by martinzone Contributor
Contributor

Are 4G speeds in EU roaming throttled?

I'm on PAYG here in the UK, but the problem is that while in Croatia, EU, although roaming works fine, the speeds are about the 1/10 of what I normally get in the UK.

There is no problem with network capacity on the particular spot in Croatia, as with a croatian number at the same time, place and network connected, the speeds are even better than in the UK.

Does that mean that EE or guest network throttling 4G bandwidth while in roaming?

thanks

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Are 4G speeds in EU roaming throttled?

Hi @martinzone

The simple answer is no there is no throttle. 

The problems you will have is those local networks as EE cannot guarantee the quality of foreign networks. 

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.

The quality of the foreign network is fine, tested it on several occasions on the same time, place, network, mast, even in the same phone by switching SIMs.

Croatian SIM 35 mbps

EE SIM connected to the same network 2-3 mbps top.

If not by the EE, then is throttled by the guest network. Would you know do EU roaming rules allow a discriminatory activity ?

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

EE have been known to throttle when roaming in the EU to 2Mbps so if you were getting exactly that every time I would say it's likely to be EE.

by
EE Employee

Hi @martinzone and welcome to the community.

So I can try and help, please may I get you to perform a manual network search and choose a network other than what you are on.

iPhone: Go to Settings > Carrier and turn off Automatic. Wait until available networks appear, which might take two minutes. Tap the carrier that you want.

Android: Open the Settings menu >Tap More > Mobile Networks > Carrier and turn off Automatic. Wait until available networks appear, which might take two minutes. Tap the carrier that you want

Let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

Contributor

No significant difference on any network.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @martinzone,

Please get in touch with customer services so our technical team can look into this in more detail for you.

Thanks

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.