by mad12345 Contributor
Contributor

Data roaming connecting problem in EU

Hi, I'm a T-mobile customer and currently roaming in the EU (Belgium & Netherlands). I don't usually have a problem getting internet access here, after I respond to the automatic text from EE inviting me to click on the link to buy internet ('choose an add-on by clicking).

This always worked before, however this time it's not working. Whatever I try (and I have been trying for 3 days) I cannot get online: my phone searches and searches but after a while it always fails and I get the error screen: 'This site can't be reached'.

I have data and roaming switched on (as I always do) and have checked all my settings which appear correct. I have rebooted my phone numerous times and taken my sim and sd cards out and put them back again.

But whatever I do there is no data connection and I just don't know how to get it as all my attempts to connect so far have failed!

Apart from this problem my phone works fine and I can use wifi (in the UK I had no problem with data before I left).

I also tried by responding a number of times to the EE texts by typing in "TEXT" as suggested but nothing works. What to do now??

13 REPLIES 13
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Data roaming connecting problem in EU

Hello @mad12345

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community. Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing problems while roaming.

Can you confirm, what network are you connected to when you are in these countries and what phone are you using?

by mad12345 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your quick response. When I crossed the channel days ago and arrived in France I automatically got logged in to one of their main networks so I tried to buy a data booster immediately which failed. I travelled through Belgium to the Netherlands and tried again repeatedly on various networks and changed the network manually a few times. Nothing worked. Currently I'm on T-Mobile NL. Calling and texting is no problem. My phone is Moto G 1st gen, Android 4.4.4. I've had this system for about 1.5 years and travel to NL regularly.

Thanks for your help.

by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the Community @mad12345

Please may I know have you tried to select an alternative network to see if that helps.

Many thanks,

Lee

by mad12345 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Lee_H. yes I have tried a number of different networks but it doesn't make any difference. I've just tried it again, and received a new sms from EE asking me to click on http://add-on.ee.co.uk/buy but I get the same error message because I'm not online.

by
EE Employee

Hi @mad12345

I would personally get in touch with the Technical Team to see if they can assist with this.

Many thanks,

Lee

by mad12345 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. But I can't find out how to get in touch with them, and calling them doesn't appear to be free from abroad, it seems I have to pay international rates? I looked right through the website which is difficult to navigate and just cannot find it anywhere. If I have to wait until I'm home to call them on 150 I won't solve this problem while I'm here. (I'm on pay-as-you-go so it's not even free then.)

by
EE Employee

Hi @mad12345

You would need to dial +44 (0) 207 362 0200 and that would be charged at 4.1p per minute.

Many thanks,

Lee

by mad12345 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. But according to this page I would have to pay standard roaming charges: http://ee.co.uk/help/get-in-touch

T-Mobile

Mobile or SIM only customers        
Calling from - Number - Cost
T-Mobile mobile 150 Free during our standard opening hours* (25p per call on pay as you go)
EE landline 0845 412 5000 Free at any time
Another provider 0207 362 0200 Check call charges with your provider
From abroad +44 (0) 207 362 0200 Please check our roaming charges for calling costs
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @mad12345,

I've double checked the call charges for you and can confirm it's 4.4p per minute to call back to the UK from the Netherlands on T-Mobile pay as you go.

Thanks

James

by mad12345 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks James, I will try.

by

No problem @mad12345

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks Smiley Happy

James

by mad12345 Contributor
Contributor

Hi James, yes I called them and was offered to buy a bundle there and then, but I'm travelling tomorrow and as the bundle is valid for 24hrs it would have expired too early, so they suggested I call them back (on another number) when I need it so hopefully that will work.

Thanks very much for your help.

by

No problem @mad12345

- James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.