by Jolana Investigator
Investigator

I was told I can not keep my old phone number as my sim card showed no service.

Hi I had a really old number that I am using with whats up application but my sim card showed no service so I had to get a new one , yet my whats up is still using the old number. Why can I not transfer the old number to a new sim card?

17 REPLIES 17
by Legend
Legend

Re: I was told I can not keep my old phone number as my sim card showed no servi

Hi @Jolana

You can transfer your number. How did you obtain your new SIM? Is your new SIM a new account/tariff?

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Jolana Investigator
Investigator

Re: I was told I can not keep my old phone number as my sim card showed no servi

My new sim is from the EE shop in Cardiff, it is just pay as you go. Who would help me to transfer my old number?

thanks

Jolana

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Jolana,

Welcome to the community 🙂

Did you get your pay as you go sim card replaced due to a fault with the SIM card?

Could it have been due to the pay as you go hibernation terms that your SIM card was cut off?

You said you were using your number just for WhatsApp. Can you remember the last time you made a chargeable call or text from the SIM card?

Alex 🙂

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Jolana wrote:

My new sim is from the EE shop in Cardiff, it is just pay as you go. Who would help me to transfer my old number?

thanks

Jolana

Did you mean WhatsApp? If you did then in WhatsApp go into Settings, Change Number and follow the instructions given there. Do this while you have your new SIM in. The Whatsapp app should send a text to your new number for you to verify after you have entered it and pressed to go ahead. Simply verify the code and your number should change on Whatsapp.

If you did mean Whats Up, then what is that?

by Jolana Investigator
Investigator

Hi Alex,

yes I have been travelling so did not call from my Sim so it could have been because of the hibernation, but my number was still on their system, signed to T-mobile so I thought I could keep it. Now I have new sim and new phone number, yet my whats up is still linked to the old number - and changing over would mean loosing too many contacts ..etc 

by Jolana Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

No I am actually interested about transfering my old number to a new Sim card...WhatsApp is still using my old number and I dont want to change it unless I have to.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Jolana

as the number is disconnected it cant be transferred.

by Jolana Investigator
Investigator

even though it still came up on the EE system and was registered to T mobile?

by

Hi @Jolana,

Although your SIM card had disconnected, you might still be able to reactivate it and keep the number. It depends how long it has been since you made a chargeable call from the SIM card.

I would give our customer care team a call and they will be able to check your T-Mobile account. They will be able to let you know all of your options based on your account information 🙂

Come back and let us know how you get on once you have spoken to them.

Alex 🙂

Highlighted
by Jolana Investigator
Investigator

So basically I cant have the old number as it is not active anymore, but I can use it on whats app ...

by

Good Afternoon @Jolana

Have you spoke with our mobile care team?

Speak soon, Katie 🙂

by Jolana Investigator
Investigator

yes, ..thats what they said .. 😞 

by

I am sorry to hear this @Jolana.

Let me know if you have any further questions, 

Katie 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

How can What'sApp be using your old no. when it's deactivated? How can you be using What'sApp from a deactivated SIM?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Jolana Investigator
Investigator

well no one has answered me this question, thats why I thought it must be still active ..

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, the answer seems to be that you've not used this SIM for a chargeable action for over the 9 months it has gone into hibernation & then been completely deactivated. You have therefore lost this no. for good.

Your old no. isn't actually being actively used by WhatsApp as it can't send or receive msgs on an inactive no. All it is is that your old no. is configured into WhatsApp but it can't use it. You need to change the no. known to WhatsApp to your new no. as previously advised by @Profile closed..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by

Good Morning @Jolana

@XRaySpeX is correct, you will need to update your WhatsApp to your new number. 

This can be done in your account settings on WhatsApp. 

Thanks, Katie 🙂

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.