by glsurridge86 Investigator
Investigator

Contacting EE outside of the UK to activate Roaming without access to a phone

Hi,

I have a EE pay as you go sim card that used to be mobile contract but due to travelling for a year it wouldn't work in some areas so i just chose the pay as you go method. However since travelling, ROAMING has not been active and i have no way to contact EE support by phone as its rare to find any local phones that i can use or call outside of the country. So i need to contact EE support to enable roaming on my device by either email or live chat support. Is there a way of contacting EE enable roaming on my mobile without calling them?

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Contacting EE outside of the UK to activate Roaming without access to a phon

@glsurridge86  You don’t need to activate roaming on payg as it’s already activated for the service.  What you do need if your outside the EU is credit on your account to pay for call/texts or a bundle for the country your in to keep your costs down.   

by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Contacting EE outside of the UK to activate Roaming without access to a phon

Hi @glsurridge86,

Welcome to the community. Smiley Happy

@Chris_B is correct, roaming is automatically activated on all pay as you go accounts.

Do you have sufficient credit to use your phone abroad?

Do you use the SIM regularly? Could it have entered hibernation?

Thanks

James 

Investigator

Hey,

Hmm that is weird. Ive been trying to use my phone since Mexico and even topped it up with 20pounds but roaming just isnt working and its not connecting to EE or any partner networks. Ive tried in ever country since Florida, to Mexico, to Guatemala, to El Salvador, to Nicaragua and now im in Costa Rica and it still doesn't work. Is there a way to test my number somewhere? My number is +44XXXXXXXXXX.

Thank you for the advice so far.

[Mod edit: Please do not post personal information such as your phone number in this public forum. Thanks]

by

Hi @glsurridge86,

I'm afraid we can't access your account via the community. 

Did you activate the SIM card before you left the UK or has it never been used?

Have you made a chargeable transaction within the last 179 days? See the pay as you go hibernation guide for more information.

Thanks

James

Investigator

Hi,

Well i had a mobile contract until October 2017 when it ended and i started my travels from the UK to FLorida, Usa. EE said they switched my account to Pay As you Go. But since then its not worked. I topped it up in novemeber with 10pounds, then december with 10 pounds to test it. But it just wont connect to apartner network so i cant receive or make texts or calls, let alone use it for the internet. I assumed it was because of roaming or something similar, but now i have my doubts. 

Kind Regards

Gary

by

Hi @glsurridge86,

Have you used the pay as you go SIM in the UK?

It needs to be connected to the EE network in the UK to activate.

Thanks

James

Investigator

Hi,

No i have not. I was'nt told this when i spoke to support to change my contract to a pay as you go. I did mention i was going to the USA and that would be 3 weeks before my contract date would end. Pretty annoying. Is there any other way to get it working? I really need it my phone is linked to my online banks etc and i cant access them currently due to needing a confirmation code on my mobile... 

by

Hi @glsurridge86,

It's not possible to activate a SIM outside of the UK unfortunately.

I would recommend contacting customer services from an alternative phone to double check this is the cause of the issue.

Thanks

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.