by ballista Established Contributor
Established Contributor

upgrade and number migration delay

Just got off from contacting CW and EE and apparently my number could take up to 5 days to be migrated properly from old sim to new sim. Carphone originally said would take 24 hrs which is misleading as am past now and when I called them they changed this to 5 days! EE said they cannot do anything as they have no record of order as it's all done by CW so no choice but to wait and carry about 2 phones. I have been assured it will migrate properly. The old sim and new sim are same size anyway so I could just old one in new phone but don't wanna do anything to mess up migration now. Just a warning if you're expecting instant migration when upgrading through CW it ain't gonna happen (not for me anyway). They had best deals this time so chose them for a change. ho hum nothing ever goes to plan

21 REPLIES 21
by
EE Employee

Re: upgrade and number migration delay

Welcome back @ballista

I understand your frustration with this issue.

You are more than welcome to continue using your old SIM in your new device until that cuts off (make sure you have your new SIM with you at all times)

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

And by swapping back to using old sim in new phone, that would not affect the migration of my main account number in any way? Sorry to sound dumb but my friend had a really bad experience with vodafone and a failed number swap and they stated was her fault for activating wrong sim so even though I have been with EE a while now, upgrade time is always a cautious one

by stuarttunstall Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I ported my number from Vodafone to EE last week, I got my PAC Code from Vodafone at 12.30 last Thursday, contacted EE just after and the whole process was completed by 1.30 on Friday (last week) no issues at all.. 

Stuart

Established Contributor

That's good but then it's only one new sim your going to use, in my situ I have an old sim and new sim with same account at the moment, as I am an upgrade rather than coming from another operator to EE so I not sure which one to use!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ballista. You can if you wish use your old sim in your new device and Vice versa as your still on EE.  Just remember when it's migrated to put the sims back in the other device. 

The migration should only take up to 24 hours as your only moving your number from an old SIM card to a new SIM card. And your not porting a number to EE from another network,  I.e. Voda to EE.    Migrations can also happen over the weekend where as a number port doesn't. 

Established Contributor

Fingers crossed.. so far am at about 31 hours i think, just a pain. I thought it would be instantaneous being an upgrade even through a third party. Last time was pretty quick I recall and that was a different sim and think was an online site again rather than shop or ee directly. When there's any delay you are always concerned something will go wrong. My number has been with me for years and don't wanna lose it

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @ballista.

Hope this is done soon for you!

Let us know how you get on 🙂 

Established Contributor

Ahh ... I see 🙂 

Seems strange that CW are transfering from one SIM to another if the original SIM fits both handsets.. 

When I was with Vodafone I upgraded a few times and each time, although Vodafone sent me a new SIM I just swapped the SIM from one handset to the other... 

Stuart

Established Contributor

Well, CW would not know what model my previous phone is as at no part of the order process did they ask so I assume that they would also assume that it might be different and thus auto migrate to the sim they supplied with order, no? I have also been told some newer sims have some different features which a user might thus wish to use. But, hey might be wrong and number never migrates and use old sim hence how did CW know that it would work? I am making this more confusing hehe

Established Contributor

Lol ...does not take much to confuse me these days.... 

From my experience with Vodafone the new SIM needed to be activated when it arrived and matched to my account and number, so I just never did this.. maybe CW automatically supply the handset and SIM together and start the transfer process automatically as "part of the service" 

Not sure if SIMS add different features, mine must have beed 5-6 years old, maybe more 🙂 although I upgraded a couple of times inbetween.. 

Established Contributor

Hmm, apparently now CW have said there was an upgrade error which I would not have found out had I not decided to contact them today through twitter. Good news is if I go to a store they will sort it but then do I trust that? Asked them shall I just use old sim as I mentioned before and they said not sure due to migration process and need to check with EE. Groan.. trip to store. Last upgrade was faultless, typical am due a failure I guess.

by
EE Employee

Hi @ballista

Do let us know how you get on after the visit.

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

..An unmitigated disaster. Did not feel confident walking in the CW store and lo and behold am no further forward. As soon as I saw the puzzled look on the guy's face when viewing his screen as to why my upgrade failed I sort of knew outcome would be poor. Only option they could give me was to do a fresh upgrade right there and then which we tried but when the offer was more £ than the contract I already did last week, I said flat no, I wish original deal to be honoured! End result they are telling me to contact CW online/phone again, I mean how they could not resolve for me I don't know, same company aren't they? Maybe it's EEs fault, the carphone tech guy said it appears a stop was put on the upgrade due to the price difference from my existing contract but then if that's the case why are EE offering me a 'standard' upgrade free of charge but then only if dearer than my current contract?? Like, that's a way to retain customers? With CW and EE blaming each other, I am lost and not prepared to spend more £ (lost significant wages this afternoon) phoning and travelling. I guess I will lose out as my contract will roll on at same price level and assume carphone warehouse will eventually be in touch to tell me formally that upgrade failed and could I please return new phone? I really want to keep it but am kinda stuck if my number will not migrate to it and I have no upgrade contract as such. Stressed..

by
EE Employee

Hi @ballista

I understand your frustration with this issue.

As the upgrade was processed by CPW and investigate would have to be completed by themselves.

A price difference should not stop a upgrade going through as we deal with tariff changes on a daily basis.

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Thanks for the info on price diff Lee. I'm just not sure what best course of action is now, I'm still with EE obvious but feel like I don't want anything to do with carphone now. Still not 100% certain whether I have an upgrade or not and what to do with new phone

by
EE Employee

Hi @ballista

Please do give our Customer Service Team a call as they will be able to check your account to see if there is any notes relating to the issue.

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Thanks. Am prob gonna send it back and get a refund from what CW have taken from me and re-try fresh upgrade through someone else. CW are off my list of options now for the forseeable future. Will get in touch with EE tell them not to do anything that will de-activate my current sim and go back to old phone for a spell

Established Contributor

I made decision to scrap CW and return handset today plus rather than wait I've just upgraded afresh with EE directly. OK it was a couple pound dearer than what was originally looking for but got extra 1gb of data and piece of mind that it will probably work this time! I not totally put off third parties as previous ones I've used were fine and they do usually offer better deals than network direct deals but carphone messed up what should have been simple and a week later they still couldn't give me an answer as to why it failed. End of!

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for upgrading with EE @ballista Smiley Happy

I hope everything goes smoothly for you this time.

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.