by Sinclair91
Explorer

Call charge and location

I live in the Channel Islands. I joined EE whilst in UK, on a £14 per month plan, which came with a simm card. The plan says unlimited calls and texts to UK and Europe. Two short calls from Southampton to Guernsey cost £11.47 and a total bill of £24. Checking last month's useage shows 82 roaming entries (must be texts) from the Isle of Man to my various contacts. No charges, but I have not been to the Isle of Man for at least forty years.

All so wierd, and contacting EE is harder than finding extraterestrial life, so perhaps the Community can advise?

Thank you, Brian.

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Call charge and location

@Sinclair91.  

If you want to call customer services use this number 

+44 7953 966 250

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You bought a UK plan. The C.Is. are not part of the UK. So it will cost you when you are calling a non-UK no. (incl. C.Is) from the UK. You are not roaming when you do so. They count as International calls & are chargeable.

International calls & texts to overseas nos. from UK can be rather expensive but EE has a free add-on that anyone, on PAYG or contract, can apply for to give these calls & texts at a fraction of the standard rates. See The Free CALL ABROAD Add-on for Cheap Calls/Texts from UK .

When you make any calls or texts from the C.Is you will be roaming on a UK-based SIM. I can't explain IoM but just could be a naming error. Did you make 82 texts from C.Is? That could be it, esp. as they were free & so were counted as EU roaming.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Team

Hi @Sinclair91,

Welcome to the community 🙂

I can see that @Chris_B and @XRaySpeX have given you some great information.

Please come back and let us know if you need any further help.

Alex 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Sinclair91  Now I’ve managed to get this map.

08ED0765-4BAF-4F77-9719-73207C1DBCDE.jpeg

EE only covers the United Kingdom, so at some point you’ll be charged for roaming and after a period of time EE could cut you off as you exceeding the amount of time out of the UK and running up a bill.   

No contract is designed for long stays out of the UK they are meant short terms abroad ( 60 days ) 

by Sinclair91
Explorer

Thanks for all the help and advice from the community. Just to fill in some detail, I took out my £14 monthly plan at the EE shop in Bury (Lancs). I explained to Emily that I live in the Channel Islands, and was on PAYG, originally with Orange, then EE , and that I would like to change to a monthly plan. She discussed this with anothe r staff member, and he explained the £14 one in detail, said that it includes the Ch annel Islands, and would give me unlimited texts and calls to landlines and mobile s in UK and Europe. The paperwork they gave me includes a list of about 48 count ries which EE considers the "euro zone". Jersey and Guernsey are included in the l ist. I made it clear to them that we are not a part of the UK, nor members of the EU. "No problem". The plan worked perfectly, and my monthly charge was reduced by £4 for paying by Direct Debit. So it came as a surprise when the two short calls from Southampt on Airport to the Airline Reservations in Guernsey cost £11.47, the first time any e xtra charges have been made. I will phone EE to get their take on this, but as the Community has been so helpful I wanted to give you the "whole story". Thank you again. Brian. (sinclair91)

EE Community Mail <community@ee.co.uk> wrote:

My EE Shop Help Why EE

Hello Sinclair91,

XRaySpeX posted a new reply in Roaming.

Read it here: Re: Call charge and location

Here's what they said:

You bought a UK plan. The C.Is. are not part of the UK. So it will cost you when you are calling a non-UK no. (incl. C.Is) from the UK. You are not roaming when you do so. They count as International calls & are chargeable.

International calls & texts to overseas nos. from UK can be rather expensive but EE has a free add-on that anyone, on PAYG or contract, can apply for to give these calls & texts at a fraction of the standard rates. See The Free CALL ABROAD Add-on for Cheap Calls/Texts from UK .

When you make any calls from the C.Is you will be roaming on a UK-based SIM. I can't explain IoM but just could be a naming error. Did you make 82 texts from C.Is? That could be it.

Reply | Mark as the solution | Mark as helpful

The EE Community Team

EE Community | Log into My EE | Official EE Help

Manage your EE Community emails or unsubscribe

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Sinclair91 wrote:

he explained the £14 one in detail, said that it includes the Channel Islands, and would give me unlimited texts and calls to landlines and mobile s in UK and Europe. The paperwork they gave me includes a list of about 48 countries which EE considers the "euro zone". Jersey and Guernsey are included in the list.

All that is true but only when you are roaming. When you within the UK you are not roaming & only texts and calls to UK nos are included in the plan. He should have made that clear to you & failed if he didn't.

The same applied when you were on EE PAYG.

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.