by slewando Investigator
Investigator

Disable a call barring setting

I am travelling to Italy next week and am trying to set up roaming. Although EE assures me that my account says I'm good to go, my phone still shows that Outgoing international roaming is enabled in the Call Barring Settings.

When I discovered I couldn't get rid of the setting, I first rang my local EE shop and the manager said I needed to get EE technical to help. I then spent a VERY long time on the phone with EE customer service and then technical trying to deactivate the setting or get the password or code I need to enter, but no luck.

They kept telling me that they didn't have the code and that I needed to talk to Huawei (I have a Huawei G620S) but Huawei tell me that only my service provider can give me the password or code to disable a call barring setting. I have a dilemma!!

Can anyone help? I have read quite a few entries on the EE Community pages from people with the same difficulty, so I think it really is an EE problem. I would really like to get this set up before travelling so I can make calls when abroad.

Any help MUCH appreciated as I am getting very frustrated! Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Disable a call barring setting

Hi @slewando

Thank you for coming to see us in community 🙂

In terms of any international bar, this is something that needs discussed with customer services and they can help you.

Richard

🙂

by slewando Investigator
Investigator

Sorry, but that is really, really not helpful. I spoke to Customer Service twice yesterday (maybe three tmes?), the first time they just kept tellng me my settings were okay, but on my phone they obviously are not. After speaking to them, I could not use the chat service as an alternative because it said it was unavailable for pay as you go customers. The second time I rang, CS turned the query over to technical and the query was escalated to technical support level two.

I was on the phone with technical for far over an hour. The man to whom I spoke ('Glen' in Waterford) assured me that while it did appear to be a problem that my call barring settings are incorrect (contradicting customer service) there was nothing EE could do. He kept going to get help from 2nd level technical and his manager and at the end of the conversation advised that I reset my phone to the factory settings because he/they were convinced it was a Huawei problem. (I did not do this.) He even said he phoned Huawei and that they were unable to help, but that I should try them myself. I tried to be really nice about it and in the end 'Glen' even credited my account with £20 for my trouble as the go-around was getting ridiculous.

However, when I then phoned Huawei myself, they assured me that this is a provider problem and pointed out that the type of codes I need are, in fact, supplied online by other companies for their account holders (See BT Business). So they were unable to understand why EE can't do this. 

I then started to read all the other complaints on the EE community, and realised that I was not alone, so I really believe that EE has some sort of technical problem with international call barring and doesn't want to own up. I wish I had seen all the posts first as I could have pointed them out to 'Glen' and his manager.

So if you are directing me back to EE customer/technical service, I'm afraid I've had a pretty bad experience. I totally believed that they didn't have the answer and that it was a problem with my handset. I even gave a glowing review about 'Glen' to his manager on the phone and in the CS survey afterward! I now know that I was being played, and that the £20 was to 'buy me off' and make me go away.

I now do not have enough time to have EE unlock my phone so I can get another sim card from another provider so that I won't have this problem. I can pay to have my phone unlocked, I suppose, but why should I have to do this??

So PLEASE, Richard, do you have a better suggestion?

Thanks

by

Hi @slewando

I'm sorry to hear that was my post wasn't helpful to you.

In terms of technical issues then this would need to be escalated through our ways to complain process to further support you.

Thank you 

Richard

by slewando Investigator
Investigator

I have not put in an official complaint, yet, but just want it on record that I rang customer service again on 24th Sept, got escalated to tech level 2, and although the tech said he didn't have any codes to share, he acknowledged my difficulty and said he'd reset my sim. He also texted his personal email address and said he'd phone me back if the reset didn't work. The reset didn't remove the bar, so I emailed him, but he never phoned back as he said he would. 

So last week, I went to the EE shop in Newcastle Eldon Square, hoping the shop staff could escalate my problem, but they simply rang customer service again and handed me the phone. I again got a cs advisor and then a tech level one advisior who was unable to help (and this time didn't even seem to understand what I was talking about.) The shop staff, although polite, completely deferred to the tech advisor who kept insisting that everything was fine on my account, although the Outgoing international roaming call barring setting on my handset remains firmly in place.

We'll see...I leave for Italy tomorrow, and perhaps my phone will work, but somehow I doubt it. If so, apologies all around, but if not, I'll be rather dismayed.

by
EE Employee

Hi @slewando,

Your device should work if all the roaming options have been activated via customer services.

Please do let us know if you do experience any issues.

Many thanks,

Lee

by slewando Investigator
Investigator

Thank you, Lee, I do hope it will work, however if you search the community posts you'll see quite a few from people who set up roaming before travelling, only to find calls barred upon their arrival at their destination. That is what I am trying to avoid. 

The ee webpage at 

http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-using-your-phone-abroad

under the section 'Making sure your device is set up for roaming', says, in part:

• If you have an Android device it's worth checking that no international bars are enabled on the device.

To check, go to: Phone App > Call Settings > Call Barring

Check that Outgoing international, Outgoing international roaming and Incoming international roaming are all disabled. If any are enabled, contact Customer Services.

Outgoing international roaming on my phone is still enabled. I have been trying to get it disabled since I am not able to do it myself. Techs at ee agreed that this setting should not be on my phone, but no one seems to be able to remove it. I have already spoken to customer service advisors and techs repeatedly, but to no avail as you will see from my previous posts. Guess I'll just see what happens, unless you have another suggestion???

Thanks

by

Hi @slewando,

The international calling bar can only be removed from your account by customer services.

If they have already done this, it may just be a case of waiting for your phone to update.

Our technical team are best placed to look into this for you.

Thanks

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.