by KP-78 Investigator
Investigator

Data roaming has stopped working in Jersey

Hi all

I am currently working in Jersey, Channel Islands.  I am here for approx 3 weeks, then go back to the UK for just under a week, then repeat (back to Jersey).  My phone has been successfully roaming for calls, texts and data while I'm here.  It's set up to automatically select networks, and usually goes onto JT, although sometimes Sure.  My allowance is 15GB and if I run out, I get the standard notification to buy more data. 

Last week, my phone stopped detecting any internet (2G/3G or 4G) and also struggles to connect to JT, selecting Sure 90% of the time.  Calls and texts are still fine - internet used from allowance is less than 2GB so not running out.  I have tried restarting the handset, which normally resolves the issue for around 15 mins, then I lose internet again.  When trying to connect to JT (my boss is on JT and there are no network issues that we're aware of - he has full internet use via his handset on JT), it tells me it cannot connect, so I re-set it back to select automatically.  It's currently on JT, but no internet. 

Any ideas?  The handset it a S7 Edge, approx 20 months old, if that means anything - was working absolutely fine until last week ...

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by KP-78 Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Re: Data roaming has stopped working in Jersey

Hi @Inyourbox

Thank for that.  My phone is locked with EE and also my boss has an old iPhone with a different size SIM.  The one thing I hadn't tried was completely taking out the SIM so I've done that and it seems to be working at the moment.  As I mentioned in my original post, re-booting the phone cures it temporarily, but maybe physically taking out the SIM card once in a while will also help.  Time will tell whether this has fixed it completely or just as an interim measure ...  🙂

8 REPLIES 8
by
EE Community Team

Hi @KP-78,

Welcome to the community 🙂

You have already tried a lot of the things we would suggest to get you back up and running 🙂

Is your boss on EE and roaming in Jersey like you are? If he is, could you try a SIM swap for me to see if you are able to connect to data using his sim card?

We will then be able to see if the issue lies with your phone or your SIM.

Alex

by KP-78 Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Alex_S

Thanks for the reply.  No, he is a resident here and has a mobile contract with JT I'm afraid.

Thanks

KP-78

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @KP-78Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear you're having problems roaming in Jersey. Smiley Sad

If your phone is unlocked, you could try placing your colleagues Jersey SIM into your phone and seeing if you can use data, if you can, this rules out your phone being a problem. If the problem persists with his SIM in your phone, this could indicate a phone or SIM problem.

by
EE Community Team

Hi @KP-78,

Do you know if your phone is unlocked to use another network SIM card in it?

Alex

by KP-78 Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Hi @Inyourbox

Thank for that.  My phone is locked with EE and also my boss has an old iPhone with a different size SIM.  The one thing I hadn't tried was completely taking out the SIM so I've done that and it seems to be working at the moment.  As I mentioned in my original post, re-booting the phone cures it temporarily, but maybe physically taking out the SIM card once in a while will also help.  Time will tell whether this has fixed it completely or just as an interim measure ...  🙂

by
EE Community Team

Hi @KP-78

I'm hoping this was all it needed and your internet stays connected 🙂

Please come back and let us know if you need any further help

Alex 🙂

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Thanks for the reply @KP-78Smiley Happy

Further to what @Alex_S has advised, I personally would recommend you pop into an EE store when you get back to the UK and get a new SIM. If taking the SIM out or rebooting your phone fixes the problem temporarily, this usually indicates a possible SIM card problem.

Please be aware, if you do decide to pop to an EE store to get a new SIM, you will need to take photo I.D with you and they're replace and activate the SIM while you're in the store. Smiley Happy

by KP-78 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks @Alex_S and @Inyourbox

24 hours and it's not lost the data connectivity, so it looks like it's fixed it - thanks for all your help. 

@Inyourbox- I will try to pop into an EE store when I'm next in the UK - thanks for the tip. 

I'll mark this thread as Solved  Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.