by jamesdeeee Investigator
Investigator

Costs in EU

Hello. What are the costs of using EE in EU to EU and UK numbers? Also, does using data cost extra?

I will have to change network if so but would rather not.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Costs in EU

The same as it is in the UK calling UK nos. Your UK data allowance will also cover when you are in EU, but no more than 15 GB / month.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

The same as it is in the UK calling UK nos. Your UK data allowance will also cover when you are in EU, but no more than 15 GB / month.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

I need to know costs of calling and texting EU numbers as well.  I will barely be calling any UK numbers.

Thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

As I already said, the costs of calling and texting EU numbers from the EU, which is what you asked, is the same as the costs of calling and texting UK numbers from the UK.

Or are you wanting to know the costs of calling and texting EU numbers from the UK? That's not roaming but International & is chargeable.

Investigator

I will be in Spain calling texting and using data for up to 2 months.

I will need to confirm tact EU numbers and UK numbers and use data in Spain
and maybe other EU numbers.
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @jamesdeeee

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community today. Smiley Happy

As @XRaySpeX has already advised, you can call UK and EU numbers while you are roaming in the EU. You can also use up to 15GB data if your plan includes 15GB or more. However, if your plan includes less than 15GB, you can use your full data allowance.

So while you are roaming in Spain, you can use up to 15GB data a month, you can use your UK minutes and text allowance to call and text UK numbers and EU numbers. This includes cross border numbers, for example; Spain to France or Spain to Italy etc. Smiley Happy

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I confirm that you may do that from Spain & rest of EU at no extra cost.

Please be aware you may only benefit from EE's roaming plans for no more than 60 days abroad in any 120 day period.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

That's incorrect @XRaySpeX! Customers can benefit for more than 60 days as long as they can prove they have stable links to the UK and are not using the service for permanent or semi-permanent use. This is explained on the EU's website here.

EE's 60 day policy is a little ambiguous as the EU clearly states two months, not 60 days and they also state at least four months, not 120 days. The customer also has a two week period to clarify the situation and provide evidence they have stable links to the UK before EE have any rights to apply any roaming charges.

"Roam like at home is designed for travellers. Operators can check usage patterns to avoid abuse based on the above-mentioned indicators. In order to determine that the user might be abusively or anomalously using roam like at home, the operator would have to show the abuse over a period of time of at least four months. If a customer spends more than two months abroad out of four months, and if the customer has consumed more abroad than at home over this time, operators may send an alert to that customer. Once the alert is received, the customer will have two weeks to clarify the situation. If the user continues to remain abroad, operators will be able to apply small surcharges (equivalent to wholesale roaming caps, agreed on 31 January 2017)."

EE cannot charge you additional roaming fees or suspend your roaming service if you spend more than two months abroad in the EU, which is explained here.

"Fair use policy - monitoring

As part of their fair use policy, your operator can monitor and check your roaming use over a 4 month period. If, during this period, you have spent more time abroad than at home and your roaming exceeds your domestic usage, your operator may contact you and ask you to clarify your situation. You will have 14 days to do so. If you continue to spend more time abroad than you do at home and your roaming consumption continues to exceed your domestic usage your operator may start applying a surcharge to your roaming consumption. The surcharges (excluding VAT) are capped as follows:

• 3.2 cents per minute of voice call made
  • 1 cent per SMS
  • €7.70 per GB of data (cap in 2017)

The cap for data will progressively decrease on 1 January each year as from 2018 as follows: €6, €4.50, €3.50, €3 to €2.50 in 2022. The cap after 2019 may be revised following a review of the wholesale roaming markets in 2019."

As explained above, a customer can spend four months roaming in the EU connected to a EU network and as long as the customer has not exceeded their domestic usuage, EE can not stop you from roaming, nor can they apply roaming fees.

by
EE Employee

Hi @Jamesdeeeee and welcome to the community.

Information on the terms and conditions on roaming can be found on pages 1-4 of the terms and conditions

http://ee.co.uk/content/dam/ee-help/help-pdfs/ee-pay-monthly-price-plans-may-2017.pdf

Hope this helps,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.