by jstern111 Investigator
Investigator

Data Roaming Leak

I have just had my latest bill following a recent trip to Germany and found data roaming charges even though i had roaming switched off in the settings of my S7 edge (I double checked this a few times whilst on my trip to be sure).

My understanding was that having roaming switched off would block all none WiFi data. What have I missed?

I am obviously not best pleased. How do I go about getting this resolved?

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Data Roaming Leak

Hi, 

Turning data off still doesn't deactivate all background services. 

To resolve the issue you will need to call CS on 150 for more specific information on your account as there is no account access on these forums. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Investigator

Thanks for the reply. I will contact customer services tomorrow.

I am going to be traveling again soon. What setting do i need to adjust if having roaming off still allows background services to use data?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @jstern111,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Which plan are you using?

You shouldn't be charged for roaming data unless you have purchased an add-on.

Thanks

James

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

What have you been charged? If you have europass for example, you get a £4 charge as soon as you make or receive a call, send a text or use mobile data

Investigator

I can't remember exactly what the plan is called but I do know it came with free calls/texts in Europe which have not been charged for on this bill. The issue appears that I have been charged for the euro data pass even when I had data roaming switched off for this particular trip.

by
EE Employee

Hi @jstern111

Here on the Community we are unable to acccess any customer account details.

Any investigation will have to be made by customer services, have you previously requested the Euro data pass?

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Lee - Thanks for the response.

Top job from EE Customer Services who today agreed to refund the charges incurred. I am however still concerned that this situation will happen again as I am due for another trip soon.

Can you advise what other settings on my Android Nougat S7 Edge that I need to adjust (other than turning roaming off which I had already done) that will stop my phone using data whilst I am abroad?

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

If you didn't want data, remove eurodata from your account and it'll require an add-on to access data.

After June hopefully this won't be an issue though when EE give you inclusive data roaming in the EU anyway.

Investigator

Thanks. Sounds like removing eurodata is the only option but still concerned that my phone can leak data when it shouldn't be!!

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Well I agree it sounds odd. I've never experienced it on my phone, turning data roaming off before I leave has never resulted in any charges and we'd have seen others have similar issues if there was a general issue. 

I wonder if it's possible for a rogue app to override the roaming settingin some way?

You could check your data usage next time on your phone, see if any apps show as using mobile data?

by
EE Employee

Hi @jstern111

As you have removed euro data pass, if your phone was trying to access data it will no longer be able to and prompt you for a bundle to purchase.

Have you tried seeing if your data leaks in the UK by checking the internal data counter?

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.