by Helen101 Investigator
Investigator

My Galaxy S7 turns its self on and off on its own. Help please

my phone is just 6months old and switches itself off and back on all the time. Overnight with nothing running the battery totally drains. What can I do?

12 REPLIES
by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Re: My Galaxy S7 turns its self on and off on its own. Help please

@Helen101 have you tried clearing the cache partition? Switch off then hold volume up, power key and home button, you then get a list to move down use volume down key then power button to confirm.

If that doesn't work try hard reset. 

by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the community @Helen101

Please follow the above advice and let us know how you get on with the resetting of the device.

If this does not help with your issue please pop into your local EE store as we will be able to send your device away for repair.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Helen101 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Thanks for this,but when i press volume up, power and home key all that happens is the phone just switches back on. Sorry perhaps I am being dim. You do mean all three keys at the same time?

by
EE Employee

Hi @Helen101

Please follow the below as this should help

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the device logo screen displays, release only the Power key.
  4. When the Android logo displays, release all keys ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
  5. Press the Volume down key several times key to highlight 'wipe cache partition'.
  6. Press the Power key to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight 'yes' and press the Power key to select.
  8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, 'Reboot system now' is highlighted.
  9. Press the Power key to restart the device.

Let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Helen101 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for being so precise Smiley Happy I followed it exactly and it did what you describe. Unfortunately it hasn't made any difference.

The only time it doesn't switch itself off and on is if it is on charge.

Overnight off charge, the battery went from 100 to zero switching itself on and off. Smiley Sad

Anymore ideas?

Helen

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@Helen101 call customer service tomorrow, its under warranty. Arrange with them to have it sent off to be looked at, it's a free service. Or you could go into a local EE shop and talk to them about having it looked at. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @Helen101

Thanks for trying this for us.

To add to @Rogersdave771 great advice, you can also book a repair online after running through a few steps to see if this can be fixed.

If you run through the device diagnostics on our Help page this will give you all the information you need.

Have a lovely weekend Smiley Happy

by Jay-Samsung Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @Helen101,

If you are happy to do so, hard reset the device by powering the phone off, then hold volume up, home key, and the power key for 3-5 seconds.

Use volume up and down to navigate to wipe data factory reset and the power key to select.

I would advise running the S7 with NO apps and no memory card for a couple of days to see whether this fixes the issue. If not, let the phone power itself off a few times before taking to a Samsung Service Centre.

Do not reset the phone until someone at the service centre assesses your handset. The reason for this is every time the phone powers off it stores a log of the time and date, and the reason why. Samsung can use this to determine the course of action needed to repair the phone (if it is the phone). I have seen everything from SIM and SD card causing this problem, issues following an update, 3rd party apps, and in some cases an issue with the "motherboard".

Once the log has been viewed, you can reset the phone before it goes in for repair. It will be reset as part of the repair process too.

Find your nearest Samsung Service Centre at: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/service-centre/

Hope this helps,

Jay

by Helen101 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Jay

Thanks for your help. Did everything you said but it hasn't made any difference other than the battery is draining more quickly now.

EE will have to sort this out for me as i am not in a position to get to a Samsung centre

Helen

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Helen101

Thanks for posting again Smiley Happy

Please contact technical support and they will advise of the potential next steps.

Thanks

Richard

Smiley Happy

by Helen101 Investigator
Investigator

I would but they are closed

by
EE Employee

Hi @Helen101 

You will need to speak to our customer services team but please be aware that we’ve closed two of our contact centres today, due to extreme weather in the area, in the interest of staff safety.

We expect that it’ll take a little longer than usual to answer calls. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

You can pop into your local EE store as they will be able to assist with sending your phone away for repair.

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.