by asurti
Explorer

Can my wifes Shared Phone SIM roam in EU & US within the master sim

I have a 4GG MAX Plan and my wife has a Shared Phone SIM.  She will be travelling across Europe and US alone.  Will she get free roaming in both locatons ?

12 REPLIES 12
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Can my wifes Shared Phone SIM roam in EU & US within the master sim

Hello @asurti sharers can use your lead MAX plan inclusive data roaming allowances but not your inclusive minutes and texts roaming allowances. These will only be included if their sharer plan also has inclusive minutes and texts roaming allowances. Sharers can now use their UK allowances within the EU and EEA like all other EE users:

http://shop.ee.co.uk/international/travelling-abroad

🙂

by asurti
Explorer

Just so that I am clear, she will be travelling across europe and US and will be able to use my roaming allowances without me travelling with her ?

I have been told that she can only use the roaming benefit if I am travelling with her and the master plan is  also roaming.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@asurti   When did you get this max plan ?  Because EE have charged the max plans but depending on when you got it she might not be able to use the minutes and texts whilst in the US.  She can though use them

in the EU though and data is not include on shared plans whilst roaming. 

by asurti
Explorer

I got the plan on Saturday, so its the newest 4gee.

The information on the website is extrimely confusing. Time to make a point with Ofcom, surely it can not be this difficult to get a stright answer.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

From EE shares plan when abroad page. 

Shared Plans - control data and usage abroad
If you’ve already got a Shared Plan from EE, you can see who’s used your shared data, and decide who can use more with our new Usage Controls.

You can also decide who’s allowed to buy more data, and who can use their phone when they’re abroad, so you’re in complete control of who’s spending money on your Shared Plan.

by davidthornton Established Contributor
Established Contributor

So to recap, we have "old max" and "new max". The latter are £2.00 per month and include roaming in five extra countries beyond the EU. 

Prior to the new EU roaming rules, and the introduction of "new max", sharers of "old max" benefitted from shared data when in the UK and the EU. However, only the lead sharer benefitted from inclusive minutes and texts when in the EU. Sharers only had inclusive minutes and texts when in the UK and not the EU. This has of course now changed due to recent legislation changes. Now both the lead sharer and the sharers themselves benefit from data, minutes and texts when in the UK and the EU. 

I don't believe sharers on "new max" would benefit from the minutes and texts when in the five extra countries beyond the EU. They would only benefit from the shared data. Only the lead sharer would benefit from the inclusive minutes and texts as well as the shared data. 

I also don't believe that the lead sharer needs to be in the same location as any of the sharers (e.g. roaming in the same country with them) for the above to function as I have described. There should be no reason for them to be. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @asurti

@davidthornton is correct.

The lead does not need to be in the same country as the sharer.

The sharer will have access to data in all the available countries on your Max Plan but can only use inclusive minutes and texts within the EU.

So to answer your question - if you're on a new Max Plan your wife, as a sharer, will be able to use calls, texts and data within the EU and data only whilst in the US.

I'll feed back and see if we can get some additional info added to the website about sharers.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by clydey10
Visitor

Hi @Karen_C

I have the same scenario at the moment, i have moved to a new max plan and ordered a sharer SIM.

Based on the information you have given at the moment i understand that both the leader and the sharer will have access to unlimited minutes, texts and data within the UK and the EU. 

Can you confirm if the leader will have access to minutes, texts and data when roaming in the additional countries such as USA? Will the sharer have access these too?

Established Contributor

@clydey10 wrote:

Hi @Karen_C

Can you confirm if the leader will have access to minutes, texts and data when roaming in the additional countries such as USA? Will the sharer have access these too?

I’ve just moved from “old max” to “new max” myself. There’s one lead and four sharers. As far as I am aware the lead has access to data, minutes and texts in UK, EU and the five non-EU countries. The sharing element has always just been about access to the data only. Sharers will have access to the data in UK, EU and the five non-EU countries. Sharers have their own unlimited minutes and texts which are only valid for use in UK and EU (not elsewhere). 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @clydey10,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Yes, the leader will have access to minutes, texts and data when roaming in the additional countries such as USA.

The sharer will have access to data in all the available countries on your Max Plan but can only use inclusive minutes and texts within the EU.

Thanks

James

Established Contributor

I just want to follow up this thread given I’ve been roaming in USA (Puerto Rico) and now Canada on a new max plan in recent months. 

I have a sharer plan and am the lead, this carry a phone with the lead number. I also carry a second phone with a shared number.

I believe that I need to make sure that any inbound or outbound calls and any outbound sms are made using the phone with the lead number, otherwise I’ll be charged. The second and subsequent phones share just the overall data allowance when in the UK, EU and the five “new max” countries included. 

It has always been the case with sharer plans that the secondary and subsequent phones just share the data element of the plan. Each phone gets its own amount of unlimited calls and sms but these are only free in the UK and EU, and usually chargeable everywhere else in the world. 

by
EE Employee

Hi, @davidthornton and welcome back.

Hope you're having a brilliant time travelling.

I will look into this query for you.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.