by
EE Community Support Team

4GEE Max Plans & new EU Regulations: Your questions answered

[ Edited ]

Due to upcoming EU Regulation changes and the launch of our new plans, you've asked us about 4GEE Max Plans and what they cover when travelling in the EU and beyond.

Whether you’ve recently taken out a 4GEE Max Plan or you’ve been with EE for a while on a 4GEE Max Plan you’ll want to know what’s included, fair usage and how to change your plan. We’ve answered some of your questions below.

What’s the new EU Roaming regulation?

From 15 June if you’re a UK mobile customer you’ll be able to use your phones and devices in the EU and EEA at the same cost as if you were at home in the UK, including using your voice, data and text allowances at no additional cost.

I’m on an 4GEE Max Plan – what’s new for me?

If you chose a 4GEE Max Plan before 10 May, you can use your minutes, texts and data in 48 destinations right now – there’s no need to wait until the regulatory changes on 15 June.

Visit our dedicated roaming pages for more information.

The plans do not have USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia and New Zealand included within the allowance.

If you would like to benefit from these additional 5 countries please get in touch with our customer service team to discuss changing your plan to one of the new 4GEE Max Plans that became available on 10 May 2017.

I’m a new 4GEE Max Plan customer – how does this affect me?

If you’ve upgraded, changed your plan or taken a new contract on one of our new 4GEE Max Plans since 10th May, you can use your minutes, texts and data in 53 destinations including Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and USA.

What does fair usage mean?

• If your UK data allowance is greater than 15GB, you will be subject to a fair usage policy of 15GB whilst you are roaming in the inclusive destinations.

• If you exceed the fair usage allowance when roaming we will let you know by text and you may purchase a data add-on if needed.

• Read our data fair use policy (PDF, 179KB).

What roaming speeds will I get while I’m abroad?

• While roaming our 4GEE Essential and 4GEE customers will get our standard roaming speeds abroad - fast enough for streaming video, uploading photos and browsing.

• 4GEE Max customers will get our fastest available speeds both at home and abroad. This applies for all our 4GEE Max Plans – taken before and from 10 May 2017.

• Please note that data speeds will be depend on the local network you’re using and may not be as fast as in the UK.

Is there a maximum length for calls while abroad?

The maximum call length both back to the UK and within the country in which you’re travelling made using inclusive roaming allowances (as long as it’s in the list of countries included) is 120 minutes. If your call is longer than this you’ll have to redial to continue the call.

Have you got any other questions you'd like us to answer? Please leave a comment below and we'll be happy to help.

29 REPLIES
by
Scholarly Contributor

Re: 4GEE Max Plans & new EU Regulations: Your questions answered

What is the definition of "standard roaming speeds abroad"?

Would also help to reiterate at any opportunity that you must have roaming enabled.

by

Hello there @chistery.

Thanks for the advice.

Yes Roaming would need to be set up for anyone who does not have this activated and  is going abroad by our customer service team.

If you’re on an Extra Plan, you will get our standard roaming data speeds when abroad - fast enough to stream standard video, use your favourite apps, upload photos and browse.  

On 4GEE Max Plans - you’ll get our fastest speeds when overseas, It’s easy to change your plan to a 4GEE Max Plan by contacting customer service, This will not affect your contract length.

Speeds outside the UK always depend on the network you connect to and 4G may or may not be available within the country you are travelling to.

Thanks very much!

by
Scholarly Contributor

Sorry @leanne_T but you haven't answered the question.

What speed do EE throttle users to, on EE Extra plans?

Highlighted
by
Prodigious Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have just added a Travel Data Pass to my pre May EE Max plan. Useful for trips outside the EU!

by

Hi @350doc

Glad you are now sorted.

Many thanks,

Lee

by
Investigator

Hi. You say that if you're on a pre-May 10th 4GEE Max Plan, you need to call your CS team to activate inclusive USA roaming, as it's not automatically included in those plans.

I called your CS team a couple of weeks ago to enquire about changing my plan to include USA roaming, and was advised that from the 15th of June it would automatically be included, so I don't need to do anything further.

I travel to the USA next week, so had a web chat with one of your agents today, who again confirmed that from today USA roaming would be automatically included in my plan. I've even got the transcript of the web chat to prove it.

So, which is correct? The advice in your post telling me I have to call CS to get it added/change plan. Or the advice your CS team is giving out, which is that's it'll be automatically included from today.

I really do want to use my phone in the US, but don't want to pay an arm and a leg to do so.

Any assistance you can give will be greatly appreciated.

by
Investigator

Hi @AwkwardLoki

Exactly the same here – enquired about existing Max plans & whether they will include the 5 additional countries on the day of press release. 2 chat agents confirmed this would be automatically applied due to ‘our loyalty’ and as we are ‘very special customers’ – also have the transcripts to prove. I also asked multiple times; that this was the 5 additional countries that will be applied – and it was confirmed.

by

Good Morning @AwkwardLoki & aaron_G

I can confirm the only way to get access to the 5 additional countries is to move to one of the new Max Plans.

Sorry you have been given incorrect information.

The Travel data Pass is now available for Max Plans - which can help reduce costs.

If you give customer services a call they will be able to help if you would like to change your plan.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by
Investigator

[ Edited ]

Sorry to double post; however speaking to live chat agent again this morning confirms the below –

“Yes, your current plan is EE Max sim old version Unlimited mins, texts and 40GB UK data and 15GB is what you can use while abroad in EU countries and the 5 additional countries.”

So the above posting must be incorrect; @leanne_T are you able to clarify?

Thanks.

Update - @Karen_C Sorry; looks like we posted at the same time - please see above comments from your live chat this morning?

by
Investigator

[ Edited ]

Morning Karen.

Thanks for your reply. I would love to speak with a CS agent about moving from the 'old' 4Gee max plan to the 'new' 4Gee Max plan. However, whenever I try to do this, and as experienced by arron_g, your CS agent advises that they can't do this as the 'old' 4Gee max plan now includes the extra 5 countries.

Now, I'm happy to accept that you are correct and that I need to switch to the 'new' 4Gee Max plan. However, please can you tell me how I do this when your CS team appears to universally maintain that this both can't be done and also doesn't need to be done.

Again, your assistance would be greatly appreciated as I travel to the US I a couple of days time.

Regards.

by
Investigator

Frustrating, isn't it? The fact that the agents are so confident in what they're telling you, only adds to the confusion. Oh well, fingers crossed. 

by
Investigator

Indeed Smiley Sad - however unfortunately its typical EE. Their 4G Calling & then 4G 800 Mhz rollout was exactly the same; customer service saying the opposite of what fourm members we're saying lol - its really bad!

by

Hi @AwkwardLoki & @aaron_G

If possible could you both send me your mobile number and the chat transcript by Private Message please.

So I can get this fed back.

Again I do apologise for the mis-information.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by
Scholarly Contributor

Frustrating isn't it. I have texts and chat transcripts confirming existing max plans would benefit.

EE did nothing to fix this and removed the mid tier MAX plan meaning it can be quite a price hike to move onto a new MAX plan with similar data.

Why EE can't do something for existing max plan users is beyond me.

by
Investigator

Hi @Karen_C ; I've just sent this in a PM to you - sorry its quite lengthy; however lists all three chats.

Thanks,

Aaron.

by
Scholarly Contributor

Masybve we should all tweet @MarcAlleraEE with screenshots of our customer service interactions. Robot LOL

by
Investigator

@chistery Already have Smiley Wink

Whats even more crazy; is that there is no option at for those currently on the 40GB Max Plan (EE's top 'VIP' tariff, the same one they we're 'given away' for free recently).

Those on the original 40GB Max Plan; can only DOWNGRADE not upgrade - absoutley crazy! On top of false information, guarantee of the ability to access the 5 additional countries automatically; also we've been pied in the face as we can only downgrade to their 30GB offering (at the same cost I must add).

@AwkwardLoki @Karen_C @leanne_T

by

OK guys this gets even better. I called customer service 4 times this week  due to all the confusion over the old EE max plans and being able to roam for free in the additional 5 countries. I was categorically told that my old plan was in the agreement to roam in the USA. Guess what? I just landed in Chicago and it won't allow me to roam unless I buy an extortionate data pack. Thank God I brought my 3 Mi-fi which has always been free to use here. I think it's time for me to revert back to 3 for my phone too....At least their customer service department in Mumbai are competent and well informed.  What a debacle! 

by
Scholarly Contributor

@headridge Not ideal due to the misinformation that so many EE staff have been coming out with, but if you can text travel to 150 you might be able to add the travel data pass at £4 a day for 500MB data. Maybe complain when you get back and see what they will do about the charges.

Enjoy Chicago though, lovely city!

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.