Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

EE Roaming - Help when abroad with your EE phone or device

If you’re having problems while roaming with your EE phone or device, try these handy tips below.

My phone or device shows no service abroad, what do I do?

If your device is showing no service when you have arrived, try the steps below;

• Try a re-start on your device

iPhone – Settings > Mobile Data > Network Selection > Turn off Automatic

Android – Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Operators > Tap OK

Windows – Settings > Mobile Network > Network Selection > Tap on start manual search

If you’re still having problems, you may need to check roaming is active if you have a pay monthly account.

• Check your roaming status by logging into your My EE account online > go to Menu > Manage Device > Roaming Abroad >This will show as ticked if roaming is activated.

If you need any further support and you're a personal pay monthly customer log into your My EE account online and a chat option will show for you. 

If you're unable to use the chat service, give our Mobile Care Team a call from another phone.

I can’t make calls or send texts abroad but I can receive them?

If you can't make calls or send texts when abroad, try the steps below;

• Try doing a manual network search in your device settings and selecting a different network.

iPhone – Settings > Mobile Data > Network Selection > Turn off Automatic

Android – Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Operators > Tap OK

Windows – Settings > Mobile Network > Network Selection > Tap on start manual search

• Are you dialling the number correctly? Some phones/networks may require you to manually dial the number in international format +44 or 0044 to call back to the UK.

• On iPhones make sure ‘Dial Assist’ is turned on in Settings > Phone.

If you’re still having problems and you have a pay monthly account, your international bar may still be active.

You can check this by logging into your My EE account online and go to Menu > Manage Device > Call abroad and Premium rate calls > This will show as ticked if you're set up for making calls when abroad.

If you need any further support and you're a personal pay monthly customer log into your My EE account to use live chat and activate calling when abroad. 

Why is my EE data not working while I’m abroad?

If you're having trouble connecting to data, try our hints and tips below:

• If you are in a country not included in your allowance you will need to purchase a data roaming add-on. Just access the internet on your phone or device and you’ll be directed to the EE add-on page - or got to http://add-on.ee.co.uk/status.

If you have any other questions just tap "Reply" below and we'll do our best to help.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
Solution

Re: EE Roaming - Help when abroad with your EE phone or device

Good Morning @SM1968

Thanks for confirming this. 

You won't be able to use your standard allowances in Kenya

You will need to have credit to be able to make and receive calls which is at a rate of £1.80 per minute and 60p per text. 

To use mobile data you will need to purchase a data pack which can be viewed at the bottom of this page

I hope you have a great time in Kenya, 

Katie 🙂

27 REPLIES 27
by VictorMeldrew
Visitor

Hi,

I've not been able to send texts whilst I've been in Nepal for the past few months. Receiving texts and voicemail notifications has been fine. Before Nepal I was in India where I didn't have any problems at all. I've used the same device (Samsung J2 smartphone) and EE SIM card in both countries. In Nepal I receive a sporadic text notification from EE informing me of the call & text rates. I've seen another post on this community forum saying that the message centre number is probably wrong. I can't find anything on my smartphone or a simpler 2G device I also have regarding a message centre or number. I'm worried that EE will deactivate my SIM card as it's been about 6 months since I've used any credit. I really need the SIM card for my banks and other 2-step authentication. Please help!

by

Good Afternoon @VictorMeldrew

I am sorry to hear your having problems with your SIM in Nepal. 

Is there credit remaining on your account?

What network are you connected to?

Speak soon, 

Katie 🙂

by seoyoung Contributor
Contributor

I use 10GB sim card now and it still doesn’t work even I tried every means you said.

by

Hi @seoyoung

I have responded in this thread. 

Katie 🙂

by Tam512 Investigator
Investigator

Hi, 

Tried it all and my phone still doesn’t work. I was given a number to call if this was to happen again but unfortunately my partner’s phone isn’t working either. 

Is there a direct email/chat room to technical support?

Thanks 

by

Hi @Tam512.

If you're on a pay monthly contract, you can access our online chat service in your My EE Account, or on our get in touch page.

Are either of you able to receive calls?

Jon

by SM1968 Investigator
Investigator

I’m abroad, outside Europe and have EE PAYG on my iPhone. 

No one  can call me on my EE number. I have Roaming turned on, and have an active £5 everything pack just to make sure my account does exist ! 

Any advice, why can’t anyone call me ? 

TIA

by

Hi @SM1968.

Welcome to the community.

What country are you in?

Do you have a signal on the phone?

Do you have an credit on the SIM card?

Jon

by SM1968 Investigator
Investigator

Thank you.

I’m in Kenya. I have good signal. I have £1.40 credit and 25 days left on a £5 everything pack.

by SM1968 Investigator
Investigator

Thank you.

by
Solution

Good Morning @SM1968

Thanks for confirming this. 

You won't be able to use your standard allowances in Kenya

You will need to have credit to be able to make and receive calls which is at a rate of £1.80 per minute and 60p per text. 

To use mobile data you will need to purchase a data pack which can be viewed at the bottom of this page

I hope you have a great time in Kenya, 

Katie 🙂

by samrwebb Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am in Australia with £5.25 credit on my account, I have signal and I have followed all the steps above but still won't let me send messages. I haven't used my sim in a few months, but I topped up the £5 yesterday and no alerts on my account online. Not sure what to do next, need a live chat!

by

Hi @samrwebb

The fact your phone has a signal means the SIM is still active, which is good.

Have you been able to try a couple of different available networks?

Chris

by samrwebb Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have a choice of 2 networks where I am. Optus tells me I have signal but won't let me use it, Telstra tells me that I don't have signal/can't connect. Also I am unable to message things such as "HELP" or "Balance" to 150 on either networks.

by

OK, thanks @samrwebb.

Do you know if you're able to receive calls on Optus?

Chris

by samrwebb Contributor
Contributor

Hey Chris,

When I try and call the number it says the phone is either switched off or unavailable, even though I have signal and the R for roaming.

by

Hi @samrwebb

Thanks for coming back to us.

We will need to get this looked into for you.

Do you have any other UK mobile with you that can receive calls?

Speak soon 🙂

Leanne.

by samrwebb Contributor
Contributor

Hi Leanne,

Unfortunately not. I don't actually need to be able to use the SIM right now, but I just want to make sure it will still be active when I return to the UK in December. I thought sending a text would keep it active, But if I am unable to use the sim, how can I keep it active until then?

by

Hi @samrwebb.

I would take 180 days for the SIM to go into Hibernation.

You could try making a chargeable call to keep your SIM active.

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions