on my phone. Please help me. Thanks

by

Hi @demirbeg,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Have you unlocked your phone?

Thanks

James

by
Explorer

No, this is not sim free phone.
Thanks.
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.