by RIchardLow Investigator
Investigator

Why do I seem to use so much data?

I don't have any wifi at home, so this may be partly the reason, but it seems I'm constantly buying big add ons and it's getting really expensive! 

8 REPLIES 8
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Why do I seem to use so much data?

What device do you have?

Have you turned off apps using data in the background? As this is always happening by default.

How much data do you have?

Have you turned the phone back up to only do it when you manually back up or is this automatic?

So many questioned before the naswer can be addressed.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Configure your device to:

• Only do Software Update over WiFi.
  • Restrict background data.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Apple iPhone SE, my data plan is 4GEE MAX PLAN 15GB £42.99 . Iv turned the apps that I dont use often off, but when I need them again, I turn them on again then forget to turn them back off 🙈 I assume my back ups are automatic, I'm not entirely sure and not too sure on how to check this? 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Chris_B one for you

@RIchardLow I have tagged Chris as he is the resident Apple expert as I don't know the settings etc for Apple. I'm a Android user.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Investigator

@BrendonH Thank you 🙂 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@RIchardLow  Hi.   In the device go to Settings>General>Background App Refresh and turn off any apps that you don’t want Rubin the background.  Facebook is a big data user so if this is on it will update in the background,  just have it update when you use it.  

Do you use YouTube?  If you do have you gone in the the Settings on your YouTube account and changed the setting so you don’t watch in HD as this users large amounts of data. 

On the device you can in privacy change what settings are tracking your location you don’t need these all on if you don’t need them.

I did a post awhile ago about data usage what how to preserve your data.  I’ll  have a look for it and post a link for you. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @RIchardLow and welcome to the community. 🙂

That helpful link that @Chris_B posted should definitely help you get the most out of your mobile data.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.