by Themissingl Investigator
Investigator

Abroad, Account Suspended

Hi,

I’ currently abroad and can’t make calls as my account has been suspended. I was able to make calls earlier in my trip, and my EE account/payments are up to date. I don’t have another phone I can call EE on (travelling alone) and of course can’t call from my handset. I can’t seem to find any way to try and fix this other than looking on the EE community boards where I can’t see any definitive way to fix this. Surely it’s ludicrous to not have an email contact? Or a way to call EE if your account is suspended? Any help much appreciated...

18 REPLIES 18
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Abroad, Account Suspended

@Themissingl : How do you know your a/c is suspended? For what reason?

Where abroad?

Can you send texts & use data? Can you receive calls & texts?

Are you on contract or PAYG?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Themissingl

Welcome to the community.

Could you let us know where you've been and where you are now?

Could you try manually connecting to an available network please?

Device type Actions
iPhone Settings > Mobile Data > Network Selection > Turn off Automatic
Android Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Operators > Tap OK
Windows Settings > Mobile Network > Network Selection > Tap on start manual search

Thanks

Chris

by Tharrison
Visitor

I have the same problem and as I work abroad it is a serious issue. I can only make and receive calls, access the internet when I have WiFi. Seriously considering cancelling my contract  

Investigator

Hi there

Thanks for your reply. I’m currently in Thailand, and when I try to make a call to any number after a Thai message, the English translation then says my account is currently suspended? I made a call on the 15th to HSBC from a pretty remote island and it worked fine, albeit a longer than anticipated call. Could my account have been suspended due to the charge for this perhaps?
I have received texts and can still use data (although I have data roaming turned off and am WiFi 99% of the time).

Any help really appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone
by

Hi @Tharrison

Sorry to hear that. Whereabouts are you?

Is roaming and calling abroad enabled in your My EE account?

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Tharrison : Is your a/c suspended too?

When were you last in UK?

Are you on contract or PAYG?

Let's have some more detail.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Hi Chris!

I’ve been to Koh Tao, Koh Phangan and now I’m back in Koh Samui in Thailand (where I was able to make calls at the start of Jan). I’ve been connected to AIS which seems has the best service, but have manually flipped to others with minimal success/1 service bar available so now manually back on AIS.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Themissingl : Does it say your a/c is suspended when you look in your MyEE? Maybe it just means your calls are being blocked rather than you actual a/c being suspended.

If you are on contract, did you activate roaming on your EE a/c before you left UK by texting ROAMING to 150?

Try logging into your MyEE account online & go to Menu / Manage Device / Roaming Abroad and also Call Abroad and Premium Rate. They will show as ticked if roaming and calling abroad is activated. If they are not ticked, can you activate these settings?

Investigator

Hi

I assume so as I was able to use both data and calls earlier in my trip. It seems only now I’m not able to make calls - I can text, use data...any ideas? I’m travelling solo so I’d feel more comfortable knowing I could make a call if there was an emergency so really appreciate your help!

Sent from my iPhone
Investigator

No, it gives me the balance of data for the month and says my last payment was received on 29th Dec so everything looks up to date and normal.
Is my calls are blocked, any idea how I might unblock them? Like I said I made a call on the 15th just fine to HSBC, so could my calls be blocked due to the cost of this perhaps? It would be great if EE notified you in some way or gave an option to lift any bars/holds via text. I’m really not sure what I can do to resolve this 🥴

Sent from my iPhone
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Never assume! What does MyEE say?

Did you check the Manage Device Roaming & Call Abroad settings?

Highlighted
Investigator

Sent from my iPhone
by

Hi there @Themissingl

Please follow the advice provided by @XRaySpeX and check that you have the right settings enabled within your My EE. 

Speak shortly, 

Katie 🙂

Investigator

Hi Katie

Can you please tell me how to check this on my EE? 
thabks!

by

Of course @Themissingl

When you log in to your My EE the option should be under 'Manage Device'.

If this does not show, the option will be under 'Account Settings'. 

Katie 🙂

Investigator

Hi Katie

Ah-ha! Although my roaming settings were allowed I think I’ve figured out what the issue was, I had a out of contract £5 cap, which given my lengthy call to HSBC (who also blocked my account whilst travelling 🤦🏻‍♀️) I’ve very likely exceeded it. I’ve just changed it to £50, et voila! I can now make calls. I didn’t even know this cap existed...
I’d still say the inability to contact EE by phone in these situations is a little worrying, I am lucky enough to have WiFi access but what would I do if I didn’t and my data was also not working? As a female, regular solo traveller I urge EE to look into this and allow 150 calls worldwide for peace of mind and safety of their customers - sounds like a fair deal given the pretty hefty charges for services out of the UK? I’m sure it would be paid back ten fold, if not in good karma!

Thanks for sending me on the right direction all!

A

Sent from my iPhone
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

by

It's great to hear this is now sorted @Themissingl.

I hope you have a fantastic time abroad, 

Katie 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions