by Jago Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Bought gee Max plan. Data not working in US

Help!! In the US and get a solid 4G signal but zero data. EE wants me to pay extra but I'm on the max plan. I'm pissed. I feel cheated by the sales rep. 

59 REPLIES 59
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Bought gee Max plan. Data not working in US

@Jago  Unless your on one of the new max plans it will not work in the US only the EU.  

Have a look at THIS 

Established Contributor

Thanks. Definitely bought the MAX plan for this exact purpose. I fly to the states a lot. Was on 3 before and their US data is solid. Switched only because it's limited to 3G and EE promised 4G. But EE better step up and offer it. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Established Contributor

@Chris_B literally 2 days ago

Established Contributor

Tried to call tech support but they are gone for holiday weekend. Need data access. Thanks for any ideas. Also hopping a flight now so will check back for help in a bit. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jago   Did you activate roaming before leaving the UK ?   Your tariff allows you to use your allowances when abroad but it doesn't mean roaming is enabled by default.   If you login to your online account and wait for a live chat window to pop up you can use this to request roaming to be enabled on your account.    If roaming is enabled have you tried restarting your device ? 

Established Contributor

No. Sales guy didn't tell me I had to activate roaming. On 3 it just does it automatically. Do you have to activate before every trip outside the UK?

Ill do the chat window when I land and report back. Thanks for that. 

Also, text and calling works correctly and I get a 4G signal off a US carrier. So the roaming activation is for data only?

Thanks again

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jago  Are you calling back to the UK ?  If you are then roaming is enabled on your account.  And you only need to have it enabled once.   

Established Contributor

Yes. I called back to the U.K. successfully on the iPhone with the EE sim. And I get a solid 4G signal. When I try websites, it pushes me to the EE page and says I've run out of data and need to buy more. So I'm totally confused. 

Im on inflight wifi now. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jago   If your on a max plan that you got 2 days ago you should have a data connection and you shouldn't be redirected to any page to purchase any data unless you've go no data left in this billing cycle.   What does your account say about your remaining data allowance?  

Established Contributor

Here's what it says:

Your data allowance

You don't have any data

Roaming

Roaming enabled

Your plan and add-ons

12M SIM 4GEE 20GB £21

So...what the heck is going on???

Thanks again for all your support.

Established Contributor

Also, it's not offering me a live chat window when I login.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jago  Sorry to say but you'll need to call customer services tomorrow morning ( uk time ) after 8am.  It looks like your account is not setup correctly.   

If you wish you can come back here and @Lee_H can help you get a live chat with EE.  He will reply to this post as I've tagged him in on it. 

Just to add customer services closes at 10pm so you'll not get live chat.  

Established Contributor

Ok.  Thanks.  At least we trouble-shot the issue.  What are the odds anyone is in on the call line tomorrow with it being a holiday in UK?

Established Contributor

Is the chat pop up browser-specific?  Tried Chrome and Firefox and didn't get any option for that.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jago  You can use any browser.  And CS will be open

@Lee_H ( EE staff member) will be on here about 10am and he'll get you a live chat request with customer services.  

Established Contributor

Also, here is more info about the plan I bought:

Your contract dates Contract starts: 24 May 2017 Contract ends: 24 May 2018 Plan length: 12 months Your allowances Included roaming destinations: 47 destinations included for roaming Included SMS texts: Unlimited Included phone minutes: Unlimited Included data: 20 GB

Established Contributor

OK thanks.  That's super early in the states.  But I'll try to get online first thing in the am over here.  maybe the chat is turned off because nobody is there to man it right now (late at night on weekend in UK).  

I hope to get this fixed.  Thinking seriously about dropping EE to head back to 3 at this point.  Still have an active 3 sim card and never had this kind of stuff with them.

Having said all of this, really really appreciate your support so far.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jago   That doesn't look right  as it should be 47 EU locations and 5 none EU.  One of the 5 is the US.  I don't understand how  you don't have data unless your not on one of the new max plans but you should be if you took this contract out 2 days ago as these came in to effect on may the 10th.    

With you getting redirected to purchase data at a guess ill say your not on one of the new max plans but I don't see how you could not be.   Sorry I can not help you rectify this but @Lee_H can help and point you in the right direction.  

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.