by BOC1789 Contributor
Contributor

EE PAYG sim put in spare phone overseas. Not working

Hi all

I am currently in the Far East for a while. I have put my EE PAYG SIM in a spare phone but I am not able to make calls or send/receive texts (I'm not concerned about data).

Would anyone be able to confirm the settings I need to set in order to receive calls and send text in my current location, and whether or not I need to get anything set within my EE PAYG account.

I have credit.

Main reason is to receive the 120 day text from EE to ensure I retain my number.

TIA

14 REPLIES 14
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: EE PAYG sim put in spate phone overseas. Not working

Hi @BOC1789

The SIM should automatically be set up for roaming.

What is the make and model of the phone that you're using?

Please try the steps below in order to find a full connection:-

Try re-booting your device

Try turning 4G off in ‘settings’

Perform a manual network search:-

• iPhone – Settings > Carrier > Toggle Automatic OFF
  • Android – Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Operators > Tap OK
  • Windows – Settings > Mobile Network > Network Selection > Tap on start manual search

Please let me know if any of that works.

Chris

by BOC1789 Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chris

Sare phone that has my EE PAYG SIM in is Samsung S4 mini. 

Rebooted - no change.

Settings - 4G can't see anything for turning it on/off.

Manual network search shows 3 networks but can't register to any of them - presumably due to my EE SIM. 

So phone still can't receive any texts or make calls.

Rich.

by
EE Employee

Hi @BOC1789

This does sound very strange, which country are you currently in?

Many thanks,

Lee

by BOC1789 Contributor
Contributor

Hi Lee

Actually in Brunei on island of Borneo.

When I manually search for networks I can see two in Brunei and one from Malaysia. I can not register or connect to any of the three.

Rich

by
EE Employee

Hi @BOC1789

Please try to turn to 2G/3G only by following the below:

• Tap the Menu key and then tap Settings.
  • Tap Connections then tap More networks.
  • Tap on Mobile networks.
  • Tap on Network Mode.
  • Choose between 2G/3G auto or 2G/3G/4G auto.

Many thanks,

Lee

by BOC1789 Contributor
Contributor

Hi Lee
Within network mode I have:
LTE/WCDMA/GSM
WCDMA/GSM
WCDMA only
GSM only
I have tried all 4 and still can not receive text on my EE UK number sent
from my local phone in Brunei.
Stumped.
Rich
by

Hi @BOC1789,

Have you used your EE SIM in this particular phone before?

Is the phone unlocked for all networks?

Thanks

James

by BOC1789 Contributor
Contributor

Hi James
Yes the phone is unlocked.
I've tested the EE PAYG sum in two different phoned and bother the same.
I guess it's a damned phone call again to EE Support to get calls & texts
working fro the far east.
Rich
by

Thanks for getting back to me @BOC1789

Please keep us updated on your progress.

James

by BOC1789 Contributor
Contributor

Update:  Apologies for the length of this update but it is important for anyone in a similar situation.

For those not in the know, EE was established in 2010 out of a merger between T-Mobile and Orange mobile Telcos – each having their own network. Although they now operate under the EE umbrella, the networks are still largely separate which is quite common with operators. It’s the same with Vodafone/Cable & Wireless.

We are overseas until approx. May.

Anyway, following lengthy discussions with both EE on 14th and again today 21 Nov, and my local network (Progressif [BRU B-mobile]) here in Brunei we have made little progress to resolve the issue – but at lease WE KNOW WHAT THE ISSSUE IS.

Speaking face to face with 3rd line Tech Support and also to International Roaming,  with Progressif we have established that:

1. Both my and my wifes EE SIM cards operate on the T-Mobile Network witin the EE umbrella.
  2. Both our SIMS have been analysed and tested to confirm the above.
  3. The bilateral international roaming agreements between Progressif and EE Orange network is operating perfectly.

3a. The Bilateral International Agreement between Progresssif and EE T-Mobile network ONLY WORKS IN ONE DIRECTION – Progresssif (Brunei) to UK whilst UK Outgoing does not work.

Today I spent 1.5hrs on the phone talking to successive 1st Line Support (Laura), 2nd Line support (Helena)and finally to management (Connor) and informed them of the fact that the Outbound International Roaming on the T-Mobile Network does not work. The best 1st & 2nd line could to is to credit our numbers today  which would give us 6 months before out numbers would be deregistered from EE

Would it be possible  to switch us over to Orange? Answer = No.

Can we get EE to send us each a SIM to operate on the EE Orange network? Answer =  No. Orange is in the process of being wound down.

Ok, says I, IF the Bilateral International Roaming agreement only works in one direction, what can be done to ‘open the gate’ outbound from UK?  As it appears that someone somewhere has only done half a job.  Answer = not very much at all and it may be that this problem can’t be resolved.

This I find is an unacceptable answer. If Roaming works Brunei to UK, then the infrastructure is in place to operate UK to Brunei. There appears only to be a case of computer manipulation by someone somewhere to open this gate – wouldn’t you agree?

At this point the call dropped after a duration of 1hr 13 mins.

Just before the call dropped, the manager 'Connor' mentioned that they would continue investigations (also Progressif from Brunei) but I don't in all honesty hold out much hope, though I AM CONVINCED THE PROBLEM LIES IN THE UK WITH T-Mobile OUTBOUND INTERNATIONAL ROAMING.

When I was with Vodafone and O2, as soon as I landed in another country and swited my phone on, I would immediately get a 'welcome to XXXX' indicating network connectivity.

No so with EE and the isssue is undoubtedly with UK Outbound on T-Mobile network.

Seriously disappointed with EE

by
EE Employee

Hi @BOC1789 and welcome back.

I will certainly pass your feedback over to the relevant team.

Many thanks,

Lee

by
EE Employee

Hi @BOC1789

I have been looking into this further for you with the roaming team.

In Brunei you are unable to use pay as you go, if you are on pay monthly you are only able to call back to the UK.

The team are looking into why you were given the information you were.

Many thanks,

Lee

by BOC1789 Contributor
Contributor

Re: EE PAYG sim put in spare phone overseas. Not working

HI Lee

I can not accept your statement
it states: 
  • If you are a pay as you go customer, Roaming is active and ready to use - you just need to ensure you have sufficient credit.
Checking the EE PAYG roaming costs for Brunei on EE website shows the following:
Service                                              Cost
Making any call                                £1.80 a minute
Receiving any call                            £1.80 a minute
Sending a text                                  60p a text
Receiving texts                                 Free
Sending a picture message            40p a picture message
Data/internet                                    Buy data add-on (not available in Brunei)

We have had the network tested here in Brunei and have confirmed that the roaming is open in the direction Brunei to UK, but blocked UK to Brunei and from 3rd Line investigations, it appears to be blocked at the UK end. It is not just Brunei, If I go over to Malaysia, it is the same result when I try to use Celcom.

Regards Richard.
by
EE Employee

Re: EE PAYG sim put in spare phone overseas. Not working

Hi @Box1789

I have sent information over to the team that deal with the pricing to update the roaming page to remove the charges for pay as you go.

The romaing team have confirmed pay as you go is not available.

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.