by EE Community Manager
EE Community Manager

What’s EE Data Gifting and how do I get it?

With Data Gifting EE pay monthly mobile customers with multiple line subscriptions on the same account can stay in control and move data between numbers within that account

chris b cropped.pngImage of MyEE app

I have multiple numbers on my account – is this for me?

Yes, it is. If you are the lead account holder for 2 or more numbers you can now control the ability of those lines to purchase additional mobile data or make international and premium calls. You can even share data, so if one of your accounts is getting low you can share some of your excess, simply by logging into the MyEE app and going to Family Usage. It’s really easy to do.

To see who's eligible tap "read more" below: 

Read more

Can you use Data Gifting? 

✓ EE pay monthly Mobile and Mobile Broadband
✓ Have more than 1 mobile device on the same account.
✓ Which have their own fixed re-occurring monthly data allowance i.e. do not share someone else data and plan has with a specific data allowance (not an unlimited data allowance).
✓ Have more than 500mb of data remaining at the time of the gifting request.
✓ Have downloaded and use the latest version of the My EE App.

Then the answer is yes! 

This is currently only available to personal plans and not business or corporate plans, including business customers using consumer plans.

Who can share data?

Only the person who runs the data can gift data, but they can gift it from any linked account, so if your teenager has been heavy on the downloads and your partner still has at least 500MB left on their account, you can give the teen a bit more data from your partner’s account.

Does this work for both linked and shared plans?

Not directly, but you can move data from a linked account to share across a shared plan.

For example:

1. Your teen is on your shared plan
  2. You’ve both run out of data
  3. Your partner has plenty of data left on their own plan
  4. You move 1 GB data from your partner’s plan to yours
  5. Both you and your teen have 1 GB data to share

How long will Data Gifts last?

Data Gifts can’t be carried over month to month and all your lines will reset to their original data plan at the start of each month.

Can I change who runs the data?

Yes you can, but you’ll need to log in to My EE online to make the changes

Data Gifting is perfect for giving users flexibility, peace of mind and provide reassurance over bills. 

To find out how it works we’ve got some easy to follow videos and there’s also a Help page with full information, but please tap reply below if you have any questions.

Community guidelines Community stars programme

Meet the EE Community teamHow to use the community
64 REPLIES 64
by colingwalker Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Re: What’s Data Gifting and how do I get it?

I contacted support as I keep getting errors and according to your support staff 'Data Gifting' isn't up and running yet. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @collingwalker and welcome back to the community.

Data Gifting certainly is available, what error message are you seeing?

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Hi

Just “were having trouble showing all the info yo’re looking for. Please try again later’

Your support team also told me its not active yet... I asked whether it was something that activated on my account and he said no...

Chat Transcript
Info: Thank you for choosing to chat with us. An agent will be with you shortly.
Info: You are now chatting with Kamal.
Info:
Kamal: Hi, welcome to EE, the UK's biggest and fastest network. I'm Kamal on EE Service Chat in Derry. How may I help you today?
Colin Walker: On the IOS app there was a recent addition of gifting Data, however it doesn't work, is this something I need to set up?
Kamal: Let me check the account for you.
Kamal: Please help me with your full name?
Colin Walker: Colin Walker
Kamal: Are you on my EE application?
Colin Walker: yes logging in now.
Colin Walker: hello?
Kamal: I have spoken to my manger and this feature is not active.
Colin Walker: On my account or with EE
Kamal: It is under construction and once it will be active we will notify you.
Kamal: It is with EE.
Colin Walker: So why is it included within the App and not added later
Kamal: It is still under development, you will need to wait for an official notification when the feature is available.
Colin Walker: Would have made sense then not to include it an App upgrade and wait till the service was live...
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@colingwalker  You've been told  porky pies as it does work and can post the images to prove it if you wish.     

Does you account qualify for data gifting ? You can not do this with any business tariff.  And you can not gift data to an individual if they are on a share plan and they are sharing and not the lead of that share plan.  You can gift data the the lead and then that data is shared by everyone on the share tariff.    And remember all the devices have to be on the same account to share data too.  You can not share data to a different account. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @colingwalker

i will indeed pass this feedback over as it is certainly a live feature.

@Chris_B managed to perform this yesterday, he has a thread with images showing this.

Cheers

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Established Contributor

I have 8 contracts on my account, I am the main account holder. With the EE App when I look at my Data it says DATA(SHARED) this is from when I had an ActionCam on the account that shared my data.

My contract is the only one with SHARED wording associated with the DATA.

I'm using an iPhone X, all other iPhones on the accounts are 7's and SE's

IMG_5210.jpeg

by
EE Employee

Hi @colingwalker

I would recommend giving our technical support team another call/live chat, just to make sure nothing is conflicting on your account.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Robinsonboy1 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Mine is doing the exact same?! 

by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the community @Robinsonboy1

Have you spoken to the technical team to look into this for you?

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Hi, According to the EE Technical Level 2 have advised that iPhone access is being phased in bit by bit unlike android with 20% iPhone now having access to the service.

So although the service is available, it's not available to everyone at present. It would be nice for someone at EE to let those customers, like myself, know what is happening and not just told to keep phoning technical or suggesting there are issues with our phones or account...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@colingwalker   That the first I’ve heard of that.  And does it say on here that it’s being  phased-in bit by bit.  No it says it’s now available.   All you should be doing is updating the my EE app to the newest version and that’s it’s you good to go.  From what I can remember all EE stars that can use this service  access to it.   What at the chances of that if it’s only a few ( 20%)  of EE customers. 

Established Contributor

I have the latest version of the app, latest version of iOS, there are no issues on my account and after spending several hours on the phone and emailing that was the response from EE. Don't shoot the messenger, EE has customers who cant use the service, accept it and get it sorted.

IMG_5300.png

by Demoman1
Explorer

When is data sharing starting

@colingwalker wrote:

I contacted support as I keep getting errors and according to your support staff 'Data Gifting' isn't up and running yet. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@colingwalker  I don’t have to sort anything as I’m a customer just like you I don’t work for EE.  

by Robinsonboy1 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I spoke to someone yes, they said there is quite a large number of customers that that isn’t working for and they don’t have a fix time for it. Told me to just restart my phone and log out/in the app now and then to see if it’s working.

he even tried to gift data from his end for me and it wouldn’t even work for him! 

Established Contributor

Don't suggest in comments then that all I have to do is update an app and all will be fine, its the EE system that is at fault.

Accept that not all customers have the same experience of the services provided by EE. Some of us have to wait and please don't assume that it's other uses that have out of date apps that cause them a problem. 

EE have a problem with releasing Data Gifting to all its customers and will not admit publicly there is an issue, they would rather just keep giving false and inconsistent information to their customers.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @colingwalker,

Are you still having the same issue today or is it now working for you?

Thanks

James

Established Contributor

Still can’t do the gifting from my iPhone.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.