by jostro65 Investigator
Investigator

who can add chargeable packs?

when i joined EE (when it was one2one/t-mobile, yeah, that long ago), only account holders or password holders could add chargeable features/packs. 

When did this change?

i have extra numbers on my account which my sons use, and there was always this safety net to ensure they couldn't just add or change things without me knowing/authorising.

this month i get bill with additional £91 (+vat) for data bundles added over the course of the month. They weren't added by account holder or password holder, they were added directly from the phone, not by someone calling CS and providing details to prove they were authorised to do so. 

Before anyone jumps in going on about my responsibility when letting my boys use the phones, I fully accept MY responsibilities, but I also expect EE to do the same by adhering to the policies in place when I took the phones, instead of letting anyone run up charges without account holders approval.

Disgusted with CS attitude when i called them and this just ensures that my last 2 numbers i have on EE will be closed at end of contract.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Employee
Solution

Re: who can add chargeable packs?

Good Morning @jostro65

On Orange and T-Mobile you did have to call up to add additional bundles, which would of needed to be the account holder or an authorised third party.

However it works different on EE - a sharer on an account can purchase additional data bundles when their data runs out.

This can be managed by the account holder in your My EE account.

Once logged in go to Menu > Manage Device > Usage Controls > Buy Data Add-ons > you can then click Block.

You can do this for every device on the account.

Customer Services can also do this for you but it's easier to manage within My EE.

Hope this helps!

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

7 REPLIES 7
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @jostro65 sorry to hear you have received unexpected data charges on your EE bill. Due to this being a public user forum access to accounts is not allowed to check or query your bill through here, this would have to go through customer service on 150 from

an EE phone or 07953 966 250 from any other. If you are a personal pay monthly customer on an EE plan you can also access Live Chat using one of the ways mentioned in this link:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/EE-Live-Chat-ways-to-chat-online/td-p/527811

It is possible to purchase extra data for any EE account by using this link directly from the SIM. :):

http://add-on.ee.co.uk

by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the Community @jostro65

I understand your frustration with this situation.

As @Profile closed has mentioned data can be added by following the link he has provided.

You are able to bar any other users adding more data this would be done by customer services.

Many thanks,

Lee

by jostro65 Investigator
Investigator

Thx for the input guys, the link is where the problem lies. It enables the user to effectively access the account and add charges without proper authorisation and without the knowledge/approval of the bill payer.

Re the bars to block this, CS acknowledge the bar was not in place but cannot tell me when/who removed it and why, or even if it was originally applied to the account when the ability to buy the packs via the phones was first put in place.

So basically it doesn't matter what protection is in place on your account re passwords etc, as they're not needed for EE to add charges without acc holder approval.

Surely this is an issue with account security but CS don't see it this way....

by
EE Employee

Hi @jostro65

The block is something that has to be requested to be placed onto any account.

Many thanks,

Lee

by jostro65 Investigator
Investigator

Hi again Lee,

I hope you're not speaking officially for EE because I find your last statement quite stunning. From previously not needing any bar applied due to anything being added having to be done through CS, (therefore having to pass DPA), to EE then giving any user the ability to add services without permission, without automatically adding a bar which only the account holder can remove(thus accepting any charges) is the equivalent of opening my account to anyone without telling me then blaming me for not calling in to say "please dont"!

Am I missing something?

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @jostro65 @Lee_H has gone home for the day now. 

The add add on page is available to all EE users by default and if a user (you) does not want access to this page for certain reasons (such as a third party will be using the line) then customer service can block access to it. Unfortunately because this is a public user forum access to accounts is not allowed for anyone to check the status of the bar or apply/remove it though here, but customer service can either over the phone or via Live Chat mentioned above. 🙂

by
EE Employee
Solution

Good Morning @jostro65

On Orange and T-Mobile you did have to call up to add additional bundles, which would of needed to be the account holder or an authorised third party.

However it works different on EE - a sharer on an account can purchase additional data bundles when their data runs out.

This can be managed by the account holder in your My EE account.

Once logged in go to Menu > Manage Device > Usage Controls > Buy Data Add-ons > you can then click Block.

You can do this for every device on the account.

Customer Services can also do this for you but it's easier to manage within My EE.

Hope this helps!

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.