Highlighted
by
Explorer

my ex sold my contract mobile device how to report

Not to sure if this is the right one. But just found out my ex after giving me back the contract sim actually sold the contract phone. Any ideas how I can track this? And report it? 

15 REPLIES
by
Star Contributor

Re: my ex sold my contract mobile device how to report

Whos name is the contract in? Yours or your Ex's?

If it is in your name just ring EE to block the phone.

If it is in your Ex's name there is nothing you can do.

Brendon (Android Expert)
Samsung Galaxy S8+ Midnight Black (Nougat 7.0)
by
Grand Master

@Jenbob91  was this device yours or hers ?  Was it a gift for her to use ? 

by
Explorer

It was in my name due to her not able to have a contract due to poor credit. We was going to transfer the name after 3 months of her paying me but this never happened. I paid every bill, she paid nothing towards it. When I asked for it back. She cut the SIM card up which was easy to replace, but said she smashed and threw the phone in a river. I now have knowledge she has sold it. 

by
Ace Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello @Jenbob91

Thank you for visiting the Community today. Smiley Happy

If you contact EE customer service on 150 from any EE phone or 07953966250 from any other phone and they will blacklist the phone, which will prevent anyone else from using it when they insert another SIM into the phone.

by
Grand Master

@Jenbob91  So this was a gift to her.    You do not have the legal right to blacklist this device you can not ask for it back as it was a gift to her.   

by
Star Contributor

@Chris_B is correct. The OP states she/he was paying then for the contract so the phone belongs to her/him. 

Brendon (Android Expert)
by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @Jenbob91

Just to confirm if the contract is in your name and you pay for the bills, you would need to report it as stolen.

Once you've reported it you can then contact customer services who can blacklist the phone.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by
Star Contributor

@Karen_C

Isn't there other sort of legal loop holes here?

The OP got it as a gift as their eX couldn't get a contract.

The ex was paying the Op every month for the price of the contract so wouldn't the law see it as the phone belonged to the ex.

But I do see your point as the OP would be left to pay the contract off so would needed the phone to help pay that contract off.

Just a grey area here really. 

Brendon (Android Expert)
by

Hi @BrendonH

It can be a grey area.

It's not a gift when there's a contract associated with the device.

The customer mentions that they've been paying all of the bills as well.

So in affect the customers phone has been stolen - if it's in their name and they've been paying for bills.

by
Grand Master

@Karen_C   If the device was a gift then you can not report it lost as the device is not yours even if you pay the bill,  I said this to another customer once and got a ticking off for it you are in fact you’ll telling someone to to commit fraud. 

You can however pay off the contract. 

by

Hi @Chris_B

You can't gift a device that is purchased as part of a contract.

I've double checked and the customer can definitely blacklist the phone.

by
Grand Master

@Karen_C  In that case why did I receive a warning from one of the moderators for telling someone todo exactly this.    But thanks for the information as this will be very handy to know for future reference. 

by

Hi @Chris_B

No problem!

I'm not sure why that would of flagged with mods.

by
Maestro

Hi, @Karen_C

@Chris_B

@BrendonH

Contractually the OP as the contract owner can do as they see fit with the handset within the terms of their agreement with EE. It is common practice to allow someone else to use a contract/phone somone else owns, as parents do with their kids.  The OP can have the phone blacklisted as they are the contract owner. 

However in this case the OP ex has sold the phone. If the OP decides to claim on their insurance for a stolen/lost handset but fails to mention his ex and the selling of the handset then this is fraud, if the OP does mention the ex then the claim will likely be declined as it's neither lost or stolen,  if he allowed his ex to use it.  ( OP need to check their policy for specific exclusions) 

The solution is for the OP to blacklist the phone and then issue small claims court proceedings against his ex for the replacement handset cost. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekdays and until 8pm on weekends. Calls outside that time (till 10pm weekdays and 8pm on weekends) cost 50p per call. These costs also apply to calls to 07953 966 250.
by

Hi @Northerner

That's correct the customer wouldn't be able to claim - if they had insurance for the phone.

It can certainly be blacklisted by the account holder.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.