by jim51 Investigator
Investigator

Cruise Ship

I am trying to work out settings for my Samsung S7 for a cruise coming up.

I just want to use my call/data allowance when in EU port or close to land.

I do not want to use ships wifi as cost is £240 for the cruise.

I do not wish to use EE maritime data allowance as this is expensive at £36 for 5MB.

I have read various guides that suggest putting the phone into Airplane mode whilst on ship to stop incoming calls/texts.

But elsewhere I have read that I will receive a text to tell me my phone has treansferred from a Maritime network to an EU network provider.

Confused!!!

4 REPLIES 4
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Cruise Ship

Hi @jim51,

Welcome back to the community.

You won't be able to use data on the maritime network without purchasing an add-on, so you don't need to worry about accidentally running up a bill.

You will receive a text message when you switch between the maritime and land based networks.

Hope his helps.

James

by jim51 Investigator
Investigator

@James_B wrote:

Hi @jim51,

Welcome back to the community.

You won't be able to use data on the maritime network without purchasing an add-on, so you don't need to worry about accidentally running up a bill.

You will receive a text message when you switch between the maritime and land based networks.

Hope his helps.

James

Thanks for that

I will only receive the text if I dont switch Airplane on, but the advice elsewhere is to switch it on to stop unwanted calls/texts running up a nuisance bill? 

by jim51 Investigator
Investigator

Sorry, it flew off before I finished!

So 2 bits of advice that are saying opposites?

So I guess what I am asking is there anyway of knowing when it is safe to switch Airplane mode off or is it just trial and error i.e., keep switching on and off to see when network changes?

by Profile closed
Not applicable

I'd play it safe by switching off both Mobile Data and Data Roaming. You can find these in Settings on your phone. Turn them on only when you really want to use them. Then just keep an eye on what network your phone connects to. If you then want to be unnecessarily cautious you could go into Settings and search for and connect to Network Manually. Airplane mode is unnecessarily ultra cautious in my opinion. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.