by joel3 Investigator
Investigator

4g throttled while roaming

I'm on a 4gee Max plan and while roaming in Norway, browsing simple websites has been painfully slow, even with a full 4g signal.

My son was roaming on the same network as me (Telenor) and getting decent speeds (he's with Three) so we did a side-by-side speetest using the speedtest.net app. I was getting less than 2MB and he was getting 10MB!

I would say the browsing experience was worse than 2MB - sometimes a simple page would take about a  minute to load.

My partner (also on EE) is also getting slow speeds so the roaming operator is clearly throttling for EE customers but not for Three customers. Why is this?

8 REPLIES 8
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: 4g throttled while roaming

When did you take out your Max Plan?

by joel3 Investigator
Investigator

Late last year - November I think.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Yes, EE have been attempting to throttle MAX plans to 2Mbit/s.

EE will tell you it's down the local network and tell you anything except admit it

You should raise a formal complaint. I found in Sweden I was limited to 2meg but swapping to another network was unthrottled. It's worth trying other local networks if possible.

by toffeebrann Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I’ve noticed this also when I was in Holland using T-Mobile. I was getting 2mbs but my dutch friend who had a dutch T-Mobile sim was getting 80mbs. EE are obviously capping Max plans in the EU which is breach of contract. 

by joel3 Investigator
Investigator

Agreed - have raised a complaint and we'll see what they say..

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@joel3 Please keep us updated. I tried to get someone in EE to understand, and failed.

by joel3 Investigator
Investigator

@chistery I had a call from EE customer service today and they agreed it's not what should happen on my max plan (I should be getting the fastest available speeds) do they have passed it to their technical team to investigate and will let me know what they find out. They've also refunded part of my plan costs for the month as compensation. Seems like a good response so far but will still be interested to find out what the technical answer is and whether it will be solved next time I travel..

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Good to hear, @joel3. You can read about my tale of woe with tech support here.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.