by CraigD14 Investigator
Investigator

Where is the downgrade option to go to rolling contract?

I find it quite frustrating that having spoken to EE over the phone and not being able to help a customer (me) of 22 years (orange/EE) get a good deal on an upgrade that i have to resort to downgrading to a monthly rolling contract.  Being told i can only do this online and not over the phone.  Yet 30 min later i am still trying to find out where on EE website EE have hidden this option to prevent EE customers from doing this.  I guess its a crocked marketing ploy to stop you from lowing your payments after your out of contract and have already paid for the phone.  they want to keep on charging you the full amount and do what they can to prevent making it obvious how to do this on there website.

Anywhere able to give me a link on how i can do this please?

Looks like i will take my business elsewhere if EE does not want my business.

thank you

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: Where is the downgrade option to go to rolling contract?

Hi there @CraigD14

Thanks for posting on the community.

I have sent you a private message on here for some details.

Leanne.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

After the min contract term you are auto on a rolling contract but it won't save you money. These contracts don't just end. After the min. term they just carry on on a rolling month's notice basis at the same price until you explicitly cancel or upgrade.

What you should do to save you money is "upgrade" to a SIM-Only contract. You should be able to do this thro' your MyEE.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@CraigD14 if your after a 30 day SIM only only the upgrades team can process that for you 12 month SIM only contracts are better value for money though as @XRaySpeX  said you can do that through MyEE.

by CraigD14 Investigator
Investigator

Which magazine made everyone aware 3 years ago that customers were paying for phones that already paid for when out of contract.  the monthly price is supposed to be reduced and remove the monthly charge for the phone.  i did this years ago on my previous phone and EE reduced my monthly contract.

talking to the EE advisor today he apologised that they still did not have a system that would auto update a customers contract so that the phone charge would be removed after the term of the contract.  indicated that now i can only remove this monthly charge by selecting a rolling monthly contract on the EE website.  i could also do it by signing up to a 12 month contract and he could have done it there and then.  however i didnt want to be tied down as it looks like EE are trying to be as unhelpful as possible and so not sure  i approve of this tactic and keeping my options open by going rolling.

So i know it can be done as i did it previously.  Also i trust which magazine,  which are the ones that highlighted this issue few years back.  so i just need someone to please point me to the proper place on this site that i can achieve this.  other wise the EE advisor is giving false information.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2019/new-measures-fairness-for-mobi...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/clear-fair-mobile-handset-charges

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/09/mobile-providers-are-charging-people-for-phones-they-already-ow...

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2018-09-19‌‌/stop-charging-customers-phones-they-already-own-citize...

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-4997688/Britons-handset-inclusive-deals-routinely-...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45561044

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41679408

if they dont sort it and since i was palmed off by ee rep i should probably complain to ofcom for making it near impossible to go to rolling with ease

thank you

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@CraigD14  you can move to a 30 day SIM only contract.

by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Hi there @CraigD14

Thanks for posting on the community.

I have sent you a private message on here for some details.

Leanne.

View solution in original post

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@CraigD14 wrote:

phones that already paid for when out of contract.  the monthly price is supposed to be reduced and remove the monthly charge for the phone. 

EE are not compelled to do what you & Which? say. There are no laws or regs to make them do so. EE has no contract where the handset part of the price is taken off. The only way to do it is to do it yourself by moving to a SIM-Only contract.

OFCOM doen't handle individual complaints & anyway won't get involved in contractual matters.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

OFCOM have forced all networks to send end of contract notifications, but as usual they allowed a long implementation period, so EE have till Feb 2020 to get the system in place. 

by CraigD14 Investigator
Investigator

All sorted now.

EE called me and they sorted it out over the phone and now halved my plan and got extra Data.  rolling, no contract so lets see if jan sales has a Samsung Note 9 for a decent deal.

EE also confirmed that yes the customer is not to be charged after the hand set is paid off but their is no automatic process yet and so has to be done directly with customer.

Thank you 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.