by Ad13 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

4G Roaming in Ireland

I've been in Ireland for a couple of days and it appears the preferred roaming network for EE is Three as the phone automatically selects this network over any other automatically. Unfortunately, Three only allow 3G roaming, however I can manually select Meteor who allows me to roam on 4G. 

EE, why have you prioritised Three over Meteor? I'm assuming you've prioritised costs over user experience?

9 REPLIES 9
Established Contributor

Re: 4G Roaming in Ireland

Three data or calls no longer works whatsoever. It states that mobile data is unavailable. Someone please sort it out. Meteor is also not listed as a 4G roaming partner for Ireland. It clearly is as Ive been forced to use it manually. 

by
EE Employee

Hello @Ad13

Depending on where you are will depend on what network you pick up.

The phone determines what network to use and will pick up the strongest network.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

Established Contributor

Why does it always pick up Three and NEVER Meteor? The Three signal is 3G and no 4G. Meteor is 4G and stronger also according to a field test on the iPhone. The Three I'm am yet to actually connect to the Meteor network automatically for all of the time I've been here in the Dublin area. I've travelled extensively around the area too. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

You can see here, that Ireland does no to show as connecting to 4G:

http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-using-your-phone-abroad

You will need to click on: Using 4G abroad, and it does not appear on the list. Networks have to agree to other networks from other countries, to allow them to connect automatically, but if you can do so manually, then do so if it will work.

Established Contributor

Thanks for your reply. Networks don't allow you on to 4G 'by mistake'. Meteor clearly have a 4G roaming agreement. If I was being pessimistic, then perhaps it's more expensive for a EE customer to roam on to their network, so EE would increase the connection priority to Three to reduce costs. 

I'd also trust Meteor ability to roam on to their network above EE's ability to update their website list. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Here is another thread and the reply from @Karen_C is that 4G roaming in Ireland is currently not available:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4G-and-mobile-data/4g-Republic-of-Ireland/m-p/554601

Established Contributor

Hummmm... 4G roaming on Meteor Ireland is available. I'm roaming on 4G as we speak!

by kab242 Contributor
Contributor

My company iPad picked up full 4-bar 4G signal on 3 network at Dublin airport, but my iPhone would only show 3 bars of 3G on the 3 network despite switching off/on etc.

Customer services said it was because the phone connected to a different mast. 

Perhaps correct, but why would it connect to an inferior signal?

Needs fixing.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @kab242

Thanks for coming to the community.

If this happens again, can you try and connect to a different network.

To do this go into the iPhone Settings > Carrier > Turn off Automatic and search for an alternative network

Let us know how you get on after doing this.

Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.