by filepoint Investigator
Investigator

EE PAYG SIM No phone connection in Ecuador

My EE PAYG SIM won't connect to a phone network in Ecuador in order to receive texts or phone calls. Trying to manually select a network results in a "Your SIM card does not allow a connection to this network" error.

Also the EE support content regarding roaming outside the EU is useless/missing?

15 REPLIES 15
Investigator

Re: EE PAYG SIM No phone connection in Ecuador

At the moment I only want to be able to receive a text which this page claims is free. Also the add-ons it shows are all described as "data" when all I want is text/phone call credit. How else can I buy roaming phone call credit?
Investigator

So you're saying I need to buy a "data" add-on to make my phone/text connection work? Or are you saying I need to have a certain amount of credit for phone/text roaming to enable? (And it has to be outside the EU credit which I've never seen mentioned anywhere). I'm confused...
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Do you have PAYG credit to pay for calls & texts whilst roaming? Your pack allowances are only valid for UK & EU.

See http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-costs/countries/ecuador for roaming costs in Ecuador.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

By topping up the necessary amounts.

I have previously asked the EE Community Team what are the roaming add-ons outside EU for mins & texts. There appear to be none except in a few select countries & you have to pay standard rates.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@filepoint wrote:
So you're saying I need to buy a "data" add-on to make my phone/text connection work?

No, I never said that. I just said you need PAYG credit to pay for all calls & sending texts.

Investigator

Ok thanks, but I need another type of credit to what I would by at home? Any idea how to get it? The options I see on the page you sent are all for data.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, getting credit is the same as in the UK. You just need to top-up with money to put credit on your PAYG SIM. That credit is then used for whatever you spend or buy. While in Ecuador you will be spending it at the standard rates on calls @ £1.80 / min or sending texts @ 60p each.

You should 1st text STOP PACK to 150 to prevent it buying your usual pack & restart your pack when you get back to UK.

Forget those data add-ons unless you want data. They have nowt to do with calls & texts. If you did buy a data add-on, that too comes out the same credit.

Investigator

I see, I have available credit on my account so if the connection was working it should be able to use it for PAYG calls at the roaming rate. The problem is that my phone just won't connect to the local phone networks at all. I note that it did connect to networks in the USA earlier in my trip.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, if you have sufficient credit you should be able to make & receive calls & send texts.

As you can't connect to local networks to allow you to do that, you would need to phone EE to find out why. Use the landline nos. in my sig.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @filepoint

Thanks for coming to see us from Ecuador 🙂

I know @XRaySpeX has been helping you and if you haven't spoken to customer services already, can you please try the troubleshooting below:-

Try re-booting your device

Try turning 4G off in ‘settings’

Perform a manual network search:-

• iPhone – Settings > Carrier > Toggle Automatic OFF
  • Android – Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Operators > Tap OK
  • Windows – Settings > Mobile Network > Network Selection > Tap on start manual search

Please let me know if any of that works.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

Investigator

Hi Richard_C,

I haven't had a chance (or found an economical way) to call customer services yet.

With regards to your suggestions, I had tried all these things, as well as trying the SIM card in another handset with the same results. So it seems the problem is definitely with either the SIM card, my account, or generally using an EE SIM in Ecuador.

Thanks

by

If you can use a landline or alternative mobile to call our customer services team hopefully they can help you further @filepoint

Cheers

Richard

🙂

Investigator

Wow. So I wasted well over an hour of my holiday and my life speaking to EE customer services who repeatedly walked me through the same ideas suggested above, taking SIM card out and putting back in etc, even though the problem is almost certainly not with the phone settings since I have the same problem using another handset. On the first call I was passed from Ireland to second line support in South Wales. They said they would be able to try some things and would email me instructions, before I was mysteriously cut off... No email has arrived.

I then called back, getting through to the first line Ireland call centre, who would not pass me back to second line but asked me to do the same things again. He then apparently spoke with a senior staff member and reported that EE do not support Ecuador, which was clearly a lie, they sell add-on packs for Ecuador for a start. When I called him out on it and asked him to confirm this in writing, I was told he couldn’t send emails as he is in an outsourced team. He then kept claiming not to be able to hear me, blaming the Skype connection, even though I could hear him fine, and suggested I just keep manually selecting networks to see if one worked (which I had of course tried many times before). 

I have now left Ecuador and FYI for anyone else on EE PAYG travelling in the area, I had no phone connection in El Salvador either, but it has connected in Costa Rica and Panama. First job for when I get home: ditch EE and try another network. Appalling customer service. 

by

Hi @filepoint

Thank you for speaking to our technical support team. I'm sorry to hear of your experience with your phone service.

This certainly isn't the experience that we would have like you to have.

I recommend detailing your experience with our complaints team when you get home.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

Chris

by tucunita Investigator
Investigator

@Christopher_G

...if this is not the experience EE wants their customers to have, then, one wonders, why has no action been taken for more than 2 years?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.