by rjs Investigator
Investigator

Data abroad on 4GEE Tariff - going round in circles!

Going to the USA soon, and wanted to get some data.

So I looked at https://explore.ee.co.uk/roaming which I thought would explain all. The Travel Data Pass looked good.

Despite arriving at that page after telling them I was on a 4GEE tariff, at the end of the details it says "Travel Data Pass is not currently available to customers on 4GEE plans... "

So what are my options for data in the USA (I am on the 4GEE Plan 2GB)?

12 REPLIES 12
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Data abroad on 4GEE Tariff - going round in circles!

@rjs Have you tried texting the phrase TRAVEL to 150 to see what happens?  Travelpass can be added to most current and old legacy plans.  See this page for more details.

If TravelPass isn't available though on your current plan, you will need to use the standard zone A data add-ons, which are listed on that page as:

40Mb for £4.00 lasting 24 hours or

100Mb for £7.00 lasting 24 hours or

250Mb for £20 lasting 7 days or

750Mb for £40 lasting 7 days or

2Gb for £100 lasting 12 months

by rjs Investigator
Investigator

Read more

Thanks, I'll try that.  Although it clearly says on the website "Travel Data Pass is not currently available to customers on 4GEE plans" so it seemed pointless texting it!  Is this information wrong then?

by
EE Employee

Hi @rjs

If you text TRAVEL to 150 as @Profile closed advised this will let you know if the pass is available.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, there's no harm texting to find out the facts. It'll either work & you'll get what you want or it won't & you'll be no worse off.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

You could try out a Vodafone SIM for 30 days, whilst checking out the roaming in the US for £5 a day then cancel if you're not happy with it.

You could get a three PAYG SIM try Feel at home, which is sseverely throttled and 3G only.

You could wait till hell freezes over and EE fix their 4GEE and Max plans to allow travel data pass (Ok, I'm hoping this happens in June, but it seems to be too hard for EE to work out)

Or just use wifi Smiley Tongue

by rjs Investigator
Investigator

The website is correct.  I texted the number and the reply was "Sorry, Travel Data Pass is not available on your price plan...".

So now I have to enable this daily, for £3 a day instead of £4 but with a fraction of the data by the looks of it.

Not very impressed - it's not like I'm on some budget tariff.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

It's been mentioned quite a bit here and on other forums. EE just don't have any interest in fixing it. The EE staff here pass messages on, but we've not had any feedback even to say it's being looked at.

EE are losing my money, as I use my Vodafone SIM when in the US now.

by Ad13 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Same here. They have zero interest in addressing this even though they stated back in November that 'they're working on a fix due to their billing system'. Utter joke promising something but not delivering!

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Ad13

Thank you for taking the time to post in community 🙂

I know this is a source of frustration for you, I do want you to know that we care and 

we do pass all feedback on and as soon as we know anything, we will let you know.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

Established Contributor

@Richard_C I'm sure someone care somewhere in EE cares, but meanwhile us (your loyal customers) have been waiting 5 months for a resolution to this rediculous issue. The person that thought out that the people paying the highest tariffs should pay more for roaming needs firing! 

EE if you think the heat is being turned up on this issue, brace yourselves... summer holidays are looming and people travelling more frequently! Hard hats at the ready!

...or maybe you're dragging your heels, milking customers whilst you can, waiting until the new EU roaming regulations come in to force in June where all roaming must be free in the EU and then announce new plans with all the marketing razzmatazz???

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @Ad13

I've been following comments mentioned about customers who are on the new Max Plans and not being able to use the Travel Data Pass abroad.

I'm just wondering how you have come to the conclusion that you and other customers who have the Max Plans are "paying the highest tariffs"?

Max Plan customers are paying no more than that of customers who are on older EE Extra Plans, like myself.

I'm on a £40.99 (£42.01 with RPI) EE Extra Plan that inlcudes unlimited minutes, unlimited text messages and 20GB data. - I can use my minutes and texts while roaming in the EU.

However, someone who is on a newer Max Plan who also pays £40.99 (£42.01 with RPI, however customers who join after March will continue to pay £40.99, £1.02 cheaper than I have to pay) has the following allowances and benefits; unlimited minutes, unlimited text messages, 25GB data and have access to BT Sport. - You can also use your minutes, texts and 15GB data while roaming in the EU.

I honestly do not see why Max Plan customers are claiming they are paying more than other customers when in reality you are getting more for your money than other customers on older plans.

For the same price as I am paying, a Max Plan customer gets 5GB more data, gets access to BT Sport which would cost me £5 more a month and can use 15GB data while roaming in the EU which would cost me £90 (£3 a day for 500MB x 30) and even after the new EU roaming regulations come into effect on the 15th June 2017, Max Plan customers still get more for their money as they continue to get an extra 5GB data and access to BT Sport which would cost me an addition £5 a month for the same price as I'm paying.

You can compare the difference between the EE Extra Plans here, and the Max Plans here. You will see that Max Plan customers get far more for their money than that of customers on older EE Extra Plans.

Established Contributor

Simple. The current EE tariff offerings are 'Essential', '4GEE', and 'Max'. The 'Max' plans are the most expensive? 

If you're on an older discontinued plan, then that's a different argument and with different benefits. 

The issue is about comparing the above three different plan types. The more expensive 'Max' plan is actually several times more expensive than an 'Essential' plan, but roam outside of Europe, and all of a sudden it becomes more expensive as the priority rates are given to the cheaper plans. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.