by sclrk2 Investigator
Investigator

4G roaming - throttled?

I've got a 4G Max plan which gives me 4G roaming. I'm in New York. My phone says it's getting 4G, but the speed is dismal (0.2mbps).

It's the same with my partner who also has a 4G Max plan with 4G roaming.

Is EE throttling the speed? We bought thee SIMs to get 4G roaming. I'd have been better off staying with Three.

8 REPLIES 8
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: 4G roaming - throttled?

It won't be EE as your not connected to their network.

It'll be which ever carrier in the US you are connected to.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by sclrk2 Investigator
Investigator

You're wrong, UK carriers can throttle / shape network traffic when roaming. Three do it, as do Vodafone. 

Anyone else...?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @sclrk2

EE can throttle but It's not in EE interest to throttle as they want you to use all your data so you can buy more. @Profile closed travels to the US and will likely be able to help but I think what @BrendonH has suggested would be a good start. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by sclrk2 Investigator
Investigator

Ok I'd be interested to hear from someone in EE rather than people taking wild stabs in the dark. If a mod could reply or PM me I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@sclrk2

Just phone CS or use live chat via EE contact us page. 

Nobody will message you other than to direct you to live chat. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Profile closed
Not applicable

4G/LTE speeds are pretty abysmal in most major cities in the US.  They are more like what we are used to on 3G.

I was in New York last week and I was getting ~7Mbps down and ~30mbps up when roaming with EE on T-Mobile US 4G/LTE at my hotel on Lexington Avenue.  At JFK waiting for my flight home last Sunday, data was almost unusable it was that slow.

I also have a T-Mobile US hotspot and whilst that was marginally faster than I was getting whilst roaming with EE, it wasn't much better.

The problem with many of the US mobile networks is that they simply don't have the same sort of network capacity we are used to on EE in the UK.

Try AT&T as you can also roam on them in the US as well.  You will need to do a manual network search to switch between AT&T and T-Mobile US.

by
EE Employee

Hi @sclrk2 and welcome to the community.

4GEE Max customers will get our fastest available speeds both at home and abroad. This applies for all our 4GEE Max Plans – taken before and from 10 May 2017.

Please note that data speeds will be depend on the local network you’re using and may not be as fast as in the UK.

Please do try and switch networks as advised by @Profile closed.

Let us know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

On non Max plans, EE admit they throttle but don't seem to be able to tell us what the limit is.

I don't know why people still try and convince people that it must always be the roaming carrier that is causing the slowness. Sending all data back to the UK and not having local breakout means the UK carrier can and do proxy it and apply filters and limits. Three UK tried doing it until they finally admitted that they severely throttle data.

I've found T-Mobile better than ATT when roaming in the US. You could also try 3G and see if that is any better.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.