by
EE Community Support Team

EE Roaming - Getting ready to use your phone abroad

Going abroad and want to use your device for calls, texts and data? Read on for everything you need to know.

How do I set up roaming?

If you are a pay as you go customer, roaming is already active and ready to use.

If you're a pay monthly customer on any plan, you will need to check roaming is set up before you travel.

There are a few ways to check if you have roaming set up, and some steps to help you if you don't.

• Text ROAMING to 150 – you'll receive a text with details about your roaming status and how to activate roaming if needed.

• Call Customer Services and choose options 1, 2 and 4 - the automated system will let you know if roaming is active and help you set it up if it's not.

• In your My EE account online go to Menu > Manage Device > Roaming Abroad and also Call Abroad and Premium rate> They will show as ticked if roaming and calling abroad is activated.

It can take up to 24 hours to become active on your account, so it's important to set it up before you travel.

Roaming is subject to your credit status and a deposit may be required.

Can I use my minutes, texts and data when abroad?

If you have a Pay monthly, Pay as you go, Flex, or Mobile Broadband plan with us you can use your calls, texts and up to 15GB of data within 48 EU/EEA destinations

If you have a Max Plan started after 10 May 2017, you can also use your minutes, texts and up to 15GB of data within 53 destinations including Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and USA.

If you would like to benefit from these additional 5 countries, please get in touch with our mobile care team, to discuss options available for you.

If your UK data allowance is greater than 15GB, you will be subject to a fair usage policy of 15GB whilst you are roaming in the inclusive destinations.

Full information can be found on our Fair Use Policy Help page.

Can I use my voicemail abroad?

If you wish to access your voicemail messages when roaming here are some great tips: 

• If you would prefer not to receive voicemails when abroad text VM OFF to 150 before you travel.

• Once you're back in the UK simply text VM ON to 150.

Will I be charged for using my voicemail abroad?

If you are within the EU and someone leaves you a voicemail message this will come out of your inclusive allowance.

If you’re outside of the EU you will be charged the per minute rate for the country you are visiting.  All charges can be found on our EE Roaming tool.

If you're an iPhone user and have Visual Voicemail, you'll need an active roaming data bundle to receive and listen to your voicemails.

How long can I make a call for when abroad?

When making calls using your allowance in the 48 EU/EEA destinations, the maximum call length is 120 minutes.

If your call is longer than 120 minutes, you’ll have to redial and continue your call.

How long can I use my phone abroad for?

EE pay monthly plans are intended for customers with a stable link to the UK who travel abroad periodically.

They are not intended for customers roaming on a permanent or semi-permanent basis.

We will consider you have a stable link to the UK if, during any four month period you;

• Spend a total of two months or more within the UK.
  • Or, if you mainly use your inclusive voice, text or data usage allowances in the UK, rather than while you're roaming.

Full information on stable links can be found in the Roaming terms and conditions.

If you have any other questions tap 'Reply' below.

12 REPLIES 12
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: EE Roaming - Getting ready to use your phone abroad

Good morning, @Leanne_T,

Great post and very helpful! 😊

Thanks

mAh8v 😊

by ell1 Investigator
Investigator

I have a PAYG phone but it doesn't always work abroad. Yet you say it should already be set up. I used to have an Orange PAYG phone and that was fine. But my old orange phone broke and I got a new phone which took a smaller card. By that time Orange had been taken over by EE and they told me I couldn't have Orange any more, I would have to move to EE if I needed a new card. Since then I haven't been able to get any service when abroad. It isn't the area we're in, as my husband who is also on EE but has a contract can get a service. How do I sort this out? 

by

Hi there @ell1

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Are you abroad at the moment? if yes, where?

Have you been able to use the SIM since getting it?

What phone are you using?

Speak soon,

Katie 🙂

by mook Investigator
Investigator

I'm feeling totally mislead and deceived. The information in the post is not accurate.

I finally "resolved" the issues I've been having with my pay-as-you-go SIM that I bought from the airport, and the resolution is that it won't work while roaming unless you make an outgoing call or send an outgoing text while you're in the UK.

No where on the packaging does it state this, nor did the clerk at WH Smith tell me this, and now I'm stuck traveling through Europe without data or communications access.

Their "Getting Started" guide says "The cost of your pack will come out of your credit as soon as yo use your phone", but I had even received a call while in the UK, and received a text message from EE saying my SIM is activated, but apparently neither will actually activate the the SIM for use in the EU. Feeling complete ripped-off as even getting a refund won't help since i need data during my trip.

On the brighter side, the person on the phone at customer support was friendly and informative. That said, the company has to do a better job with their packaging and properly inform customers how to activate their products. Terrible experience - would not recommend EE to any of my friends traveling through Europe.

by

I'm sorry to hear of your experience, @mook and thank you for your feedback.

I have sent this information on to the relevant team to see if something can be added into the 'getting started' guide in future. 

Chris

by BoBeB Investigator
Investigator

I’ve added intl bolt via cust services on but my online account still says it’s blocked on mange devices.

wont save after I change it either.

cant call cust services from USA as no service.

by

Hi @BoBeB

Do you know if you're able to receive calls?

Chris

by BoBeB Investigator
Investigator

Emergency calls only 

by BoBeB Investigator
Investigator

The account device management stated that international calls was blocked and it wouldn't stay in that

Customer services have said they've changed it but can take 24 hours ...

Leaving in 48 😀 

by

I see, thanks @BoBeB.

Hopefully it doesn't take the full 24 hours. I recommend turning your phone off then on again periodically.

Chris

by nelmel

Hi,

I'm a pay monthly customer and as i'm travelling to the USA I believe I need an add on for data. Can you please tell me what the roam further option is please as there is no explanation only the monthly cost.

Cheers

Neil

by

Hi @nelmel,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

The pass allows you to use your standard minutes, text and data plan allowances in five additional countries abroad just as you would in the UK and EU.

Find out more in What is the Roam Further Pass?

Hope this helps.

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.