cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Keeping number when switching from an old T Mobile account

773metric
Investigator
Investigator

Hello community,

I've had a T Mobile pay monthly SIM since 2014 - a microSIM. I got a new phone yesterday that only takes nanoSIMs, so I called EE to ask for a replacement SIM, with my existing number. I was offered a new (better!) monthly plan with EE, which I accepted, and was surprised to get the new SIM in the post this morning. However, I was told that the new SIM would have my old number pre-installed, and this isn't the case - it has a different number.

Do I need to do anything now, or will it magically change at some point? Do I need a PAC in order to switch numbers? I'd expect that if I was switching from outside the EE family, but T Mobile was part of EE, right?

If I do need a PAC, where do I get one from? My T Mobile online account now just says ERROR - cancelled account. My old SIM, still in my old phone, doesn't seem to be able to make or receive calls. I don't know whether that's because it's been deactivated, or whether it's a wider service issue (I live in a valley, and coverage is occasionally patchy).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
David
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@773metric if you call 0800 956 3146 from any other phone a tech advisor will be able to rectify your issue for you.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
David
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hi @773metric 

Welcome to the EE Community,

Have you placed the new sim in your phone ?

The new SIM is in the new phone, yes. I got a few texts straight away to say 'welcome to EE' and 'turn your phone off and on again and you're good to go', so I did that. Then looking at the phone settings, under SIM, it gives me the new number - the same one that was written on the SIM packet when it arrived. I can call out with it, so it works, but it isn't my old number.

David
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@773metric if you call 0800 956 3146 from any other phone a tech advisor will be able to rectify your issue for you.

Thanks David - did that, and the problem is now solved.

It turns out that my new phone is actually using my old number after all, despite what the phone's settings are telling me. Presumably it grabbed the number info the first time I put the new SIM in, but for whatever reason hasn't realised that it's since been updated. Even when I take the SIM out and put it back in again, the settings thinks it's the temporary number, but the phone is definitely using the old number as requested, which is the most important thing.

David
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@773metric glad your all sorted if you need any further help in future visit us here on the community 🙂