by cj7 Investigator
Investigator

iPhone mis-selling by EE Employee

After a absolutely aweful experience with EE sales staff over the telephone (specifically Megan from Newastle call centre). I wanted to warn other EE customers. ALWAYS record calls when offered an upgrade on the telephone. I was called and offered an upgarde to iPhone 8 64GB for no upfront cost and £19.40 a month whilst still matching my existing deal of unlimted calls and txts and 2GB of data. 

However, even though this was all explained in explicit details the contract EE says I have agreed to is £34 PCM £50 upfront.  I have given EE the exact time and date of the calls and the number from which they orignated and whilst it turns out Megan is a legitimate EE employee they cannot find the call recordings to either of the two call placed by EE in which they spelt out the terms of the deal (very convienient!) and therefore EE say pay £34 a month or return the device. This is a warning to anyone who agrees to upgrade over the phone... don't until you have an electronic copy of terms and record calls.  

I have previously upgraded with EE and they sent information to my handset to accept in realtime for contract upgrades I have no idea why this excellent system is no longer used.  

Now you would think as this was mis selling by an genuine EE employee they would honor it... All I can say is not so far.  

It was such a good deal I also signed up my girlfirend for the same deal so now I have two contracts to unwind or negotiate with EE over.  

In my opinion EE is a great network but the miselling situation has led to a complete lack of faith. So everyone record your calls and of course for compliance inform the operative you are doing so.  

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: iPhone mis-selling by EE Employee

@cj7  You have 14 days from getting the device to call customer services and tell them you don’t want it.   It’s your choice as you get a 14 day cooling of period with online and phone sales.   It’s now up to you if you keep or return the device.  

oh can I just add if you record any calls you need to inform the other party first.  Failure to do so you can not use that recording to back you up.

And just to add EE do not offer that device with out an upfront fee at such a low tariff price.  

The base model iPhone 8 is £599 and with what your saying you’ll only pay £480 including calls/texts and data over 24 months.  You’ll never get the iPhone 8 at that price point without a upfront cost and it’ll be more than £50

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

To add to what @Chris_B has said, @cj7, when I upgraded to a new phone, I received text messages, where I had to click on a link to accept the deal and could see what I was getting and paying, also received emails, I believe, so am surprised that you did not have any of this, but you can return and cancel your new contract and remain with what you have, once you receive your new phones, if you do not wish to pay the monthly fees and upfront costs.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

You actually don’t need to inform the other party if you record the call, that’s a common misconception.

You don’t to tell them or even need their permission if the recording is just for your own personal use.

Where you do have to be very very careful though is what you then do with that recording once it’s been made.  If you publish it anywhere without the other persons permission, you are then breaking the law.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi  and welcome to the community, @cj7

I'm sorry to read that you're not happy with the way your contract was sold.

There obviously is a big discrepency between what you say Megan advised and what you have received.

I've sent you a private message to get some more information from you.

Please take a look and get back to me, I'll do my best to get you some help.

Thanks

Chris

by cj7 Investigator
Investigator

That's a really important point you've raised (thankyou) if the information does not come through to your phone to confirm the deal in real time I would now automatically assume mis selling or fraud is in progress even if the employee on the end of the line is a genuine EE employee that can quote your account details, which from my experience EE will care little about and then have the audasity to say you entered into the contract willingly and the contract stands even though the terms are completly different to those quoted. The entire experience even up to executive level and miniscule compensation payments has confirmed to me that EE could not care less about customers only sales and profits. Plus a telecommuncations company that does not record its own calls when discussing contract terms seems obsured in this day and age. I will spend the rest of my life telling everyone I meet to simply choose another network.  Moving our entire work based mobile and data contract to a new provider when it comes up for renewal in a few months will be my responce to this entire experience.  It would have worked out signifcantly cheaper for EE to have honoured my contract as quoted on the sales call but I refuse to use that as a bargining tool and wish to act as any other individual consumer. 

I have as advised retrned the handset and am being put back to my previous tariff. However the number of hours wasted on the phone have been significant.  Thankyou all for your excellent advice. I hope others read this and are saved the distress, time wasted and sheer frustration that I have experienced. 

by cj7 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the updated information regarding call recording. 

by cj7 Investigator
Investigator

Christopher_G thanks for the offer but this issue is already being investigated by EE. 

by cj7 Investigator
Investigator

If an EE employee can explain how it is the case that when EE has the facility to send the contract details direct to handsets.... Why isn't this mandatory then I could have spotted the fraud immediately? I work within the I.T. sector and still struggle to believe EE do not record outbound calls for new contracts in 2019 we do as a matter of course and can retrieve them in minutes it takes EE 72 hours to decide they don't have them.  The dishonest employee in question has now left the organisation this should stop others having to go through this exhausting experience for now.  Don't for one minute think a company making over £1.3 billion a year will honour contractual deals made by their employees.  Without better safeguards in place it disappoints me to realise that this will without doubt happen again and with slight improvements to compliance processes EE could stamp this out completely if they choose to make that decision.   

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@cj7, it sounds like you encountered a rogue. Did you get called by EE or did not get called by a third party company? If you got called by a third party then did it have explicit permission to act on behalf of EE or did it just claim have it?

Whichever it was, the rogue may have known that the recording wasn't on or wasn't working. The person may have told you lies off their own back, or it might have been general practice in a third party company. Some of those third party companies are very dodgy from the top down and probably don't actually have conversation recording equipment anyway.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.