by ideabank
Explorer

EE pre-paid works in UK only, text messages dont work. International broken.

Hi, I am from Australia.  Came to the UK, bought a pre-paid EE sim at the airport.  Installed it, and data works fine in the UK.  I can receive texts, but I don't seem to be able to send texts.  Anyway, Then went overseas the same day, and no matter what I've tried, I was not able to get data to work overseas.  I went to germany, copenhagen, stockholm, st petersburg.  The network comes up, and shows EE or the local provider, but NO DATA.  Gosh such a pain.  I tried everything with the settings.

My phone is unlocked.

Of course, I have data roaming on

I have voice and data enabled for 4G

service providers come up and select automatically.

I was able to set the network manually.

I was able to set the EE APN and followed the settings found online.

I've tried my android sumsung galaxy S7 and also iphone6.  Both phones are unlocked.  I went through a whole process with dr sim to try and unlock the phones, but they were already unlocked.  The phones are also not blacklisted.

Doesn't make sense why data works in UK, and not internationally.

Cost me a fortune as I ended up having to use my Australian mobile at very high rates.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nick

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: EE pre-paid works in UK only, text messages dont work. International broken

@ideabank   What does it say if you text BALANCE to 150 ?  And have you tried restarting the device? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @ideabank 

Have you any credit or data remaining to use? 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by ideabank
Explorer

Thank-you for the messages.

I don't see how I would have used any of the 10 pound pack as I had no data at all overseas.  Anyway, I have this when I text BALANCE to 150

your current balance as of today 14:45 is 0.00.  you have 250 texts, unlimited texts, unlimited minutes, 150 minutes and 500MB remaining until 26/09/2019 for your 10 pound international pack.

You have 10GB remaining until 25/09/2019 for your 10GB free boost for 30 days.  Your unlimited texts and minutes are to EE numbers only. your top up was 10 pounds on 06/08/2019 at 7:22.

by ideabank
Explorer

Also I have restarted the device countless times over the last 3 weeks trying to get this to work overseas.  When overseas, my texts to 150 didn't get sent and calls to the support number didn't work either.  I can reboot again now if you like.

by ideabank
Explorer

Also by the way, overseas, the network would display 4G, 3G, etc depending on the network connection.  So my mobile was trying to connect to the local service provider.

by ideabank
Explorer

also, when I reached each new country, I would get an automatic text message from EE,  welcoming me to the country and saying about if I had a pack etc it would work at no etra cost, or otherwise standard UK coss would apply. 

I followed all the directions about setting up the network etc..

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for coming back and providing further information @ideabank.

I have sent you a private message, please take a look and get back to me. 

Katie 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.