by rjbarrettster Investigator
Investigator

Can't pick up coverage in Ireland??

I live in Ireland but use my EE SIM card for keeping in touch with family and to use when I go back to the UK. I'm back between the UK and Ireland quite a lot so it made sense to stay with EE. A couple weeks ago, the network I use for roaming, 3, wouldn't connect any more and the other networks are very weak in my area so I can't use them. I was in the UK last week and my SIM card worked absolutely fine but I picked up another EE SIM card just in case. I managed to pick up service for a couple of days (Friday-today) and now it's coming up with No Service on both my SIM and the new PAYG SIM card. Other 3 phones in the house work fine.

Is there any issues with roaming in Ireland or specifically 3? I've phoned them and they've said to speak to EE about it as it's not their problem.

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Can't pick up coverage in Ireland??

Hi @rjbarrettster 

When did you last make a chargeable call or text on the SIM you use? 

On the new SIM did you activate (use it) in the UK?

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Investigator

@Northerner, I last made a chargeable call on Friday when I managed to pick up service here in Ireland. My spare SIM card was activated in the UK with a £10 top up and a text back to my main number.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @rjbarrettster 

Can you manually try and select a network from network settings. Turn off auto select/select automatically.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Investigator

@Northerner, both SIM cards pick up the same list of networks: vodafone IE, IRL - METEOR, 3 (3G) and 3. 

vodafone IE yields one bar of EDGE where I live, same with IRL - METEOR / eir. Tapping on 3 (3G) used to connect me to the 3 network within 5-10 seconds and I'd have full bars of 3G coverage but now comes up with No Service. Tapping on 3 on both mobiles connects me to the 3 network on 4G but the signal bars aren't filled at all (grey on iPhone, black = signal). Oddly enough, I can use data while it's on grey signal bars but it boots me off after 30-40 seconds to No Service.

Can confirm that there are other mobiles in the house which use the 3 network and the coverage is v. strong.

Not too sure what to do in this case.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @rjbarrettster.

Thanks for coming to the community.

Are you able to try resetting the network settings?

This is done in Settings, General, Reset, Reset Network Settings.

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.