by n1david Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

4Gee Max not working in NZ

Have a post-May 4Gee Max plan. Landed in NZ three days ago and got the SMS that I had free roaming and to use my phone as normal. However, when I tried I was offered data addons. I did a hard reset on my iPhine and data started working. 

About 4pm it stopped and prompted me again for a data add on. I couldn’t get it to offer me free data following a hard reset so bought the data addon and contacted EE that evening. The rep pushed a new SIM update and said that after the data add on was used, the free data would kick in again (the addon was also refunded). 

4pm the next day and same thing happens. Same half hour live chat with EE rep at 10pm last night. Data addon has just run out and no dice with free roaming again. 

Something obviously recognises that that I have 4Gee Max as I’m not offered the £6 Travel Data Pass my husband is - only the addons. Rep has suggested I hit my 15GB roaming limit but my phone reports only 171MB of roaming use and I had problems as soon as I landed. I last roamed in early December (and that was not in a free roaming country)

It it feels like I’m stuck in a rut contacting EE every day which is a pain given the time difference. Asking the experts here if they have any ideas, either to fix the problem of get this escalated somewhere within EE to stop me having to do 20 minutes live chat every night!

edited to add: voice and SMS are working fine. I’ve tried both Automatic network selection and selecting each network manually. And I’ve tried with 4G on and off.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Re: 4Gee Max not working in NZ

The same thing happened to me when I went to NYC. I could only buy add-ons and not use my allowance.

EE thought it might have been the EE Max travel Data Pass (they didn't seem to know what that was) so removed it, and refreshed my account, and it all started working. They did refund all my add-ons. 

Not much help I know as EE didn't really know but get it escalated to technical support, ensure you get a text confirming that any costs will be refunded and hopefully they can find the issue.

15 REPLIES 15
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @n1david

Thank you for taking the time to post on the Community today. Smiley Happy

So we can try and help, can you text AL to 150 from your EE phone and tell me what the reply states please?

Valued Contributor

My month has just ended and I am part way through another 100MB addon and this is what I get:

Your current charges to go onto your next bill are £0.00 (this excludes line rental, VAT & any unprocessed charges). Your current allowance is: You have Unlimited texts in UK and abroad in EU & selected countries. You have 20MB remaining of your 100MB shared plan data allowance. This will reset 01 Mar 2018. You have used 0KB of free data for Apple music since 29/01/2018.. For more info on your plan and what it includes/excludes check My EE. Go to ee.co.uk/myeeplan

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @n1david,

Welcome back to the EE Community.

Could you have used the majority of your data allowance before you left the UK?

Thanks

James

Valued Contributor

I suppose it’s possible, but very unlikely. I’m on a 30GB plan and I’ve never come close to that limit. And in any case, my allowances restart on the 28th of each month, so I should now be in a new 30GB month, and so all I have used since the 28th has been the roaming data through the addons (plus the first half-day or so when it worked without an addon).

by

Thanks @n1david

Have you checked your data usage in the My EE app?

James

Valued Contributor

Ah - there may be something in this - it’s showing no data allowance. 

31FD0FA0-0DC2-4E55-A42E-167FEDB6F629.jpeg

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Thank you for replying @n1david.

I think that might have something to do with the problem. I had the exact same problem when I was roaming in the U.S., on my normal bill date (the day my allowances normally refreshed) my data allowance didn't refresh (it told me I had unlimited which is impossible because EE don't do unlimited on Pay Monthly or Business) until I arrived back in the U.K. but I'm not on a Max Plan so it didn't effect me as I was buying the 500MB daily Travel Data Pass.

I think the best thing to do is speak with customer services and get them to investigate why you're not receiving your data allowance. Smiley Happy

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

The same thing happened to me when I went to NYC. I could only buy add-ons and not use my allowance.

EE thought it might have been the EE Max travel Data Pass (they didn't seem to know what that was) so removed it, and refreshed my account, and it all started working. They did refund all my add-ons. 

Not much help I know as EE didn't really know but get it escalated to technical support, ensure you get a text confirming that any costs will be refunded and hopefully they can find the issue.

by

Thanks for checking, @n1david.

You can do this by logging into your My EE account on your phone's browser (not the app) or a computer. Once you're logged in, a chat window will pop up when an advisor is available.

If you can't get in contact with chat, please get in touch from an alternative phone.

Enjoy the rest of your trip 🙂

Chris

Valued Contributor

Thanks for this @chistery. EE have taken off the Max Travel Data Pass as I had that on my account from a previous visit to a non-free country. So I hope that resolves my problem too. I am now seeing a data allowance in My EE which I wasn’t yesterday, so I’m optimistic. 

Thanks for coming up with the answer when EE staff couldn’t (although to be fair they were incredibly helpful and never had any hesitation about refunding the addons). 

Cant be completely certain as I bought a weeks addon yesterday in frustration, but I’m sure it’ll work now given the change in My EE. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Glad to hear things are starting to look hopeful @n1davidSmiley Happy

Would it be possible if this could be fed back to the roaming team @Christopher_G or @James_B as there's two examples of the Max Travel Data Pass interfering with the Max Plan data allowance and possibly other users are experiencing the same problem?

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @n1david I'm glad my help was useful, though strange. EE don't seem to be promoting the maxtravel add-on to max plan users, so there probably isn't many with it. Hopefully the EE staff tagged can pass this back and see if there is a problem.

I'll tag @Lee_H as well as he was the one who was involved previously with this add-on.

Enjoy the rest of your trip though, hopefully I'll make it there one day!

by
EE Employee

Hi @Inyourbox and @chistery

Hopefully, this will be picked up by the relevant teams who can deal with this.

Many thanks,

Lee

by dracowang98
Visitor

hi,

I have my travel max plan abroad in China and it worked for few days. It stopped working and asked me to buy expensive chunks. I'm meant to have 500mb every day but it does not refresh now. Could you help me solve this question?

Thanks

by

Hi @dracowang98,

Thanks for visiting the EE Community. Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems using data in China.

Please login to My EE where you can chat with customer services online, they'll be happy to look into this for you.

James

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.