by Kayleigh4 Investigator
Investigator

30+ days abroad

Hi all.

I am going abroad for 9 months and would like to keep my contract and phone number.

However I have been told my sim will stop working after 30 days abroad!? 

Can anyone advise visor on this? Would it be better if I changed to PAYG?

thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: 30+ days abroad

Hello @Kayleigh4

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community. Smiley Happy

If you don't mind me asking, where and for what purpose are you going abroad for? This will help answer your question in more detail. Smiley Happy

Investigator

Hi,

I am mainly travelling but also doing some work along the way- hence the need to keep my number.

I am going to many destinations inc. India, Philippines, Mexico, Japan and many others.

Just looking for a solution that helps me keep my number- when speaking to the EE call centre they said the best hing was to end my contract and buy a local sim?

Thanks! 🙂

Sent from my iPhone
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Thank you for the reply @Kayleigh4Smiley Happy

I was just checking as the new EU regulations allow you to use your contract within the EU for longer periods (more than 60 days) under some circumstances.

Depending on what you would like to do, you can either allow your contract to continue as normal with your monthly bill taken by direct debit as normal and leave your SIM somewhere at home while you travel and when you return to the U.K., you can just pop your SIM back into your phone and continue where you left off.

Alternatively, you can cancel your contract and pay your early termination fee and transfer your number to Pay As You Go. You will need to make a chargeable call, send a chargeable text message or use data to keep your SIM from deactivating. Please be aware that it will take upto 30 days for your number to transfer from Pay As You Go. Smiley Happy

Investigator

Thank you! So if I end my current contract and switch over to PAYG I will be able to keep my number and use my phone abroad for the whole 9 months?

Are there any PAYG add ons that I could use?

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone
by
EE Employee

Hi @Kayleigh4 and welcome to the community.

You are more than welcome to use your phone whilst traveling without the worry of the SIM being disconnected.

The rulings for stable links only refer to the EU/Max plan usage in the relevant countries.

You are able to purchase a monthly add on of between 60-120mins of ROW calls.

Hope that helps,

Lee

Investigator

Thanks Lee, phew that's super helpful!

Just checking- do you work for EE?

Do you have any links to the Packages I could purchase on PAYG for round the world minutes?
Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone
by
EE Employee

@Kayleigh4

I certainly do 🙂

The minute bundles would be purchased for a pay monthly account, as we do not offer bundles for a pay as you go.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Fab!

So when I call EE I'll ask to switch to PAYG once my contract is up.

I should then be able to keep my number and use my phone aboard for 9 months no prob ( as long as I make a billable charge as you highlighted!)

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone
by
EE Employee

Hi @Kayleigh4

Once the contract is up, please do give us a call and they will be able to assist.

Enjoy your time away.

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.