by scmarkham2702 Investigator
Investigator

Data Add On For USA

I am going to San Francisco and Las Vegas for 2 weeks in the middle of September.  I have received conflicting information from EE and need to be sure what I have to do.  I want to be able to use data whilst in the US so I can use my phone as a satnav and also to order Uber and Lyft.  One person has told me that I need to upgrade to a Max Plan for the time I am there and someone else has told me that I can choose an add on for £10 per month from the morning before I go.  Please can someone advise.  Many thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Data Add On For USA

Hi @scmarkham2702 Welcome to the community.

You might be able to upgrade to a max plan, and it would be worth calling 150 to discuss your options.

The go further add on will cost a minimum of £60 (£10 x 6 months) so may be better value depending on your use.

Also, text ROAMING to 150 now to check if roaming is enabled, just to make sure.

Let us know how it goes and enjoy your trip!

by Barmy Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Are you eligible for the Travel Data Pass Max?

This will cost you £4.80 per day that you use it in the US and will give you 500MB per day.

Text Travel to 150

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

For two weeks, the go further add on is better value in my opinion, it just doesn't appear so as you pay for it for the minimum of 6 months, but you also get calls and texts included.

Established Contributor

It is better value IF you are using data every day.

I would recommend keeping in Airplane mode most of the time and using free wifi whenever possible, only dipping into the data when you really need it.

This worked for us on our earlier visits to the States.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @scmarkham2702.

I can see you have been given a few options already.

The best option for you would depend on how much you think you will use your data.

Let us know if you have any further questions about data roaming.

Jon

Investigator

I called 150 this morning and the guy I spoke to said that I could add on for £10 for month and I could just have it for a month but it seems he was wrong.  Which option should I choose if I ring again?

Investigator

Thank you, I'm not sure this will give me enough data if I'm using a satnav??

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @scmarkham2702.

Thanks for coming back to us.

To speak to customer service again please see our get in touch page.

The add-on you have been given should be enough for what you are needing.

Jon

Established Contributor

If you are using Google Maps then you can download the maps you will need onto your phone before you travel, preferably over WiFi.

Then just set off on your journey and use the downloaded maps offline. This uses very little data.

Although I think half a gig of data a day is quite useful.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.